Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

NOBODY who runs for the Dáil should be allowed run for the Seanad.. Prospective candidates should be forced to choose one or the other two months before the general election... similar with MEPs who run for the Dáil or vice versa..
    I disagree, if a TD narrowly losses out on a Dail seat he/she may still have a lot of offer as a public representative. In Limerick West back 2002, Michael Finucane lost a seat by one vote to his party colleague, Dan Neville. Given the huge mandate someone like him had received from the electorate, is it fair to see someone banished into the political wilderness? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I think i got a man-crush on Morgan Kelly. :pac::o:p

Here's Morgan Kelly dealing with the Irish Indpendent's 'economics expert', Brendan Keenan, in the wake of the blanket bank guarantee.
    One proved to be spot on in his analysis and one was spectacularly wrong; no prizes for guessing who was right:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I disagree, if a TD narrowly losses out on a Dail seat he/she may still have a lot of offer as a public representative. In Limerick West back 2002, Michael Finucane lost a seat by one vote to his party colleague, Dan Neville. Given the huge mandate someone like him had received from the electorate, is it fair to see one like that banished into the political wilderness. I don't think so.

I don't agree, in a democratic system you have winners and losers,

The Seanad is full of people who stood for Dail Election and lost, and got another day out. When your time is up, walk away and let someone else have a go.

The whole place stinks of failure and cronyism - I hope it gets scrapped, but I won't hold my breath.

I agree that unfortunately the Seanad has been treated for too long as a retirement home for failed TDs but at the same time I'd prefer to see someone in the Seanad who got 5,000 first preference votes (Dail election) and who narrowly lost out on a seat than someone who stands in the Seanad election and has received no mandate from the ordinary citizens of Ireland.

I'm not sure about scrapping the Seanad but I do feel that it is certainly screaming out for serious reform.

I agree that unfortunately the Seanad has been treated for too long as a retirement home for failed TDs but at the same time I'd prefer to see someone in the Seanad who got 5,000 first preference votes (Dail election) and who narrowly lost out on a seat than someone who stands in the Seanad election and has received no mandate from the ordinary citizens of Ireland.

Can't agree, to be honest. If you didn't get elected get elected to the Dáil then you have no mandate, you can't have a bit of a mandate., or almost a mandate.

Michael Finucane only scraped into the Seanad in the election to which you are referring (Seat no.10 out of 11)

By the logic that candidates who almost got elected to the Dáil should find a home in the Seanad, he should have romped home.

http://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=2918

http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2002S&cons=149

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is that I personally would prefer see someone who received a sizeable vote in a Dail election get a chance of running in the Seanad election. It is just my opinion. Finucane isn't even in my constituency but I do remember him losing out on his seat and there was a lot of disappointment in Limerick West as he was seen to be a decent politician.

Can we please have a truce now??;):D On holidays this week so I had a few glasses of vino earlier so I'm not at my brightest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I disagree, if a TD narrowly losses out on a Dail seat he/she may still have a lot of offer as a public representative.

I dont see how it is right that somebody who is rejected by the electorate democratically, can then be voted in to a 70k a year job by a group of his peers or one of the other elite clubs that are allowed to vote for Seanad members..

It has particularly been used cynically in recent times by FF.. with Mary O'Rourke and Donie Cassidy swapping seats.. And Bertie nominating his toady Eoghan Harris, and that gombeen Callelly the last time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Can we please have a truce now??;):D On holidays this week so I had a few glasses of vino earlier so I'm not at my brightest :)

Kind of reminds me of this... Myself (Harry Enfield) and SkidMark (Paul Whitehouse) are having an intellectual discussion about politics and then at 0:39, Mrs D interrupts..

Women, KNOW YOUR LIMITS.. :)

Oh I'm way too tired to argue but I think that alot of the problems with the Seanad could be sorted by allowing everyone vote in the Seanad election.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

You're not a Teacher, by any chance, are you? Clue No.1: "On holidays this week". Clue No.2: Teachers have degrees, so can vote in Seanad elections - unlike the great unwashed, less educated plebs like me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

PKen wrote: »
    You're not a Teacher, by any chance, are you? Clue No.1: "On holidays this week". Clue No.2: Teachers have degrees, so can vote in Seanad elections - unlike the great unwashed, less educated plebs like me. :rolleyes:
    No, I'm not a teacher PKen :)

Ok it is the morning after the night before and I want to expand on my central point that a person who narrowly misses out on the last seat in a general election should be given the opportunity of running in the Seanad. I never said that this person should be automatically elected to the Seanad. And for the record, I am totally opposed to the Taoiseach nominating people, it's a joke.

I agree that the Seanad is in desperate need of reform, one of the major issues I have have with it is the process where by Senators are elected, which is not very democratic as very few regular citizens have an opportunity to vote for the candidates. Unfortunately, the Seanad is full of double jobbing lecturers and union heads and I just feel that at least a person who was in the shake up for the last seat in a very competitive constituency shouldn't be lost to national politics. Surely they are more representative of what regular people need instead of some lecturer who is elected because an elite group of gradutes can vote for him or her.

Ok it is the morning after the night before and I want to expand on my central point that a person who narrowly misses out on the last seat in a general election should be given the opportunity of running in the Seanad. I never said that this person should be automatically elected to the Seanad. And for the record, I am totally opposed to the Taoiseach nominating people, it's a joke.

I agree that the Seanad is in desperate need of reform, one of the major issues I have have with it is the process where by Senators are elected, which is not very democratic as very few regular citizens have an opportunity to vote for the candidates. Unfortunately, the Seanad is full of double jobbing lecturers and union heads and I just feel that at least a person who was in the shake up for the last seat in a very competitive constituency shouldn't be lost to national politics. Surely they are more representative of what regular people need instead of some lecturer who is elected because an elite group of gradutes can vote for him or her.

Life is too short to be having ongoing debates about Seanad candidates.

I've stated my opinion, probably best to agree to disagree on this one.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Life is too short to be having ongoing debates about Seanad candidates.

I've stated my opinion, probably best to agree to disagree on this one.
    I agree :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

PKen wrote: »

Not everyone who has a degree can vote in the seanad elections only a select few that have degrees from Trinity and NUI colleges.

Martin Mansergh is on, surprised he is showing his face after doing so badly in the Seanad Elections.

He has nothing else to do, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Missed the start, is it FF night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Missed the start, is it FF night?

FF in the dock night. Again.

And Sarah McInerney is doing the papers later on.

I know that will interest some regulars on the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone else hear a really high pitch tone in the background?

• Advertisement

bluefinger wrote: »
    FF in the dock night. Again.

Why can't they just turn up wearing a horsehair shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Anyone else hear a really high pitch tone in the background?
    every night on my tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm only watching cos Lord Mansergh usually makes some sort of gaffe/lets something out of the bag.

Byrne is a typical FF stomach churner

Rome could be burning and Martin Mansergh wouldn't smell the smoke,

He's like a bumbling old teacher with no idea what is going on behind his back.

I've been reading that quite a lot of SF people who were allowed vote in these Senate travesty elections, voted for FF candidates.
    I'd like to hear the explanantion for that one from Gerry Adams.
    Also quite a chunk of Labour votes went to FF.
    Rapprochement beckons.

gambiaman wrote: »
    I've been reading that quite a lot of SF people who were allowed vote in these Senate travesty elections, voted for FF candidates.
    I'd like to hear the explanantion for that one from Gerry Adams.
    Also quite a chunk of Labour votes went to FF.
    Rapprochement beckons.

Its politics, would you in Labour or SF like to see FG controlling the Seanead and the possibility of a single party government in the next election?

Rome could be burning and Martin Mansergh wouldn't smell the smoke,

He's like a bumbling old teacher with no idea what is going on behind his back.

He needs to get Martin Manseragh on Friday night with Jedward.

Martin Mansergh is on, surprised he is showing his face after doing so badly in the Seanad Elections.

He has nothing else to do, I suppose.
    Missed tonight's show as I was out for dinner. I'm raging I missed Manseragh. Fair play to him for appearing on the programme so soon after being defeated, he reminds me of Lembit Öpik having to appear on "Have I got news for you" the day after he lost his seat. Did Vincent give him a hard time? Were there any sparks?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Its politics, would you in Labour or SF like to see FG controlling the Seanead and the possibility of a single party government in the next election?

I'm not in Labour or SF or any other party.

The Senate in all likelihood will be abolished within a few years plus who "controls" it means bugger all in the great scheme of things.
    Sure Kenny isn't even using his 11 free passes to give his party colleagues a nice earner for a few years.
    As for FG single party, if they couldn't do it two months ago it ain't ever going to happen.

It'll be interesting to see if any stories come out about a FF-SF pact in this vote.
    I can't imagine anyone with any principles declaring support for anyone associated with FF.

• Advertisement

Missed tonight's show as I was out for dinner. I'm raging I missed Manseragh. Fair play to him for appearing on the programme so soon after being defeated, he reminds me of Lembit Öpik having to appear on "Have I got news for you" the day after he lost his seat. Dis Vincent give him a hard time? Were any sparks?

Nope, it was like the last hurrah for Mansergh and a bit backslappy.
    Byrne gave a rousing eulogy to the Lord's greatness and Browne made another attempt to get the two FFers to admit they are bastards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement