Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

ascanbe wrote: »
    I didn't get the impression he was advocating a game of chicken. Seemed to me he was suggesting that we negotiate from a position that suggests that anything would be better than the position we are currently in. To say 'we simply cannot afford this debt and it will destroy us'. He made a point of suggesting that a main tenet of the negotiational standpoint should concentrate on some kind of federalisation of the debt.
    Perhaps he has some kind of hidden agenda to take down Europe etc; but i've seen no proof of it before and didn't tonight.

He's counting on them offering to take on our debt, otherwise we pull the trigger. That's a game of chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

ArtSmart wrote: »
    i dont disagree with what gangly is saying, but rather the reasons he's saying it.
    Please enlighten us as to his reason?

No conspiracy theories please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ArtSmart wrote: »
    found boards election results. em, not exactly em, exact.

Well, demographically, it's totally inaccurate (At least, I hope it is! I'd hate to think that only 20% of the female electorate bothered to vote!) But, it might be a good reflection of how certain demographic cohorts vote.

I'm more interested in the election after this. Now that will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Craebear wrote: »
    I take it you voted Fine Gael then?

How I voted is between me and the ballot box, its one of the few items of privacy we have in this state.

I do dislike Ganley though because he seeks to use his money to propogate his right-wing politics, he rather reminds me of Ross Perot in how he uses his wealth to pursue his agenda.

He should have put himself before the electorate in this campaign but he was too chicken***t.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I don't think there is any chance of Germany dumping the euro. If they were worried about a weak currency they never would have joined the euro. They had by far the strongest currency and always knew they would be switching to a weaker one.
    There hasn't been any indication that they would consider dropping it.

They're hardly going to show their hand until the play it. Merely talking about dropping the euro would severely deepen the crisis and likely become a self fulfilling prophecy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

does Michael Noonan remind anyone else of

dr_evil.jpg
    Ah now, Michael Noonan has been using the Oil of Olay for years

00042683-640.jpg

He should have put himself before the electorate in this campaign but he was too chicken***t.

No, he's not too chicken schit. He was merely biding his time. One political behemoth destroyed; one to go. In the mean time, the electorate will polarise to the extremes until they are ripe and ready for him.

sink wrote: »
    They're hardly going to show their hand until the play it. Merely talking about dropping the euro would severely deepen the crisis and likely become a self fulfilling prophecy
    So you can just let your imagination run wild. The idea of Germany simply dumping the euro and letting the eurozone collapse(It's largest trade partners) is laughable.

So you can just let your imagination run wild. The idea of Germany simply dumping the euro and letting the eurozone collapse(It's largest trade partners) is laughable.

So is the idea that Germany will continue to bail out everyone indefinitely.

Safe option is to not play that game. Negotiate as partners rather than advisories. Put down the guns and work thorough it together.

Restructure the debt in a orderly fashion down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't think what Ganley suggested was a lot different to what Constantin suggested on the show, or what McWilliams advocated on RTE a few days back.

That's what I found most frustrating about the election. I don't think any party really has a good solution for the problem and there doesn't seem to be a happy medium at all. Parties were either offering suggestions that were too trusting of Merkel and co., or else were advocating being completely stubborn and hardline. If there was a middle ground of the two I would have endorsed it.

I think what Vincent said was right. They have us by the balls and we'll just have to try and make the most of it, unfortunately. (Well he didn't quite say it like that but that was the idea)

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    No, he's not too chicken schit. He was merely biding his time. One political behemoth destroyed; one to go. In the mean time, the electorate will polarise to the extremes until they are ripe and ready for him.

Thats making a massive assumption, one which I think is incorrect. Ireland has never been a fertile breeding ground for the far left and far right, for the most part ordinary people are more interested in stable centrist policies rather than extremist dogma

Safe option is to not play that game. Negotiate as partners rather than advisories. Put down the guns and work thorough it together.

How are working through it together?
    They have lent us money that we will either pay back with lots of interest so they profit or we crumble and end up in the same situation as if we simply write of the debt in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Thats making a massive assumption, one which I think is incorrect. Ireland has never been a fertile breeding ground for the far left and far right, for the most part ordinary people are more interested in stable centrist policies rather than extremist dogma
    'anarchy is but three square meals away.'

a quote from someone, forget who. (paraphrased of course)

LOL. I'm not trying to make a prediction. I'm aware of the political culture of Ireland, and I hope that we remain as free as possible from extremist of all hues. I'm painting the scenario that a slick opportunist like Ganley would like to see happen.

Please enlighten us as to his reason?

No conspiracy theories please.
    no conspiracy theories? fck that.

cant remember the details, but do remember feeling appalled by some of his rhetoric.

if he runs for election i'll research his statements - for the mo, meh.

How are working through it together?
    They have lent us money that we will either pay back with lots of interest so they profit or we crumble and end up in the same situation as if we simply write of the debt in the first place.

Germany won't want us to crumble, we're in the same boat. The difference is Germany has a lifejacket and we've concrete slippers. Neither of us really want the ship to sink but Germany will survive and we won't.

Germany has it's own domestic political concerns to deal with. Taking on our debt is about as popular with the German people as taking on Anglo's debt was with the Irish. It can't been seen to be caving into all our demands; at the same time letting us fall will be very bad for them. It's a delicate balancing act and requiring careful navigation.

In the end we will have to come to an arrangement that will suit both parties, but we won't get there by pointing guns at one another.

LOL. I'm not trying to make a prediction. I'm aware of the political culture of Ireland, and I hope that we remain as free as possible from extremist of all hues. I'm painting the scenario that a slick opportunist like Ganley would like to see happen.

Fair enough.

Ganley would love to be megalomaniac in chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Germany won't want us to crumble, we're in the same boat. The difference is Germany has a lifejacket and we've concrete slippers. Neither of us really want the ship to sink but Germany will survive and we won't.

Germany has it's own domestic political concerns to deal with. Taking on our debt is about as popular with the German people as taking on Anglo's debt was with the Irish. It can't been seen to be caving into all our demands; at the same time letting us fall will be very bad for them. It's a delicate balancing act and requiring careful navigation.

In the end we will have to come to an arrangement that will suit both parties, but we won't get there by pointing guns at one another.

Fair enough.

Ganley would love to be megalomaniac in chief.

Well, I'm rowing in behind Constantin for Great Leader. Even got a hair flick like his. Lesser evil, and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Germany aren't 'bailing out everyone'. They are placing the entire burden of a debt that they are at least equally culpable for upon us; crippling us in the process.
    You seem to be using the cards/poker analogy a lot; yet you suggest that when we enter negotiations we do so with a begging bowl to counter their ace.
    Their ace being kicking us out of the EU; a card they can't afford to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well, I'm rowing in behind Constantin for Great Leader. Even got a hair flick like his. Lesser evil, and all that...

:rolleyes::pac:

Constanin is saying pretty much exactly the same thing as Ganley regarding the banks and EU/IMF 'deal', as far as i can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Even got a Herr Flick?

14611.png

I thought it was Herr Flick asking for his money back that caused the trouble in the first place.. See you all in the morning... 8am...

Constanin is saying pretty much exactly the same thing as Ganley regarding the banks and EU/IMF 'deal', as far as i can see.

As Art has said, it's not Ganley's views that are at issue, rather it is his motivation, which will become self evident as the next year or so progresses.

Plus, Constantin is sexy. If we're gonna end up with an oligarch, we should do it properly and have a Russian with a suitably exotic accent and a flicky fringe.:D

hair flick. i likes that.

well, my eyes are sore, so it must be bedtime. nite all

Germany aren't 'bailing out everyone'. They are placing the entire burden of a debt that they are at least equally culpable for upon us; crippling us in the process.
    You seem to be using the cards/poker analogy a lot; yet you suggest that when we enter negotiations we do so with a begging bowl to counter their ace.
    Their ace being kicking us out of the EU; a card they can't afford to play.

Their ace being not lending us money needed to keep the government afloat. When the government can't afford to pay the wages to keep gaurds on the street, they will have no option to other than to start printing our own currency again.

Germany's exports will suffer, they will likely see a quick sharp retraction in their economy. But they will be able to continue to finance their public sector for a long enough period to see them through the storm.

They can afford to play this card. They won't want to, but if push comes to shove they can afford it. We will be wiped out.

They're not going to run us into the ground because so long as we continue to cooperate it's not in their interest. If we start trying to blackmail them with threats of suicide their interests will shift.

Even got a Herr Flick?

14611.png

I thought it was Herr Flick asking for his money back that caused the trouble in the first place.. See you all in the morning... 8am...

First prize to Jonanon for giving Ganley his offical VB thread moniker.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

, Constantin is sexy. If we're gonna end up with an oligarch, we should do it properly and have a Russian with a suitably exotic accent and a flicky fringe.:D
    I hear ya sister

Their ace being not lending us money needed to keep the government afloat. When the government can't afford to pay the wages to keep gaurds on the street, they will have no option to other than to start printing our own currency again.

Germany's exports will suffer, they will likely see a quick sharp retraction in their economy. But they will be able to continue to finance their public sector for a long enough period to see them through the storm.

They can afford to play this card. They won't want to, but if push comes to shove they can afford it. We will be wiped out.

They're not going to run us into the ground because so long as we continue to cooperate it's not in their interest. If we start trying to blackmail them with threats of suicide their interests will shift.

They can't afford to do it and won't do it.
    We have to enter negotiations from the point of view that the current 'deal' is suicide for us; to make clear that leaving the Euro will be our only option if they insist that the 'deal' isn't changed significantly.
    If we 'continue to co-operate' with the terms of the 'deal' as currently constructed we are definitely commiting suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No one in this thread has even attempted to back up why they disagree with him. It's all based on disliking his personalty.

It's a Television thread.

Tbh, most No to Lisbon voters seen through him second time round. His choice of candidates throughout Europe for Libertas was entertaining though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement