Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Norris has a sense of humour about his sexuality...the least you can do is try have the same.

The context is also important. It was intended to demean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Hermann Von Rumpey (sp)!

Refusing to share a plane? Sounds like a charachter and plot from 'Allo 'Allo.

Oh man. With a name like that he must be the next sexual scandal to hit Europe. Is he interviewing for the IMF job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's a joke ffs..

I know it was a joke. An unfunny, outdated one, but a joke nonetheless. The point I'm making is that you do your own argument no favours by making that kind of remark. And it's extremely disingenuous to accuse people of "taking the last refuge" when they call you out on it. If people who are anti-Norris don't want to be confused with those who are anti-gay, they should probably be more careful about throwing the old lazy stereotypes around.
    does the remark about tonight's female presenter having "a crow on her head" mean that that poster is misogynistic? (I thought that one was funny btw biggrin.gif )

There's no comparison. Was that poster simultaneously suggesting that the woman in question shouldn't be on the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

RayM wrote: »
    I know it was a joke. An unfunny, outdated one, but a joke nonetheless. The point I'm making is that you do your own argument no favours by making that kind of remark. And it's extremely disingenuous to accuse people of "taking the last refuge" when they call you out on it. If people who are anti-Norris don't want to be confused with those who are anti-gay, they should probably be more careful about throwing the old lazy stereotypes around.

There's no comparison. Was that poster simultaneously suggesting that the woman in question shouldn't be on the show?

Owner of the crow joke here, it was a joke as this is a light hearted TV forum or so I thought. Deeper thinking is for the Humanities or Politics forum.

D1stant wrote: »
    Oh man. With a name like that he must be the next sexual scandal to hit Europe. Is he interviewing for the IMF job?

I doubt it, even the Belgiums think he is boring. Google an image of him, he looks like an old science teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I doubt it, even the Belgiums think he is boring. Google an image of him, he looks like an old science teacher.

Looks didnt really hold Strauss-Kahn back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Tonight's show will be about Brian Lenihan instead on the normal Friday
    night show.
    As it should be imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Being constituency colleagues, I expect Burton and Varadakar to 'play it safe' with their comments.

McGuinness - being an FF man - will no doubt spin away about the last few years.

Might not watch all of this, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

What time did this start at?

• Advertisement

Being constituency colleagues, I expect Burton and Varadakar to 'play it safe' with their comments.

McGuinness - being an FF man - will no doubt spin away about the last few years.

Might not watch all of this, then.

Where is Joe Higgins? Doubt he would hold back.

nummnutts wrote: »
    What time did this start at?

10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm no supporter of Fianna Fail nor was I a supporter of the banking guarantee but a 52 year old man died today who's left behind a wife and young family. I think it's only right that people pay their respects to him. It's also worth remembering that he became ill during the economic bankruptcy of this country, the stress of which must have been catastrophic on him.

Where is Joe Higgins? Doubt he would hold back.

Don't know. Down in Kerry maybe, lol?

I'm no supporter of Fianna Fail nor was I a supporter of the banking guarantee but a 52 year old man died today who's left behind a wife and young family. I think it's only right that people pay their respects to him. It's also worth remembering that he became ill during the economic bankruptcy of this country, the stress of which must have been catastrophic on him.

You can pay respects to him, but also be critical of parts of his political legacy.

Today, the news media in general - and leading politicians - seemed so afraid of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Aye.. but it's a little bit tragic to think that only after a person has passed away, the masses pay their respects. What does that say about us?

Will the sentiment shown towards Bertie and Cowen also shift so dramatically once they have died? Everything you said is correct but isn't it a bit late for such apologetics?

Sure as long as it makes ourselves feel better, then where's the harm..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Aye.. but it's a little bit tragic to think that only after a person has passed away, the masses pay their respects. What does that say about us?
    Brian Lenihan was inundated with good wishes when the news of his diagnosis broke in December 2009 so I'd say both he and his family were heartened by that.

You can pay respects to him, but also be critical of parts of his political legacy.

Today, the news media in general - and leading politicians - seemed so afraid of this.

I don't think today is the day for bashing his policies. The man died today. The condolences and praise for him as a politician will flood in over the next few days - criticism and questions and scrutiny will come in later.

I don't think today is the day for bashing his policies. The man died today. The condolences and praise for him as a politician will flood in over the next few days - criticism and questions and scrutiny will come in later.

Not from 'Official Ireland' - bet on it!

Not from 'Official Ireland' - bet on it!

Official Ireland? Media and such?

• Advertisement

Official Ireland? Media and such?

Big media, politicians, business heads, bank chairmen, etc.

Lets not forget that this guy was turned into a villain by certain members of the public who blamed him personnally for them buying the holiday home abroad, upgrading their house, buying the two new cars cause they weren't big enough for the kids, the luxury summer holiday that they could brag at work about etc

Lets not forget that this guy was turned into a villain by certain members of the public who blamed him personnally for them buying the holiday home abroad, upgrading their house, buying the two new cars cause they weren't big enough for the kids, the luxury summer holiday that they could brag at work about etc

They were just Celtic Tiger led idiots.

A large amount of people remained modest throughout.

Honohan coming clean on certain things now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

There will be plenty of time to discuss his political legacy in the future. How do you think members of his family would feel if they tuned in tonight and saw a no holds barred debate about Brian Lenihan's inadequacies as Minister For Finance?

As I said, I didn't support any of his policies regarding the banking guarantee but what his death goes to show is that life is sometimes an awful lot shorter than we think it is going to be and sometimes things need to be put into some sort of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Brian Lenihan was inundated with good wishes when the news of his diagnosis broke in December 2009 so I'd say both he and his family were heartened by that.

I'm sure they did. I would have wished him well too, but by doing so I wouldn't have absolved him of anything that he was intrinsic in. My opinion of him has not changed now that he is dead.. and my opinion is purely formed on his political input. I didn't know him, but I'm sure he was a loving man and a good friend to many people. But he was still a politician at a crucial time in Ireland's history.. as are the many others who played a part in what happened.. and I don't think it's very dignified when the only respects shown to those people come after tragedy hits them. I would never wish harm on anyone, but nor would I pretend that my opinions had changed just because of their circumstances.

The emotional gushing and disdain towards those not partaking in such, from many of those who were vocally outspoken about Lenihan and FF in the very recent past, is just hypocritical and cringeworthy.

They were just Celtic Tiger led idiots.

A large amount of people remained modest throughout.

Of course they were, like the fellow in the cement mixer or the guy who lost all his money on Titanic area in Cork who then danced on Charlie grave cause it was Charlie fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

As has been said above, I don't think today is the day to judge his politcal and economic legacy.Not saying we shouldn't do that, just not today. Today is the day to remember and respect the courage and dignity with which he faced his illness and death. That kind of stoicism is very rare indeed and I will always respect that .

There will be plenty of time to discuss his political legacy in the future. How do you think members of his family would feel if they tuned in tonight and saw a no holds barred debate about Brian Lenihan's inadequacies as Minister For Finance?

As I said, I didn't support any of his policies regarding the banking guarantee but what his death goes to show is that life is sometimes an awful lot shorter than we think it is going to be and sometimes things need to be put into some sort of perspective.

I don't want to go back and forth on this, but do you really believe his family members are watching TV tonight? Really?

• Advertisement

Varadkar must be taking Trichét's advice.

I haven't heard him speak in the thirty minutes I've been watching. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement