Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

G'wan ming!

His home grown doesnt seem to be having an adverse effect on his critical abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Min wrote: »
    If you looked into the drug you would see the latest findings found:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/cannabis-use-accelerates-mental-illness/story-e6frg6nf-1226002449477

Upto 20% of new cases of schizophrenia are linked to the use of cannabis that would not have happened if the person had avoided the drug.

This thread will have a split personality if we go down this road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I want wind energy on my land.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Aw, it was just getting good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I wish i was Ben Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 SWK

I'm left wondering why they didn't start discussing turf cutting and fuel sources to begin with. Instead they gave them 3 minutes at the end and spent the whole show rambling, pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Eanna's correct. Turf cutters just want to continue regardless of the enormous environmental carbon impact turf cutting does. To hell with what Europe says.
    Ming is only acting out of local and self-interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/cannabis-use-accelerates-mental-illness/story-e6frg6nf-1226002449477

Upto 20% of new cases of schizophrenia are linked to the use of cannabis that would not have happened if the person had avoided the drug.

There's a difference between use of, and abuse of, substances.

Alcohol in moderate quantities has been shown to be beneficial to health, yet over-consumption causes many problems. The same is likely true of many other substances.

On topic: I think Ming's new found celebrity status is great. He will hopefully open some minds and help stimulate a better debate on the constant pushing of alcohol in society here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sardonicat wrote: »
    His home grown doesnt seem to be having an adverse effect on his critical abilities.

I was gonna say something similar... He's bright, enthusiastic and full of good ideas... but the main thing I like Ming is that he certainly would just assimilate into a completely dysfunctional public service.. He will at least try to change something...

And at the very very least (which is what you can usually expect from our politicians at this stage).. he will bring some colour to the Dáil.. as will Mick Wallace...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Greentopia wrote: »
    Eanna's correct. Turf cutters just want to continue regardless of the enormous environmental carbon impact turf cutting does. To hell with what Europe says.

As opposed to what? What do all the rest of the politicians act out of? The national interest? I think not! at least he has his values!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, I like Ming, but on this one, he is hardly an objective source.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I don't want legislators who openly break the law and who are involved in illegal activity.
    We had enough of them who believed they were above the law.

But the question is, which is worse??

The politician who robbed and squandered millions in public tax payer money.

OR

The politician who grows his own cannabis and smokes it to no-one else's interference and chastises these sort of corrupt people who wrongly used tax payer money???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Sardonicat wrote: »
    G'wan ming!

Ming said fcuk all of any import, as far as i could see.
    Dissapointed in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

ascanbe wrote: »
    Maybe he would. How in the hell does that make what's happening alright, though?
    'Ah jaysus, shure he's as bad as the rest of them...'
    Does anything ever change in this country?

I'm not saying it makes it alright. If I was director of TV3 I wouldn't give Ben Dunne 10 seconds of speaking time because anything he says is self-promotional hot air. I do find him humourous but it certainly is a tragedy that him and his likes are accepted as the status quo on panels and tv shows like this one.

Mimojo wrote: »
    As opposed to what? What do all the rest of the politicians act out of? The national interest? I think not! at least he has his values!

But that's the problem isn't it? Their job shouldn't be to fix roads, get Mrs. Murphy's son a job etc. It's parish pump "values" like those we should be getting away from.
    I thought he spoke well on some other issues though.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I'm not saying it makes it alright. If I was director of TV3 I wouldn't give Ben Dunne 10 seconds of speaking time because anything he says is self-promotional hot air. I do find him humourous but it certainly is a tragedy that him and his likes are accepted as the status quo on panels and tv shows like this one.

I agree with you, to a point. But he actually said some things that went directly against the status-quo on this occasion and called for a proper investigation into the criminal activity of some bankers and politicians.
    His points were immediately dismissed; both in the studio and on here, it seems.
    Baffling.

I agree with you, to a point. But he actually said some things that went directly against the status-quo on this occasion and called for a proper investigation into the criminal activity of some bankers and politicians.
    His points were immediately dismissed; both in the studio and on here, it seems.
    Baffling.

I agree with his view point but the problem for me is it's coming out of the mouth of someone who had murky dealings with the likes of C.J. Haughey so therefore his credibility is shot.
    Don't know why his opinions are sought on panel discussions like VB anyway. All he does is promote his gyms every chance he gets :rolleyes:

I agree with his view point but the problem for me is it's coming out of the mouth of someone who had murky dealings with the likes of C.J. Haughey so therefore his credibility is shot.
    Don't know why his opinions are sought on panel discussions like VB anyway. All he does is promote his gyms every chance he gets :rolleyes:

But that's what i'm talking about; the Irish impulse to 'play the man, not the ball'.
    The 'ball' is the point he's making, on this occasion; yet it gets dismissed because of who it's coming from.
    I'm no defender of Ben Dunne but i don't care about his history, in this context; the point he was making is sound.

But that's what i'm talking about; the Irish impulse to 'play the man, not the ball'.
    The 'ball' is the point he's making, on this occasion; yet it gets dismissed because of who it's coming from.
    I'm no defender of Ben Dunne but i don't care about his history, in this context; the point he was making is sound.

Well I didn't dismiss him, whatever about others here, but for me his past does undermine his credibility. I did agree with his statement though, as I said and I agree it was a sound point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I feel like a broken record, but as someone who is from Roscommon (and happily voted Ming), I have to say that turf cutting is hardly an issue that's local, even if I tend to err on the side of conservation. This effects much of the countryside, centered on the midlands and west because that's where most raised bogs are. It's regional at worst, and in all honesty a very national issue in terms of how we fuel our homes and to a lesser degree our power stations.

Ming has been well known in the area to be a passionate (as opposed to being simply opportunistic) supporter of turf cutters, with his position as the P.R.O. of the TCCA being emblematic of amount of work he's put into the issue.

The biggest problem is that these areas are the lowest income areas in the country were much of the land is bog and barely habitable for cattle, let alone cash crops like corn or barley. If turf cutting is simple phased out without some manner of targeted scheme that helps smooth transition to more sustainable fuel sources then you're simply casting a net and dragging large swathes of people into poverty traps at a time when their position regardless is vulnerable at best.

The fact is that in the 20-plus years since the EU directive was drawn up - we've essentially been getting a rolling moratorium on it - successive governments have failed utterly to invest in serious alternative infrastructure in the area; locally, the only thing of note is one wind farm and a few grant-subsidised solar panels. The unspoken truth that small nuclear plants are the only realistic option going forward ties directly into these issues.

I want to preserve raised bogs and bogs in general, but the only way we'll ever come to a lasting solution is for serious resources to be ploughed alternatives to ween people off peat. If you can spend millions on a pointless by-pass then surely it makes sense to find solutions to this issue that will provide a template for the rest of the country's fuel needs. If Ming brings the government to the table in a serious way, that's progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

What was Monica's contribution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

That sentence out of context is a bit misleading no?
    Full quote says
    Although the study does not prove that cannabis causes schizophrenia directly, lead author Matthew Large, of the University of NSW, said the findings were consistent with the theory that the drug at least induced earlier onset, and could cause up to 20 per cent of cases that would not have happened otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

I seem to be in the big minority but I can't stand that Éanna. She sounds so bleedin happy all the time it like she's eternally on the Late Late Toy Show.

Maybe my loathing of the Derek Mooney show has influenced me against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

elefant wrote: »
    I seem to be in the big minority but I can't stand that Éanna. She sounds so bleedin happy all the time it like she's eternally on the Late Late Toy Show.

I'd have to agree. It always feels like she's talking to a 4 year-old when she explains anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elefant wrote: »

I quite like her. I only ever listen to DM on Friday because of the wildlife part of the show, however the guy who e·nun·ci·ate.s every word and has to explain the answers to his own questions is a bit of an annoyance. Oh and DM himself.

Anyway the Friday night show really helps TV3's hourly commitment nicely. How long have they been with out a Friday night news show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Elmo wrote: »

Anyway the Friday night show really helps TV3's hourly commitment nicely. How long have they been with out a Friday night news show.

Have you got a broadcasting rulebook that you're keeping score on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Koloman wrote: »

aaaahhhhhhhh.... feck sake Koloman... When I saw the thread updated... I thought... "he's on tonight to discuss the new Government"..... but apparently not... :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Koloman wrote: »
    aaaahhhhhhhh.... feck sake Koloman... When I saw the thread updated... I thought... "he's on tonight to discuss the new Government"..... but apparently not... :mad::mad::mad:

No but trust me TV3 do, McRedmond even has a stopwatch. And he stopped it earlier this afternoon, the clock starts again in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Leo Varadkar, Joe Costello, Gemma Hussey & Barry Desmond are on tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement