Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watching this now from a recording.

That PBP girl is a total idiot.

Amazed at them all agreeing that Ireland was the first country to fight against the British Empire....they've obviously never heard of the US War of Independence (1775-1783)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conscious

SkidMark wrote: »
    That woman with the black top is a foghorn, ruining the debate. And what has Afghanistan got to do with anything that went on today?
    I agree with some of the points that Brid was making tonight! The Queens is completely responsible for bombings and innocent lives taken by her troops in Afghanistan, exactly like they were responsible for lives in Ireland years ago. For you to say what has Afghanistan got to do with today is utterly arrogant. Since when did Afghani lives become less important to irish lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Apart from the off-the-wall PBP nonsense spouting, the other highlight for me was Ulick accusing VB of "acting the maggot". I thought the old fella was going to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

conscious wrote: »
    I agree with some of the points that Brid was making tonight! The Queens is completely responsible for bombings and innocent lives taken by her troops in Afghanistan, exactly like they were responsible for lives in Ireland years ago. For you to say what has Afghanistan got to do with today is utterly arrogant. Since when did Afghani lives become less important to irish lives?

And there was me thinking it was the British government that was giving orders to the British armed forces...

C'mon, be realistic about it now. She is the Head of State, but she is not responsible for policy nor did she order the troops in, her government did.

Situation in Afghanistan is very complicated, and I don't think the British Army are going around killing innocent Afghanis.

Also, I do not see what her visit here has got to do with it in anyway. This is all about relationships between Ireland and Britain, and her visit is going to do more good for that relationship than bad.

Also, don't forget that Ireland is neutral state and therefore we should not have any opinion on the war in Afghanistan.

Wonder if the same things will be said about Obama's visit here next week as US troops are responsible for more issues in Afghanistan than the UK.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    C'mon, be realistic about it now. She is the Head of State, but she is not responsible for policy nor did she order the troops in, her government did.

Situation in Afghanistan is very complicated, and I don't think the British Army are going around killing innocent Afghanis.

Also, I do not see what her visit here has got to do with it in anyway. This is all about relationships between Ireland and Britain, and her visit is going to do more good for that relationship than bad.

Also, don't forget that Ireland is neutral state and therefore we should not have any opinion on the war in Afghanistan.

Wonder if the same things will be said about Obama's visit here next week as US troops are responsible for more issues in Afghanistan than the UK.

But she does have the authority to get her troops out of Afghanistan!

Although Ireland is a neutral state, I cant help as a human being to have an opinion on the war in Afghanistan, sure didn't enda kenny just recently praise obama on getting bin laden.

This is news to me...

telekon wrote: »
    This is news to me...

well its old news to me...she is commander in chief to the armed forces

Eh....no she doesn't....she may be commander in chief but it's all symbolic.

All policy in the UK is done by the government and she never ever gets involved with politics.

I'm amazed at myself as a strong republican and anti-monarchist (the prinicpal of monarchy, not just British) that I'm on here defending the queen, but I do believe that we must realise that she is the chosen head of state of our nearest neighbour and we must respect that.

We should be happy that she is here as a peaceful visitor and guest and not as a ruler and make her welcome.

It will do the country more good than harm and she'll be gone in a couple of days!

As for your comment about Kenny praising Obama, that has nothing to do with Queen's visit.

well its old news to me...she is commander in chief to the armed forces

Yea but get real here. She rubber stamps decisions by her government, like her predecessors have done before. The UK is a democracy. Governed by the people, for the people etc. etc.

If she started throwing her weight around, she wouldnt last 2 seconds. She has no power in reality. So saying she should pull troops out of Afghanistan is a complete nonsense in fairness.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Eh....no she doesn't....she may be commander in chief but it's all symbolic.

All policy in the UK is done by the government and she never ever gets involved with politics.

I'm amazed at myself as a strong republican and anti-monarchist (the prinicpal of monarchy, not just British) that I'm on here defending the queen, but I do believe that we must realise that she is the chosen head of state of our nearest neighbour and we must respect that.

We should be happy that she is here as a peaceful visitor and guest and not as a ruler and make her welcome.

It will do the country more good than harm and she'll be gone in a couple of days!

As for your comment about Kenny praising Obama, that has nothing to do with Queen's visit.

Why isn't cameron called commander in chief if his government are the only authority over the armed forces

Why isn't cameron called commander in chief if his government are the only authority over the armed forces

Give it a rest pal.

Oh yeah you're right, I never thought of it that way.

No doubt the queen has a bunker deep in the bowels of Buckingham Palace where she has a large table with a map of the world on it and she plots and plans all of the British military's next moves by moving model soldiers and tanks around with a stick whilst barking orders down the phone to her generals.

She's probably only here on a reconnaissance mission and we can now conclude that a British re-invasion is imminent!

Cameron only visits her every week for an update so he can work out the costs and also prepare his speeches as he just pretends to be the one running the country.

Really she is a very discreet dictator and no one has copped it except you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sorry to butt in here but the Queen has no more chance of pulling the British troops out of Afghanistan than I have. She's a figurehead and she's good for tourism but she has no real power. Charles I started throwing his weight about and look what happened to him. If you've got any beef then have it with the British Government.

Just out of interest, I wonder if as many people will be "morally outraged" when Barack Obama visits this country next week? Somehow I doubt it but it's ironic considering that the United States makes the UK look like chicken feed when it comes to showing their military imperialist might around the world. That PBP woman tonight really pissed me off. They seem to be nothing more than another splinter group of Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

Fair play to Vincent for talking about the bombings. West Brit RTE wouldnt touch it. Also that Ulick McAvady is some rotten creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

lol at the responses here about the woman from PBP, she was excellent last night, clearly won every debate. I think thats the reason ye are getting so worked up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Limerick3 wrote: »
    lol at the responses here about the woman from PBP, she was excellent last night, clearly won every debate. I think thats the reason ye are getting so worked up tbh

She showed herself to be a complete dope with nothing cogent to add to the topics being discussed. You must of been on something last night, at least I hope for your sake that you were.

She showed a profound ignorance of international matters by adding 2 and 2 and getting 6. She should stick to whatever she's good at, and she won't make any more howlers for the viewer to face-palm.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    She showed a profound ignorance of international matters by adding 2 and 2 and getting 6. She should stick to whatever she's good at, and she won't make any more howlers for the viewer to face-palm.

I doubt she's much good at anything. People Before Profit would be far better off highlighting the cronyism and corruption that's going on in this oligarchy of ours instead of trotting out the tired and hackneyed old anti-British sentiments. They certainly lost my support last night. And to think that I almost voted for one of their muppets at the last election! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Its not "THE" queen its Queen Elizabeth II, any foreign heads of state are known as their name.

In Britian:
    President Mary McAleese will met with The Queen on a state visit to Ireland.

In Ireland:
    Queen Beatrix will meet with the President on a state visit to The Netherlands.
    The President will met with Queen Elizabeth II on the British state visit.

I doubt she's much good at anything. People Before Profit would be far better off highlighting the cronyism and corruption that's going on in this oligarchy of ours instead of trotting out the tired and hackneyed old anti-British sentiments. They certainly lost my support last night. And to think that I almost voted for one of their muppets at the last election!

So they never really had your support. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

For you to say what has Afghanistan got to do with today is utterly arrogant. Since when did Afghani lives become less important to irish lives?

Yesterday was 100% about Ireland and Britain, a symbolic but important event in the relationship between the two countries.

It wasn't about Afghanistan or any other country on the planet.

And Brid Smith was the worst panellist they have ever had on the show. I'd be surprised if People Before Profit let her go on again, she will drive voters away from them in their droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

She did in her hoop!

Elmo wrote: »
    Its not "THE" queen its Queen Elizabeth II, any foreign heads of state are known as their name.

In Britian:
    President Mary McAleese will met with The Queen on a state visit to Ireland.

In Ireland:
    Queen Beatrix will meet with the President on a state visit to The Netherlands.
    The President will met with Queen Elizabeth II on the British state visit.

Quote:
    I doubt she's much good at anything. People Before Profit would be far better off highlighting the cronyism and corruption that's going on in this oligarchy of ours instead of trotting out the tired and hackneyed old anti-British sentiments. They certainly lost my support last night. And to think that I almost voted for one of their muppets at the last election!

So they never really had your support. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the lesson in pedantry but most people refer to her as "The Queen" unless you're working for the diplomatic corps. I would support some of the policies of People Before Profit when it comes to domestic issues in this country but the reason I didn't vote for them at the last election was because I suspected that there were plenty of Republican nut-jobs among their ranks. That was confirmed by the ranting of their representative on Vincent Browne's show last night. As I said, to think I almost voted for them at the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thanks for the lesson in pedantry but most people refer to her as "The Queen" unless you're working for the diplomatic corps.

Or when perhaps you happen to have your own head of state. I don't imagine that the Swedes would say The Queen with reference to "The Queen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

She shouldn have been there that night.. The war in Iraq has nothing to do with the Queen's visit.. She had a couple of points that she wanted to make whether they were discussing the Queen or the economy... She should have been left until another night..

She shouldn have been there that night.. The war in Iraq has nothing to do with the Queen's visit.. She had a couple of points that she wanted to make whether they were discussing the Queen or the economy... She should have been left until another night..

Halloween night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Had Vinny not done his usual hysterical interjecting it might have developed into an interesting debate on Hypocrisy.
    I get the point she was making... it is hypocritical that they are here apologising for the past (and their part in it) while indulging in the same imperialist bullying elsewhere in the world.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Had Vinny not done his usual hysterical interjecting it might have developed into an interesting debate on Hypocrisy.
    I get the point she was making... it is hypocritical that they are here apologising for the past (and their part in it) while indulging in the same imperialist bullying elsewhere in the world.

You can't do imperialist bullying without an empire.

VB knew that she was talking horse-sh1t, and almost split his sides laughing at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You can't do imperialist bullying without an empire.

VB knew that she was talking horse-sh1t, and almost split his sides laughing at her.

So you are saying that there is nothing at all absurd about the visit and what Cameron claims for it, considering what her Army is at elsewhere in the world?

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Or when perhaps you happen to have your own head of state. I don't imagine that the Swedes would say The Queen with reference to "The Queen".

Funny that. I hear Americans referring to her all the time as "The Queen", and the last time I checked she wasn't their head of state either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement