Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is anyone else just getting fed up of the show? They need a new fcuking set design or somethin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeap but starting to impress me, better than Joe Higgins who just goes off in a tangent as VB caught him out lastnight.

He's a good performer, definitely Sinn Fein's star player at the moment.

Miles ahead of the Labour man on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Why does vincent use tax paid as a % of GDP when comparing our tax take to rest europe? GNP is most appropriate figure to use as it is so much lower than GDP which is largely down to foreign multinationals who we cant tax at more than 12.5% without further wrecking economy. If we sue GNP we are actually pay close to or more than the likes of Germany and France and will pay more with property taxes and water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

I like how he gets very young guests, along with tried and tested experts. You don't see that elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Is anyone else just getting fed up of the show? They need a new fcuking set design or somethin'

Yeah we seem to be in abit of lull, successful governments don't really make good VB shows and the last crowd certainly provided entertainment. You can even see less people contributing to this thread and no sign of some of the regulars from before the election. We need the coalition to fall apart to liven up the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Haha... I love it .. go JEdward... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Yeah we seem to be in abit of lull, successful governments don't really make good VB shows and the last crowd certainly provided entertainment. You can even see less people contributing to this thread and no sign of some of the regulars from before the election. We need the coalition to fall apart to liven up the show.

Who's doing the what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Nah, the sets fine. They just need a default. Can you imagine the champagne and fireworks? Constatine in his underwear proclaiming 'I toould you stoupid Eireesh'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No, it's Ross O'Carroll Kelly... loike
    He used to live in D4, did an internship or something in RTE I think.

Dan_Solo wrote: »

Primetime his bio says. Barrister and farmer too, busy man.

http://www.labour.ie/michaelmcnamara/biography.html

Barrister and Farmer
    Part-time Lecturer in Law, University of Limerick, February 2007 to February 2008
    Electoral Complaints Commission / United Nations Office for Project Services, Kabul, May 2005 to October 2005
    Human Rights Officer, OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights, September 2000 to August 2004

Memberships:

Member of Scariff GAA Club and the IFA.

Other Interests:

Previously provided support for producers and reporters as required on “Prime Time”, the flagship current affairs programme of the Irish national broadcasting (November 1997 to September 2000) Political and Legal Affairs Adviser on OSCE Election Support Team to Afghanistan, August - October 2004
    Independent Electoral Expert on Iraqi out-of-country voting, UNDP, Denmark, January – February 2005
    Legal Expert, European Union Electoral Observation Mission, Yemen, August - October 2006
    External Evaluation of Election Support Programme, UNDP, Yemen, August 2007
    Legal Expert, European Union Electoral Observation Mission, Pakistan, February - March 2008
    Electoral and Legal Expert, European Union Exploratory Mission, Lebanon, February – March 2009
    Legal Analyst, The Carter Center,Sudan, March – April 2010
    International Electoral Law Expert, UNDP, Sudan, October 2010

• Advertisement

You'd never know it to look at him.. :)

Is Vincent allowed to broadcast his assertions about "share price fixing" in Anglo.. Surely this will be considered to prejudice the case when it eventually comes to court.. ?

Barrister and farmer too, busy man.

yeah he was the primary defence council in the recent case of DPP vs Boomer the sheepdog.

yeah he was the primary defence council in the recent case of DPP vs Boomer the sheepdog.

Sheepdog should have asked to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They needed a new set a year ago. Perhaps with their new Studio they may have a new set for VB Tonight.

I felt that VB was just a little aggressive to Joe Higgins, "Where is the monopoly money", "Do you remember the question". How could anyone answer the question when the interviewer won't let you at least start not answering the question :D, VB could have re-iterated the question after the answer or stopped him mid-way through instead he didn't given him a chance not to answer. Brian Hayes wasn't much better and VB wasn't even heranguing him. Particularly with growth projections. Then the TV3 Catch Up Machine stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Another show about the economy tonight. And yes, Constantin 'the count' Gurdgiev is on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Vincent: "tonight we try to get a handle on the economy and the true scale of the debt".
    Eh you do that every night, Vinny.

Reuters girl is looking well. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dubol

Reuters girl is looking well. :pac:

Yes she has a lovely big pair of eyes;)

ffs is that Marie Sherlock from SIPTU.. horrible wench.. heard her on the radio ... "roooooiggghhhttt" after every sentence in that horrible cork accent..

I mean surely the term SIPTU Economist is an oxymoron to begin with.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I feel sorry for Joe. Hes not the type of fella that would be fit to deal with Gurdgiev.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Joe. Hes not the type of fella that would be fit to deal with Gurdgiev.

He comes across to me as a guy who doesn't believe a word he's saying.

I think if I was married to Marie Sherlock I would end up whacking her over the head with a shovel just to stop her from talking...

Poor ol' Constantin looks like he might be getting a shower of spit there.

Gurdgiev is kicking absolute ass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I think if I was married to Marie Sherlock I would end up whacking her over the head with a shovel just to stop her from talking...

She'd have your eye out, the way her arms flap around as if independent of her body.

Joe Durkan

Joe Durkan joined the ESRI in 1969 and was a Research Officer until 1983. He was the main author of the Quarterly Economic Commentary from 1973 until 1983. He spent 6 years in business, with DKM where he worked with two former ESRI colleagues (R. Kelleher and C. McCarthy); with National and City Brokers (NCB); and then with Coopers and Lybrand. He joined UCD as a lecturer in the Department of Economics in 1989 and following his retirement in 2002, he continues to teach at UCD until the end of the current academic year. His research interests are the Irish economy and health economics. Joe returned to the ESRI on a part time basis in February 2011 to join the Quarterly Economic Commentary editorial team.

Durkan is pretty much a public service lifer... you can tell there is no passion or urgency in what he's doing or saying.. probably gets a bigger pension than the person working in the equivalent job full time in Germany... Just puts together a few oul reports for the ESRI (who seem to get everything wrong anyway) and put a bit of government friendly spin on it. No recession for Joe..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

He comes across to me as a guy who doesn't believe a word he's saying.

You'd think that but thats how he always sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I'm on the Sky+, 40 mins behind.....but.....

the first 20 minutes of every single programme about the economy revolves around an argument about how many billions (or trillions) we owe.

Why can't they write it down on big white board and agree on it and wheel the bloody thing out every evening.
    I'm lost....150 billion....225 billion....2011, 2012????
    Is the bank guarantee included? Are NAMA haircuts included? Sweet jehovah.

Will somebody not knock up a bloody spreadsheet or something!?

It reminds me of this sketch....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

something like this would be nice!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

• Advertisement

scargill wrote: »
    Why can't they write it down on big white board and agree on it and wheel the bloody thing out every evening. I'm lost....150 billion....225 billion....2011, 2012????

That's a real good idea... however I doubt Vinnie will take it up as it would probably require him to get more proficient at that zooming in tool that he has so much trouble with..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement