Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Of course they were, like the fellow in the cement mixer or the guy who lost all his money on Titanic area in Cork who then danced on Charlie grave cause it was Charlie fault.

I know who you voted for then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I don't want to go back and forth on this, but do you really believe his family members are watching TV tonight? Really?

So just because his family may not be watching tonight, that means they should have free rein to tear strips out of the man?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm no supporter of Fianna Fail nor was I a supporter of the banking guarantee but a 52 year old man died today who's left behind a wife and young family. I think it's only right that people pay their respects to him. It's also worth remembering that he became ill during the economic bankruptcy of this country, the stress of which must have been catastrophic on him.

What about the stress the fianna fail-crooked developers-crooked bankers consortium have put on the people of this country. Lenihan was in goverment for the whole lot of it and never said anything. We will be paying for it for generations. Just because he died does not absolve him from responsibility or criticism.

I respect him for battling on through hes illness, but lets not forget he and hes party dragged us into this hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

RIP as a child of God
    But all these idiots talking about how great he was and such a nice guy he was is POLITICS.
    Polititians trying to look good to the public.
    Linehan was a terrible polititian,his decisions have ruined this country for the next 30 years.
    Says a lot about the Irish,when you hear so many speaking so highly of him.
    He was very quick to line the pockets of the wealthy.:mad:
    God this dump of a country makes me sick.

What about the stress the fianna fail-crooked developers-crooked bankers consortium have put on the people of this country. Lenihan was in goverment for the whole lot of it and never said anything. We will be paying for it for generations. Just because he died does not absolve him from responsibility or criticism.

I respect him for battling on through hes illness, but lets not forget he and hes party dragged us into this hole!

I agree completely with you. I despise Fianna Fail. All I'm saying is that this is not the night to dissect his politcal career to the point where people start excoriating the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm sure they did. I would have wished him well too, but by doing so I wouldn't have absolved him of anything that he was intrinsic in. My opinion of him has not changed now that he is dead.. and my opinion is purely formed on his political input. I didn't know him, but I'm sure he was a loving man and a good friend to many people. But he was still a politician at a crucial time in Ireland's history.. as are the many others who played a part in what happened.. and I don't think it's very dignified when the only respects shown to those people come after tragedy hits them. I would never wish harm on anyone, but nor would I pretend that my opinions had changed just because of their circumstances.

The emotional gushing and disdain towards those not partaking in such, from many of those who were vocally outspoken about Lenihan and FF in the very recent past, is just hypocritical and cringeworthy.
    Like the previous posters, I feel tonight is not the night to go attacking this man's record. We need remember the man and acknowledge the bravery he displayed during his illness.
    Brian Lenihan - RIP

So just because his family may not be watching tonight, that means they should have free rein to tear strips out of the man?

Maybe better to talk about something else tonight on the show then? Start with a brief tribute, and then move on maybe? Enough coverage on other media today,as it is.

Hearing endless general platitudes about a controversial political figure from some of the usual suspects, does not make for a great programme.

People die in Ireland everyday,Suicide from debts caused by the bailout,shootings,car accidents,drug overdose,freezing to death in a flat in Dublin cause she couldnt afford to pay ESB,etc etc,none of these poor souls were part of the bank bailout BUT there is no sympathy for them.
    A crocked,shady,two faced polititian passes away and we are all supposed to show our deepest love for him????????????????
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHh the double standards here,a reason why Ireland is quickly becoming the backyard of Europe.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I know who you voted for then. :rolleyes:

See thats the sort of childish digs that you get in this country when you point out these nut jobs protesting, blaming their own stupidity on someone else. Its always someone elses fault, you only have to look at the crazy compensation claim culture that exists in Ireland. People are unwilling to take personal responsibility. Like someone voted FF into the government before last but I didn't see too many boards posters claiming they voted FF:eek: And no I didn't vote FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Can someone please close this thread for 48 hours.

In respect?

• Advertisement

See thats the sort of childish digs that you get in this country when you point out these nut jobs protesting, blaming their own stupidity on someone else. Its always someone elses fault, you only have to look at the crazy compensation claim culture that exists in Ireland. People are unwilling to take personal responsibility. Like someone voted FF into the government before last but I didn't see too many boards posters claiming they voted FF:eek: And no I didn't vote FF.

Brian Lenihan never manned up to his catastrophic mistakes, so what about that?

The Smokey Robinson song 'Tears of a Clown' seems apt, reading your comments.

tweedledee wrote: »
    A crocked,shady,two faced polititian passes away and we are all supposed to show our deepest love for him????????????????

I honestly do not think that Brian Lenihan was crooked. Misguided -yes. Out of his depth - yes. Not enough business acumen or economic experience to cope sufficiently with the catastrophic collapse and effective bankruptcy of this country - yes. But I do not believe he was crooked.

Charlie Haughey was crooked. Some of Fianna Fail TDs in the last government were crooked and corrupt, but I don't think you could level such accusations at Brian Lenihan.

I'll probably be lynched for saying that but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I don't want to go back and forth on this, but do you really believe his family members are watching TV tonight? Really?

I don't get that.
    I have people in my family die but I still have the TV on
    that day even if I don't watch it.
    If it was off when it would usually be on I would have been more depressed.
    Someone dies turn off the TV.?

I honestly do not think that Brian Lenihan was crooked. Misguided -yes. Out of his depth - yes. Not enough business acumen or economic experience to cope sufficiently with the catastrophic collapse and effective bankruptcy of this country - yes. But I do not believe he was crooked.

Charlie Haughey was crooked. Some of Fianna Fail TDs in the last government were crooked and corrupt, but I don't think you could level such accusations at Brian Lenihan.

I'll probably be lynched for saying that but there you go.
    If he was as straight as you say what was he doing in fianna fail all hes life?

Dodd wrote: »
    I don't get that.
    I have people in my family die but I still have the TV on
    that day even if I don't watch it.
    If it was off when it would usually be on I would have been more depressed.
    Someone dies turn off the TV.?

Maybe you come from a slightly different culture to me on this, but when someone in my own family had died - the wake began - and you would have to engage with several neighbours, friends, old colleagues, etc. (even if you found most of them boring, lol!). So, straying away to watch the telly was certainly frowned upon.

Maybe it is different with the Lenihans, for all I know.

NOT a bad guy????????WHAT???????he sat down with Cowan and signed away THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND TO WEALTHY BANKERS and then TO WEALTHY er em BANKERS!!!!!! take yer head out of yer botty,he was a major team player in FF,the party taht ripped off our kids for the next THIRTY YEARS.
    Sympathy?????I think not.:mad:

If he was as straight as you say what was he doing in fianna fail all hes life?

Michéal Martin has been in Fianna Fail all his life - he's not crooked.

I'm no apologist for Fianna Fail and as I said earlier I despise the party but Brian Lenihan was not crooked IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

Vincent Browne is a legend.
    He's always right. Well, everytime I've watched him, he was the only one in the studio making sense.

Maybe you come from a slightly different culture to me on this, but when someone in my own family had died - the wake began - and you would have to engage with several neighbours, friends, old colleagues, etc. (even if you found most of them boring, lol!). So, straying away to watch the telly was certainly frowned upon.

Maybe it is different with the Lenihans, for all I know.

Maybe you come from a slightly different culture to me on this, but when someone had died we'd generally stop talking ****e about them and leave the familly and friends in peace.

Brian Lenihan had many friends and relatives. Some of them may be quite young and reading this. Please have a little respect and give it a rest for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

timeout.jpg

This is a thread for the Vincent Browne TV show (TV discussion in the TV forum, shocking I know). This is NOT the thread to discuss Brian Lenihan's legacy.

Locking this thread for the night. I'll reopen tomorrow, and hopefully calmer heads will prevail.

G'night all.

• Advertisement

Todays Sunday Times states that TV3 have decided to keep the VB running while VB takes his long summer using guest presenters. It seems that TV3 have decided to increase the shows female quota by recruiting the cream of Irish womanhood to present the show in VB place. They are currently in talks with Sarah "Little White Lie" Carey and Mary "Mammy" O'Rourke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Any idea when he's heading off? He was around until well into July last year.

Any idea when he's heading off? He was around until well into July last year.

Didn't say, just that it was 6 weeks so it might be mid July again and the whole of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

They are currently in talks with Sarah "Little White Lie" Carey and Mary "Mammy" O'Rourke.

Sarah Carey's credibility is completely shot.. I actually thought she was a good presenter, but she lied to the tribunal to try to help Denis O'Brien.. She should certainly not be allowed to host the show or any similar show... she's tarnished goods at this stage..

Does Denis O Brien own TV3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Does Denis O Brien own TV3?

Did I say that?? My point is that she has proven herself to be a) prone to propagating mistruths and b) aligned to another person who has serious media interests.. So she couldnt be trusted to be objective when carrying out interviews..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

Vincent Browne is Krusty the clown

Did I say that?? My point is that she has proven herself to be a) prone to propagating mistruths and b) aligned to another person who has serious media interests.. So she couldnt be trusted to be objective when carrying out interviews..

Agree. She is a disgraceful arrogant lightweight. I'd rather see Twink do it. At least she will admit to those things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

They are repeating Patrick Honahan's comments from Friday Night re the IMF/EU deal.

The bit I have read before now was interesting.

• Advertisement

I dont disagree with you, i was simply asking does Denis o brien own tv3? If he does it would explain why she is getting the gig!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement