Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I would have thought that a true Republican didn't believe in the institution of a Monarchy.
    was it just me or did Aonghus O'Snodaigh call Cameron CAMEROON several times?

I would love to see CAMEROON try to pronounce Mr. O'Snodiagh's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sinn Fein wouldn't know the true meaning of Republicanism if it jumped up and bit them on their fat backsides. A true Republican believes in a pluralist and all-encompassing society, which is what the men of 1916 died for; hence the inclusion of the orange section of our tricolour. Do you honestly think that if the current rabble that call themselves Sinn Fein were tasked with coming up with a flag to represent this country they would incorporate orange into it? They would in their arse. Sinn Fein only believe in what they perceive as their own version of Republicanism - and that has very narrow confines.

The only reason why Sinn Fein picked up 14 seats at the last election was because people wished to register a protest vote. It won't be long before the citizens of this country see them for the hypocrites they are.

I was laughing when I saw O'Snodaigh last night refusing to recognise The Queen as head of state in Northern Ireland. If this is Sinn Fein policy, then why are they allowing their MLA's to sit in a parliament in a jurisdiction in which the British monarch is still the head? Would it have anything to do with all the perks these guys are getting? Fecking hypocrites. I might stand up and say that I refuse to recognise Obama as Head of State of America but he's still the fecking head of state!

It seems to me that Sinn Fein want it both ways. They want to enjoy the trappings of power and all that brings, yet at the same time they don't want anything to do with the establishment and their responsibilties to participate in a fully democratic political process.

Two questions after that revealing rant:
    1. What did the men of 1916 and after have to do to achieve their pluralist and all encompassing society?
    Did it perhaps involve spilled blood? Or in your version (like so many other deniers) has it also been sanitised?

2. How long did it take for the heads of the DUP and UUP to actually shake the pro-offered hand of Sinn Fein or to accept them as legitimate mandated representatives of nationalists?

seems to me that Sinn Fein are not the only ones who want it two ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Two questions after that revealing rant:
    1. What did the men of 1916 and after have to do to achieve their pluralist and all encompassing society?
    Did it perhaps involve spilled blood? Or in your version (like so many other deniers) has it also been sanitised?

2. How long did it take for the heads of the DUP and UUP to actually shake the pro-offered hand of Sinn Fein or to accept them as legitimate mandated representatives of nationalists?

seems to me that Sinn Fein are not the only ones who want it two ways.

I wouldn't exactly blame the Unionists for not wanting to shake hands with the Shinners considering their armed wing were doing their best to blow them up for so many years. And then when Sinn Fein were supposed to be embracing the peace process and eschewing violence and thuggery, we had the Northern Bank robbery. :rolleyes: Go figure that one out!

And yes of course blood was spilled during the war of independence and the subsequent civil war but does that mean that we have to perpetuate blood spilling indefinitely? There should come a time when people show some pragmatism towards the current political situation that pertains in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein still have a bee in their bonnet about "British imperialism in Northern Ireland" when we all know that the British would be out of there in a nano-second if they could.

I wouldn't exactly blame the Unionists for not wanting to shake hands with the Shinners considering their armed wing were doing their best to blow them up for so many years. And then when Sinn Fein were supposed to be embracing the peace process and eschewing violence and thuggery, we had the Northern Bank robbery. :rolleyes: Go figure that one out!
    No, the unionists where doing what so many in this country do...having their cake and eating it. They maximised the emotive symbolism of the refusal to engage and then when the 11th hour came and they were forced to do it, we got the Cuckle Brothers. :rolleyes: Cynical or what?
    And yes of course blood was spilled during the war of independence and the subsequent civil war but does that mean that we have to perpetuate blood spilling indefinitely? There should come a time when people show some pragmatism towards the current political situation that pertains in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein still have a bee in their bonnet about "British imperialism in Northern Ireland" when we all know that the British would be out of there in a nano-second if they could.

There is still a way to go, but I am optimistic that that time will come, like it has in the south, and I dare say people will sanitise the past up here too, like a lot down south have.
    The monuments to war are generally lavish creations, it's easy to forget the reality of those wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

kevin99 wrote: »
    The Shinners have yet to come in from the cold and to fully participate in the political arena.
    Full participation means exactly that - supporting visits of foreign dignitaries including the Queen of Britain.
    Adams and Co. badly misjudged the mood of the majority of Irish people who have no objection to the visit.
    SF would have been more acceptable by their northern, UK and Irish political counterparts had they attended the various events of the past few days culminating with the State banquet at Dublin Castle.
    Instead, Adams and Co. thought they would speak on behalf of the working classes of Co Louth, Dublin a Donegal in denouncing this visit as being premature.
    They will never have the opportunity again to show they have truly laid down their arms and have engaged in political dialogue.
    Adams and O'Snodaigh are mouths, followed by MLMcDonald. I won't be lectured by them or by their kit and kin about the political and economic future of this country.
    Snubbing our nearest neighbour out of some long lost political idealogy shows have far SF have to go before catching up with modern Irish thinking.
    Shame on you all at SF.

perhaps the leadership of sinn fein were afraid of the reaction they would get from thier base had they welcomed or even met the queen of england , sinn feins base in northern ireland and the border parts of the republic view adams and mc guinness as having moved a very long way already , things are different for sinn fein than they are for other partys in this regard and a descision by the leadership to meet the monarch could very well see them loose support to disident republicans who seem to be gaining some ground , i dont vote sinn fein and have no time for thier left wing economic policy but i can see thier predicament on an issue like the queens visit , i think they shouldnt have bothered with any silly stunts like releasing baloons though , that certainly didnt work and o snodaigh is a useless media performer anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

excellent idea there to expand panel. I reckon we get one of the regulars here to go on, :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

lads what do you think of the same people saying forget about the past with regard to british occupation of Ireland and murder of Irish citizens and those same people refuse to give sinn fein the benefit of the the doubt and still bring up the terrorist acts of the IRA as a way to attack sinn fein

if you can forgive the past of one side why not the other, it's the lack of consistency in the argument that disappoints me, like a lot of commonly-held "acceptable" arguments put forward it's based on the popular liberal consensus of the day but it should be open to criticism like everything else

wasn't garret on vincent browne not too long ago, a rare thing in politics, a man of integrity, sad day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

yes we need more women on the show;):p:D

It's really really revealing (vinny's emotion) how interconnected all these people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's really really revealing (vinny's emotion) how interconnected all these people are.

Well at least we know how Sarah Burke got her job anyway... Every day on the radio giving out about the health service. How is she qualified to do this???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The bit about Austin Deasy during the Cabinet meeting was funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

She is talking over everyone else on a night that all the panel have their stories about the great man, very self opinionated and rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Well at least we know how Sarah Burke got her job anyway... Every day on the radio giving out about the health service. How is she qualified to do this???

shes a D4 socilist who has no problem getting a platform on RTE , who,d have thought it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conscious

I often watch vincent browne sometimes and I notice that he does have left and right wing people on the show debating! But alot of the time he brings on journalists who are just there to try and discredit certain TDs that are also on the show! Its sickening to watch these sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

She has won a number of important awards for her medical news coverage so she must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The hideous Marie Louise on again. She is too overbearing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The Queen is apart of the Lizard people. Fact. Jim is looking well apart from the mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Jim is really cultivating his nutter look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

My conspiracy theory is that Jim Corr's sudden baldness strangely co-incided his new nutjob personality.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The hideous Marie Louise on again. She is too overbearing :eek:
    F.Y.P

1224279354270_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

will some one feck out jim corr out the window behind them , what a tosser.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why the hell is Jim Corr on? I hope to God he doesn't start going on about 9/11

He has some interesting takes on the economic crisis mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Maureen Gaffney, Sam smyth, Jimbo corr, who else?
    Edit: Barry Desmond, OK.

Great to see Barry Condoms Desmond after so long

Today, Enda Kenny nominated Marie Louise O'Donnell to the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Jim is very quiet…maybe worried that the new world order might be watching!

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Great to see Barry Condoms Desmond after so long
    Condoms :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Mary Louise O'Donnell was nominated to the Seanad by Enda Kenny tonight as one of his eleven nominations.. And her having been across all media pre election promoting him... He did exactly the same as what Bertie did with Eoghan Harris after the last election.. I think this is truly disgusting...

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Today, Enda Kenny nominated Marie Louise O'Donnell to the Seanad.

What a dreadful decision. Bossy oul cow

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Condoms :confused:
    When he was Minister For Health, he tried to bring them in to chemists on general sale. There was war at the time. Much ado about nothing by today's standards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement