Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved the little smirk from Vincent when it came back to the studio.
    As if to say "Yes... I ripped him a new one." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Koloman wrote: »
    This is the part of the press conference that RTE cut off.

Yes typical RTE, ironic thing was that you could see it on Sky as they showed that part! Nice to have foreign stations provide coverage of massive news in your own country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

RTE are now outed as a government propaganda channel. Stop paying the licence fee people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Is that Pat Rabbitte in the middle, I hope Vincent and him get into a heated argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mr E wrote: »
    Loved the little smirk from Vincent when it came back to the studio.
    As if to say "Yes... I ripped him a new one." :)
    Fair play Vincent,at least someone will tell it like it is.
    RTE are a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Peter Matthews?? ah jaysus, well I spose it is Sunday night you have to take what's available... Constantin is probably drinking the Vodka by the neck on his day off..

Constantin is on twitter now, he's delighted to see Peter. I wonder is there much point in bringing Garrett Fitzgearld on these shows anymore? He's always very quick to knock other peoples opinions but he's very slow to supply he's own numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yea....he's only a politically experienced, Phd educated former Taoiseach.

What would he know?

A former Taoiseach who plunged Ireland further into recession when he was in office.

And before anyone says it - I aint no FFer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Garrett Fitzgerald seems past it, he hasn't a clue what's going on. On another note my name is Garret so it's odd when Vincent keeps saying it, it's like he's talking to me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah just looked up Constantin's Twitterl..
    #vinb the only person talking sense in the studio is Peter Mathews. Confidence, knowledge & no bull****.... ha ha haaaaa

okay I added the last bit in but the rest of it is accurate..

Poor Fionnan hidden away in the corner making notes, no input yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You'd think Garrett was FF ,the way he is defending them.
    Here goes Vincent with his tax the rich bull and his populist rhetoric about screwing the poor.
    Facts:
    Ireland’s top 0.5% of earners, the 11,714 people who earned more than €275,000 in a year, paid almost 18% of all income tax, over €2bn in total. Their average tax rate was 27.5%.

Almost 770,000 people earned less than €17,000. Understandably, given tax credits, these workers paid a tiny amount of tax, €20m in total. Their average tax rate was about 0.5%.

It’s in the middle, though, where things seem to go all screwy. The median earner, earning about €25,000, paid just 4% in income tax! compared to 20% in the OECD. We seem to have got ourselves into a situation where the typical Irish worker pays hardly any income tax and yet seems to think they are heavily taxed.
    The average millionaire pays six times the income tax rate of the average worker

Is it any wonder that there is such a huge deficit when the Irish worker is only paying 4% tax when the OECD average is 20% !
    Its crazy .
    I feel the prospect of people paying as little as 15% of their income in tax could also spark riots in the streets!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

PM has the "lovely Gonzaga boy" smug voice

AOwannabe wrote: »
    Poor Fionnan hidden away in the corner making notes, no input yet

Maybe he's the stenographer for the show.. With the recession we all have to do jobs we never thought we'd have to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Koloman wrote: »
    This is the part of the press conference that RTE cut off.

any where this can be watched on line? Links appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Fionnan is talking sense! Lads, this is fierce depressing, :(

Ursula Halligan - "The events of the last week may have irrecoverably damaged Brian Cowan".

No Shít Like !

I reckon myself that Vincent Browne's questions at the press conference earlier did far more damage to Cowen.

any where this can be watched on line? Links appreciated thanks.

There's was a special newsflash at 8.30 tonight... This was where the cut off took place... The same footage was not shown on the 9 o'clock news... Not sure if they are gonna put up the newsflash program on the player..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Peter Matthews?? ah jaysus, well I spose it is Sunday night you have to take what's available... Constantin is probably drinking the Vodka by the neck on his day off..

I find Peter Matthews very straight-talking.
    Just reading Constantin's Twitter- he's certainly a fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Lapin wrote: »
    Ursula Halligan - "The events of the last week may have irrecoverably damaged Brian Cowan".

No Shít Like !

I reckon myself that Vincent Browne's questions at the press conference earlier did far more damage to Cowen.

what were his questions or where can I see this online?

Ha, Garrett is the stereotypical cranky-old-fecker-with-a-good-heart

• Advertisement

Vincent could be Garrett's son.. They certainly act like it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'm glad I don't live in TV3 only land. As analysis that was an abysmally produced and hosted programme. You get better in a pub.

Lapin wrote: »
    So Garret Fitzgearld is going to be one of the guests.

An elder statesman of Irish politics, but not really the first person I would turn to for an opinion on this evenings events.

And his dismissive response to the proposed cuts in the minimum wage while defending high earners on tonights programme illustrate the reasons why I wouldn't seek his opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Vincent could be Garrett's son.. They certainly act like it..

Son ey...? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

If Vinny had Garret on with 4 mannequins, I wouldn't have noticed the difference. It was very much the Garret and Vinny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Most interesting was Ursula Halligan's comments about internal party strife before the press conference.

I will sit back, relax and enjoy watching the rats fight amongst each other in the coming days/weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

It's on YT now - not the best quality.

It reminded me of when Browne grilled Bertie 3 years ago. Although Bertie was a far far better waffler than Clowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

There's was a special newsflash at 8.30 tonight... This was where the cut off took place... The same footage was not shown on the 9 o'clock news... Not sure if they are gonna put up the newsflash program on the player..
    wonder is the below article the reason why...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fianna-fail-lashes-out-at-rtes-coverage-of-party-2386855.html

typical FF, shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Vincent's contribution last night at the press conference was excellent.

• Advertisement

I dont know lads I can see RTE's point in pulling away, and I can also see your point that it is censorship... To be honest I think Vincent is known for his grandstanding at such events, and he tends to completely take over, refusing to a) let go of a question when given an answer (as he does on his show) b) let anybody else answer a questions ... The other journalists did not get anywhere near as much time as Vincent, and when they tried to move it on to give somebody else a chance, he again interrupted with another question... He also uses it as material to promote his own show, so there is a certain amount of personal gain from such "performances"...

I dont think RTE should have cut him, but I do think that the journalists should be limited to one or two questions each...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement