Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gavin Titley may look like he's from the Lord Of The Rings, but he's an extremely sharp guy.. Always very impressed by his analysis and delivery..

He had a nice little moment there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Excellent analysis of the depiction of the protesters from Titley. Some people on here should take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

SkidMark wrote: »
    Do you mean Lindsay Earner-Byrne? :confused:

Thought Vincent called her Linda.. DE wan in DE red coat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Aengus looking special privilages for Tds there? That they should be safe to walk around Dublin past checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

how come Aenghus got to meet all the people who had a bad day yesterday? i was cycling around and didn't notice anyone complaining much (apart from eirigi) but he somehow bumped into a few people who missed flights due to the disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Was it around the same time when he saw the German Panzers coming through the Ardennes and got on his bike..

Accoding to google he came here in 1969 after he retired (so hardly comparable to The Queen)

His ancestors were from Co.Down.

To be honest, all I know about him I learnt from 'Day Of The Jackal'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Thought Vincent called her Linda.. DE wan in DE red coat..

Dat's Kathleen Lynch in de Red Coat,

Lindsey Earner-Byrne (the other one) speaks the Queen's English better than the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

murrayp4 wrote: »
    She needs elocution lessons...

Dis dat dese and doze.

She has improved since the last time that she was on, so she must have had some lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Excellent analysis of the depiction of the protesters from Titley. Some people on here should take note.

agreed, too much of a groupthink "what will the neighbours think" thing going on - I said the exact same thing as Titley in the AH thread, he's right in my view, there is certainly a kind of collective self-conscious eager to please pseudo-intellectual snobbery at play here and any dissenting voice or alternate view is immediately shouted down as embarrassing the nation, furthermore the criticism of the protesters is quite revealing, i don't mind people criticising their behaviour if they are out of line but many of the comments focus on their looks and perceived social status

I am happy that many people have been moved by this and I don't begrudge them their views, however i would hope that they would offer me the same grace because and I am just speaking personally here I have never been a big fan of "symbolic" events, nor have they affected me as much as some, I am more of a practical raw data kind of guy and this event has not made me like or dislike the british state any more or less than I did before the Queen came. I had no problems with British people or the British state before the Queen came and that position hasn't changed. So let's make sure there is no populist bullying or discrediting of those seemingly few of us who for whatever reason are not joining the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

After the People Before Profit woman last night and O'Snodaigh tonight, the so-called Republicans have come across very badly this week. Was he saying "David Cameroon" on purpose to piss people off or was he pronouncing it in Irish? As in the O'Camerún's who were originally from Turmonfeckin?

Just to illustrate the sheer hypocrisy of the Shinners, despite the fact that they say they have no objection to The Queen's visit, they're planning a protest march in Cork on Friday. Tossers.

And another thing, everybody has a right to protest peacefully but when they start firing missiles, setting fire to wheelie-bins and using the barriers as offensive weapons, then they deserve to be called thugs and skangers. Maybe somebody should say that to the tweet guy who seemed to be more concerned with expressing his own opinions instead of doing the job he was supposed to do, as in reading out tweets.

After the People Before Profit woman last night and O'Snodaigh tonight, the so-called Republicans have come across very badly this week. Was he saying "David Cameroon" on purpose to piss people off or was he pronouncing it in Irish? As in the O'Camerún's who were originally from Turmonfeckin?

Just to illustrate the sheer hypocrisy of the Shinners, despite the fact that they say they have no objection to The Queen's visit, they're planning a protest march in Cork on Friday. Tossers.

They have objected to the visit from the off:confused: Adams was on the telly yesterday saying that they thought it was premature.
    And another thing, everybody has a right to protest peacefully but when they start firing missiles, setting fire to wheelie-bins and using the barriers as offensive weapons, then they deserve to be called thugs and skangers. Maybe somebody should say that to the tweet guy who seemed to be more concerned with expressing his own opinions instead of doing the job he was supposed to do, as in reading out tweets.
    Maybe if Vinny would do his job of dispassionate chairman, the show would be worth watching.:rolleyes:

They have objected to the visit from the off:confused: Adams was on the telly yesterday saying that they thought it was premature.

The Shinners were beginning to backtrack on their vehement opposition to The Queen's visit in recent weeks, even to the point where the Sinn Fein Mayor of Cashel said he would welcome The Queen to the town if that was what the people of Cashel wanted.

It's about time that O'Snodaigh and co. realised that Britain would be out of Northern Ireland in a flash if that's what the majority of the people in the North want. All of this 'them and us' nonsense is pathetic.

Yeah, the shinner got this call badly wrong... It was amazing to see all those people in the same room... Unionists, Prime Minister, Queen, Taoiseach, President.. It's only when you see them all there that you realise the significance...

Sinn Féin ended up being the spoilsports, left on the outside looking in.. I think Adams realised that he got it wrong once he had seen how the Queen was greeted by the Irish people, and softened his tone accordingly.. but at that stage it was too late to join the party..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

The Shinners have yet to come in from the cold and to fully participate in the political arena.
    Full participation means exactly that - supporting visits of foreign dignitaries including the Queen of Britain.
    Adams and Co. badly misjudged the mood of the majority of Irish people who have no objection to the visit.
    SF would have been more acceptable by their northern, UK and Irish political counterparts had they attended the various events of the past few days culminating with the State banquet at Dublin Castle.
    Instead, Adams and Co. thought they would speak on behalf of the working classes of Co Louth, Dublin a Donegal in denouncing this visit as being premature.
    They will never have the opportunity again to show they have truly laid down their arms and have engaged in political dialogue.
    Adams and O'Snodaigh are mouths, followed by MLMcDonald. I won't be lectured by them or by their kit and kin about the political and economic future of this country.
    Snubbing our nearest neighbour out of some long lost political idealogy shows have far SF have to go before catching up with modern Irish thinking.
    Shame on you all at SF.

Yeah, the shinner got this call badly wrong... It was amazing to see all those people in the same room... Unionists, Prime Minister, Queen, Taoiseach, President.. It's only when you see them all there that you realise the significance...

Sinn Féin ended up being the spoilsports, left on the outside looking in.. I think Adams realised that he got it wrong once he had seen how the Queen was greeted by the Irish people, and softened his tone accordingly.. but at that stage it was too late to join the party..

The significance for those who want to look honestly at the situation is that SF and others refusal to accept invites means that a sizeable amount of our citizens oppose this visit.
    Those who greeted the queen 'warmly' are not the Irish people as you whimsically wish, they were 'some' of the Irish people.
    You can live in denial all you want. :rolleyes:
    kevin99 wrote: »
    The Shinners have yet to come in from the cold and to fully participate in the political arena.
    Full participation means exactly that - supporting visits of foreign dignitaries including the Queen of Britain.
    Adams and Co. badly misjudged the mood of the majority of Irish people who have no objection to the visit.
    SF would have been more acceptable by their northern, UK and Irish political counterparts had they attended the various events of the past few days culminating with the State banquet at Dublin Castle.
    Instead, Adams and Co. thought they would speak on behalf of the working classes of Co Louth, Dublin a Donegal in denouncing this visit as being premature.
    They will never have the opportunity again to show they have truly laid down their arms and have engaged in political dialogue.
    Adams and O'Snodaigh are mouths, followed by MLMcDonald. I won't be lectured by them or by their kit and kin about the political and economic future of this country.
    Snubbing our nearest neighbour out of some long lost political idealogy shows have far SF have to go before catching up with modern Irish thinking.
    Shame on you all at SF.

Save us from the reactionary guff which is designed and written to have a pop at an ideology you detest, you are so far off the mark!
    Like Paisley and a certain breed of Unionist you seem to require the complete capitulation of SF and the Republican movement.

Personally, I'm glad SF stayed away, it has been bad enough to witness the likes of Biffo, Bertie, Trimble, Robinson, assorted ex(?) UDA thugs being invited to the various events without adding Grizzly and Co into the mix. But just like the majority of us voted in favour of the GF Agreement - despite it meaning an open door for an array of murderous thugs to be released from prison - we must grin and bear these things for the sake of the future.

Personally, I'm glad SF stayed away, it has been bad enough to witness the likes of Biffo, Bertie, Trimble, Robinson, assorted ex(?) UDA thugs being invited to the various events without adding Grizzly and Co into the mix. But just like the majority of us voted in favour of the GF Agreement - despite it meaning an open door for an array of murderous thugs to be released from prison - we must grin and bear these things for the sake of the future.

Yes sir, three bags full sir? Yes sir.:rolleyes::rolleyes: So sorry for being Irish Sir.

Yes sir, three bags full sir? Yes sir.:rolleyes::rolleyes: So sorry for being Irish Sir.

Could you expand your witty comment on my post? :p

• Advertisement

Could you expand your witty comment on my post? :p

Isn't it terribly inconvenient sir that Ireland is full of The Irish.

You're still not making any sense in relation to what I posted but as long as your happy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

He's a Shinner-lover. You don't expect sense or modern, rational thought do you?

tallpaul wrote: »
    He's a Shinner-lover. You don't expect sense or modern, rational thought do you?

Actually, I am not a Shinner and never have been. I am not affiliated to or a member of any party.
    I have also never been ashamed of any Irishman for what they look like (Biffo, Grizzly) or for their actions, (unless they are criminal) I consider that a fundamental tenet of being of being a citizen. I may disagree with you, but I am not ashamed of you.
    In saying that, I also recognise and accept that there are those who enjoy the freedom of the Republic, but who refuse to accept what had to be done to achieve that freedom. That they can ignore the realities of what it took to achieve that freedom and yet consign their fellow countrymen in NI to the yoke of oppression (and the denial of civil liberties that that brings) is selfish in the extreme and sad.
    Our history isn't pretty but it's our history nonetheless.

Those who greeted the queen 'warmly' are not the Irish people as you whimsically wish, they were 'some' of the Irish people.

Just to be clear, I'm not a supporter of Sinn Féin or any party, I'm just calling it as I see it.. And I'm not whimsically wishing or denying anything.. The general mood of the media and commentators is that the Queen's visit so far has been a success, which Sinn Féin were not a part of... And the aesthetics of it looked really bad.. Everybody else in the Aras sitting down having dinner together and Sinn Féin on the outside looking in..

It looked particularly bad that evening when Gerry Adams was interviewed at the gates of some place, looked like he had been locked out..

Everybody else in the Aras sitting down having dinner together and Sinn Féin on the outside looking in..

Yes, and what does that mean?
    That Sinn Fein represent a body of opinion who object?
    Would you have any criticism to make if they lied about their position?
    What about the non Sinn Fein people who refused their invitations?

The significance for those who want to look honestly at the situation is that SF and others refusal to accept invites means that a sizeable amount of our citizens oppose this visit.

Save us from the reactionary guff which is designed and written to have a pop at an ideology you detest, you are so far off the mark!
    Like Paisley and a certain breed of Unionist you seem to require the complete capitulation of SF and the Republican movement.

Sinn Fein wouldn't know the true meaning of Republicanism if it jumped up and bit them on their fat backsides. A true Republican believes in a pluralist and all-encompassing society, which is what the men of 1916 died for; hence the inclusion of the orange section of our tricolour. Do you honestly think that if the current rabble that call themselves Sinn Fein were tasked with coming up with a flag to represent this country they would incorporate orange into it? They would in their arse. Sinn Fein only believe in what they perceive as their own version of Republicanism - and that has very narrow confines.

The only reason why Sinn Fein picked up 14 seats at the last election was because people wished to register a protest vote. It won't be long before the citizens of this country see them for the hypocrites they are.

I was laughing when I saw O'Snodaigh last night refusing to recognise The Queen as head of state in Northern Ireland. If this is Sinn Fein policy, then why are they allowing their MLA's to sit in a parliament in a jurisdiction in which the British monarch is still the head? Would it have anything to do with all the perks these guys are getting? Fecking hypocrites. I might stand up and say that I refuse to recognise Obama as Head of State of America but he's still the fecking head of state!

It seems to me that Sinn Fein want it both ways. They want to enjoy the trappings of power and all that brings, yet at the same time they don't want anything to do with the establishment and their responsibilties to participate in a fully democratic political process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

was it just me or did Aonghus O'Snodaigh call Cameron CAMEROON several times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redux

SF got it wrong again, it often misreads the Republic. We don't have the Northern experience, our experience of the British is historical, so not much point trying to continue the war here. They will never be anything but a minority party until they get it, we are screwed by our own people not by the British and that is the major concern of the day. It is the 21st century, not the 19th.

The Queen is a welcome guest and a lot more people are out and about trying to see her and only a pitiful few out protesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭squonk

A sizeable amount you say! I'd think not. I have yet to meet a friend or co-worker who has expressed any reservations with her visit. I think many who may have been undecided would certainly have been reassured by the wreath laying ceremony and last night's speech. I've heard many people expressing sentiments along the lines that it'd be a terrible pity of the visit didn't go well or if anything happened to her while she was here.

Based on my understanding of those who died in 1916, the Ware of Independence and the subsequent Civil War, I think if we could ask them for their opinion I feel that they would be very positive and proud to see that our head of state can stand shoulder to shoulder with a British Monarch.

Anyone saying there is a sizeable amount of opposition is vastly misreading the mood and sentiment of the population. The people I've seen who openly opposed the visit this week, namely People Before Profit, Sinn Fein and the skangers were very much minority groupings and, it has to be said, vastly removed from the thinking of most Irish people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement