Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I thought she was a county councillor! definition of a lightweight.

Yeah she was, she co-opted her Dad to her council seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Who's the dude with the mullet?

Thought it was Bill Bailey minus his beard. Explains the chin stroking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Listening to those email comments on the show, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of people, I'm a bit tired of this "poor Joan Burton, those sexist pigs shafted her" attitude. God forbid it might be because it was felt Noonan was a better choice for the job (which he is, Noonan has done well so far) Or that Joan Burton's personality isn't the best to be in charge of a tinderbox ministry like Finance.

In my mind, real equality will occur on the day the gender of a prospective candidate is utterly irrelevant, rather than a 50/50 gender ratio being achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeah she was, she co-opted her Dad to her council seat.

saints preserve us.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Listening to those email comments on the show, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of people, I'm a bit tired of this "poor Joan Burton, those sexist pigs shafted her" attitude. God forbid it might be because it was felt Noonan was a better choice for the job (which he is, Noonan has done well so far) Or that Joan Burton's personality isn't the best to be in charge of a tinderbox ministry like Finance.

In my mind, real equality will occur on the day the gender of a prospective candidate is utterly irrelevant, rather than a 50/50 gender ratio being achieved.

They weren't talking about the main finance job they were talking about the new second one which seems to have been set up specifically for labour. Joan is the labour deputy leader and was the finance spokesperson, it was only logical that she should have that second position once it became available. Instead not only was she passed over but she was juggled around and then given a peripheral seat at the cabinet table. It was very badly handled, and setting the cabinet has to be the easiest job the new govt will have in its term.
    Also Noonan hasn't done anything as finance minister tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I think Noonan was gonna get Finance anyway.
    I think it's her not getting the Public Reform portfolio (the newly created sub-Finance one) and it going to Howlin (puzzling admittedly) that caused the understandable disappointment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They weren't talking about the main finance job they were talking about the new second one which seems to have been set up specifically for labour. Joan is the labour deputy leader and was the finance spokesperson, it was only logical that she should have that second position once it became available. Instead not only was she passed over but she was juggled around and then given a peripheral seat at the cabinet table. It was very badly handled, and setting the cabinet has to be the easiest job the new govt will have in its term.
    Also Noonan hasn't done anything as finance minister tbh.

Which is all fine, but to be honest, until we know otherwise, to suggest that this happened because of gender (which clearly some people are doing) - or that gender plays into the situation in anyway - we're just pointlessly stumbling into the thorny briars of gender politics (hoho).

To me the more likely explanation is that this was all just diplomatic posturing between coalition partners & somehow satisfying all the primary egos that have been front & centre during the recent election campaign. Yes, she's finance spokesperson, but I think her media performances possibly ruined her chances of being Minister of Finance, not her gender.

To quote Bernard Ingham: "Many journalists have fallen for the conspiracy theory of government. I do assure you that they would produce more accurate work if they adhered to the cock-up theory"
    It's safer to assume cock-up than conspiracy in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Noonan was obviously awarded for Enda loyalism. He was Finance spokesman for a time IIRC so does have experience in the area. He did warn about things in 02, fat lot of good it did him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

the guy with the mod haircut was good. well off to bed. long day talking bout finance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yes, she's finance spokesperson, but I think her media performances possibly ruined her chances of being Minister of Finance, not her gender.

I agree completely. Her borderline psychotic performance probably cost her a more senior position.. especially when there was such serious competition for cabinet seats... she has only herself to blame..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

So another tie-less special on tonight then. Ivan Yates said this morning he will be on. Any word on the other guests? I hope Mario makes a return with a new sketch. Lots of material to use since the election.

Anybody know who's on lads.. I looked up Vinnie's twitter machine, but he just links to a few articles..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

80000 feared dead is one of tomorrow's headlines.
    Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The LLS bus has just landed in Ballymount................Goodnight all.......

It is pre-recorded - no email or tweet machine..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

MrsD007 wrote: »

I wish he'd just say "Tonights show is pre-recorded".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Vinny doesn't do Fridays, ever.

I was watching a documentary about X-Day (the proposed American invasion of the Japanese home islands) last night... nb.. this never occurred because they dropped the atom bombs... It got me thinking today.. what the world, and particularly the Chinese, would have given for this Earthquake to happen in 1930s/1940s..

Couldn't he have found some experts to talk about the earthquake or world affairs rather than 4 people he bumped into in the coffee shop who just did a quick google before coming on air?

Skid, I hope you are impressed that even after a bottle of vino, I copped that it was pre-recorded :)

• Advertisement

This is a terrible panel already, the corpulent vacuous actor and green party member are already revealing themselves for complete charlatans.

Did anyone see Cassie and Vinny's recent youtube video?

Vinny: 'Cassie, can I borrow your tweet machine?'

Cassie 'Quiet old man, and more importantly, what do you think of my apps?'

Vinny (laughing) 'you're a very bad person!'

It was epic!

This is a terrible panel already, the corpulent vacuous actor and green party member are already revealing themselves for complete charlatans.
    Has she not left the Green Party????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Dierdre's eyes are a bit Aileen Wournos.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

God is that De Burca? What is she doing on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Deidre DeBurka.. I have an irrational hatred for that woman.

Well in her speel on the election results she carefully failed to mention the Green Party Wipe out.

Ivan Yates is correct about the Independents, they will have little impact this time around.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Did anyone see Cassie and Vinny's recent youtube video?

Vinny: 'Cassie, can I borrow your tweet machine?'

Cassie 'Quiet old man, and more importantly, what do you think of my apps?'

Vinny (laughing) 'you're a very bad person!'

It was epic!

link or gtfo!!!

One a green always a green...tbh I've no idea but vincent mentioned the greens when introducing her so I ran with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Opposition is just talk.. Horse crap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement