Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lot of bleedin hearts here tonight too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

What they did was illegal.

Which part was that.......exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

SkidMark wrote: »
    Godwin's law doesn't apply when the subject is someone (Bin Laden) who has actually acted as a Nazi.

Bollocks. Because World War 2 was a justifiable war, doesn't give everyone the right to cite it just to push across an emotional point. Every time somebody brings up World War 2 to justify modern conflicts, their point should automatically be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

nummnutts wrote: »
    The whole bleeding heart ****e coming from Wallace and Browne tonight is nonsense.

"I know the killing of 3,000 people on 9 11 was aweful, but......."

Give me a break.

Their whole view of the debacle is skewed, and it's evidenced by Browne's attempts to silence the only person on the panel who could possibly defend what the American's did - from a warfare and legal point of view.

Wallace is talking some nonsense; that's besides the point regarding the killing of Bin Laden.
    The guy you say could defend it from a legal point of view had a chance and did no such thing; how could he?
    The nearest he or others came to a defense was saying something like, 'Oh well, Bin Laden is an especially 'evil' man, so the normal rules of law shouldn't apply to him. I agree with the rule of law/trials normally, but it can be forgotten when dealing with some people'.
    Who gets to judge what level of 'evil' is required to abandon the rule of law? That's the kind of logic that anti-democratic/authoritarian regimes are based upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

450k to a fairly wealthy person. Crazy.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne is for the parachute high jump !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd say she will give it to charity. She did the other times she sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Every time somebody brings up World War 2 to justify modern conflicts, their point should automatically be ignored.

Eh, no.

That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

WW2 didn't happen in alternative universe.

It happened in living memory, and comparisons to modern events are perfectly valid.

Lapin wrote: »
    Lot of bleedin hearts here tonight too by the looks of it.

My heart isn't bleeding at all; couldn't give a ****e about Bin Laden.
    I do care about the rule of law applying to all people, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,341 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This thing about illegal is strange imo

CIA agents are allowed in Pakistan so the americans changed the operation to the CIA and hey presto it was legal. That's what iv read and listened too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

That witch Harney getting 450.000 ontop of the golden handshake her pension and the country's reputation destroyed
    Distasteful is the word!!!!!
    How many Drs nurses would this money employ for a year
    How many beds made available!!!!
    This country would drive anyone to drink!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

gerocks wrote: »
    she's not looking to be re-elected from now on though

ascanbe wrote: »

Bin Laden didn't give a ****e about the rule of law.

Fúck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

she'll have it drank in no time:pac:

Double post! Sorry. Using mobile (badly).

Wallace is talking some nonsense; that's besides the point regarding the killing of Bin Laden.
    The guy you say could defend it from a legal point of view had a chance and did no such thing; how could he?
    The nearest he or others came to a defense was saying something like, 'Oh well, Bin Laden is an especially 'evil' man, so the normal rules of law shouldn't apply to him. I agree with the rule of law/trials normally, but it can be forgotten when dealing with some people'.
    Who gets to judge what level of 'evil' is required to abandon the rule of law? That's the kind of logic that anti-democratic/authoritarian regimes are based upon.

No. He said, under rules of warfare, which is what Bin Laden and his merry band of men (and women) declared on America following the events of 911, the American's broke no rules by entering Pakistan - which was Vincent's main gripe, it seems.

As regards to the actual shooting of Bin Laden, a shoot to kill policy may seem harsh to the faint hearted, but when it comes down to "our men coming home alive" or "their men going home alive", it is fully understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm just dismayed there are so many people on here who don't question this type of action by powerful nations.

It is not a 'bleeding heart' that prods and probes and questions but it most certainly is a weak mind that uncritically goes along with what is presented to them without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

She's given any monies won from previous cases to charity, so I would assume that she will do the same with this.. She's got a HUGE pension so why would she need it anyway...

Could Newstalk not sue Nelly McCafferty.. Surely Newstalk must make the contributors to their shows sign some sort of legal agreement pre show saying that they wont defame/slander any person or company...

baldbear wrote: »
    I'd say she will give it to charity. She did the other times she sued.

Hopefully she does.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Bin Laden didn't give a ****e about the rule of law.

Fúck him.

Exactly, he didn't give a ****e about the rule of law; that's why 'we' are supposedly against him.
    Why do you want 'us' to act like him?
    Do 'we' defeat what he stood for/his likes stand for by abandoning the rule of law/playing by his/their rules?
    That makes 'us' no different than 'them' and, in fact, means 'they' win.

ricardo1 wrote: »
    That witch Harney getting 450.000 ontop of the golden handshake her pension and the country's reputation destroyed
    Distasteful is the word!!!!!
    How many Drs nurses would this money employ for a year
    How many beds made available!!!!
    This country would drive anyone to drink!!!!

Half of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

gambiaman wrote: »
    I'm just dismayed there are so many people on here who don't question this type of action by powerful nations.

It is not a 'bleeding heart' that prods and probes and questions but it most certainly is a weak mind that uncritically goes along with what is presented to them without question.

The most disturbing part of recent days is that a lot of Americans think the extremists could not possibly strike again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ha ha buried respectfully! She's having a laugh. He was thrown in the sea like a rat.

No. He said, under rules of warfare, which is what Bin Laden and his merry band of men (and women) when declared on America following the events of 911, the American's broke no rules by entering Pakistan - which was Vincent's main gripe, it seems.

As regards to the actual shooting of Bin Laden, a shoot to kill may policy may seem harsh to the faint hearted, but when it comes down to "our men coming home alive" or "their men going home alive", it is fully understandable.

Where is the 'rule of war' that says you can/should execute unarmed combatants?
    Apart from the possible illegality of America conducting this mission on foreign soil, i would understand those soldiers shooting him if they were under threat; that's entirely different than higher ups sending them out under orders to execute rather than arrest him.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Vincent laughing about the FCA killing bin Laden - hahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hb75

Not justifying the wars they have started but the anti american sentiment by Browne and Wallace is palpable.

As was asked would their solution have had been. Aks him politley to come out with his hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No. He said, under rules of warfare, which is what Bin Laden and his merry band of men (and women) declared on America following the events of 911, the American's broke no rules by entering Pakistan - which was Vincent's main gripe, it seems.

As regards to the actual shooting of Bin Laden, a shoot to kill policy may seem harsh to the faint hearted, but when it comes down to "our men coming home alive" or "their men going home alive", it is fully understandable.
    Understandable, yes. Good idea, no. They've just made a martyr out of him.

Where is the 'rule of war' that says you can/should execute unarmed combatants?
    Apart from the possible illegality of America conducting this mission on foreign soil, i would understand those soldiers shooting him if they were under threat; that's entirely different than higher ups sending them out under orders to execute rather than arrest him.

I take it you have it on good word that they were sent in for an assassination mission. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Exactly, he didn't give a ****e about the rule of law; that's why 'we' are supposedly against him.
    Why do you want 'us' to act like him?
    Do 'we' defeat what he stood for/his likes stand for by abandoning the rule of law/playing by his/their rules?
    That makes 'us' no different than 'them' and, in fact, means 'they' win.

I agree that the rule of law should be applied in most instances but in this case any action taken to eliminate those responsible the terrorist attacks of 911, the railways of Madrid, the nightclubs of Bali, the streets of London and elsewhere is totally justifiable.

The rule of law has its place but we're not talking about someone nicking a Mars Bar from the local Spar here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement