Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There are denominational graveyards?

I did not know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Aine Kerr is on the Panel tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Another study, VB seems to be doing a program a week on his bedtime reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Vincent outdoors during daylight hours! Somehow I thought he was a bit of a vampire

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There are denominational graveyards?

I did not know this.
    Not so much these days. However, some families continue to use old famiy plots within the protestant or catholic church grounds.

• Advertisement

Is VB from Limerick city or county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Corsendonk wrote: »

county i think , will be interesting to see if vincent avoids refering to the long running tinker fued which dominates limerick

Broadford, West Limerick

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Broadford, West Limerick

Hey MrsD, I think this part is pre-recorded :)

SkidMark wrote: »
    Hey MrsD, I think this part is pre-recorded :)
    Hiya Skid ;)

I'm so disappointed, I was full sure it was a live broadcast :D:D:D

• Advertisement

your parents didn't have the money and they don't seem to have given a sh1t about you if you were involved in drink and drugs at 9.

your parents didn't have the money and they don't seem to have given a sh1t about you if you were involved in drink and drugs at 9.
    Ah now lets not be judgemental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

A miserable, shut off looking place!

Ah now lets not be judgemental.
    I'm not judging this guy. I am judging parents whose kids can get involved with alcohol and drugs before they reach double digit years. He didn't stand a chance, did he?

Would they have been better parents if they were living somewhere else, or if Moyross had better social facilities?

Reminds me of Ballymun and Ballyfermot, both sucide blackspots caused by drink and drugs. Every week when I worked in Ballyfermot someone local had topped themselves and they all had drugs or drink problems.

Might have been better to have this film on on a night when the show was a full hour long,

By the time he does the papers there will only be a few minutes left.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Aine Kerr is on the Panel tonight.

Is she on for 2 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Don't look now but your being followed.

I'm not judging this guy. I am judging parents whose kids can get involved with alcohol and drugs before they reach double digit years. He didn't stand a chance, did he?

Would they have been better parents if they were living somewhere else, or if Moyross had better social facilities?
    It seems obvious that the parents had huge issues themselves but it is society and poor housing and planning policies (by Limerick City Corporation) that have failed people in these areas.

Those lads look like the Wolfe Tones.

• Advertisement

It seems obvious that the parents had huge issues themselves but it is society and poor housing and planning policies (by Limerick City Corporation) that have failed people in these areas.
    i agree with you to an extent. The issue of Social Services and the involvment of social workers with dysfunctional families has just been raised there, which was partly what I was getting at.

These areas have been used as sink estates for families that perpetuate extreme dysfunction. The parents had issues? Sure, then don't leave the kids with em. The parents have a huge share of the guilt here. His parents and social services failed this man and his brothers. As I said before, they never stood a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The guy with the moustache speaks more sense than most politicians.

Is she on for 2 mins?

That's starting to look optimistic :mad:

i agree with you to an extent. The issue of Social Services and the involvment of social workers with dysfunctional families has just been raised there, which was partly what I was getting at.

These areas have been used as sink estates for families that perpetuate extreme dysfunction. The parents had issues? Sure, then don't leave the kids with em. The parents have a huge share of the guilt here. His parents and social services failed this man and his brothers. As I said before, they never stood a chance.
    What help did his parents receive though from the HSE or health boards at the time? The reality is that many people in these areas suffer from chronic alcoholism, depression etc etc. but help has always been thin on the ground in areas like Southill and Moyross.

It is a bit like the mental health adverts on TV and radio telling people to look after their mental health but when people go to look for help there is very little help there for people who can't afford to pay for it.

What help did his parents receive though from the HSE or health boards at the time? The reality is that many people in these areas suffer from chronic alcoholism, depression etc etc. but help has always been thin on the ground in areas like Southill and Moyross.

It is a bit like the mental health adverts on TV and radio telling people to look after their mental health but when people go to look for help there is very little practical help there for people who can't afford it.

Do you not believe - wherever you come from - that you have to take a fair share of personal responsibility if you fall into drug and or alcohol addictions?

Do you not believe - wherever you come from - that you have to take a fair share of personal responsibility if you fall into drug and or alcohol addictions?
    I definitely do, but if a couple of my children committed suicide and I turned to drink as a comfort, I'd like to think someone would be interested in helping me to address my issues.

It is a bit like the mental health adverts on TV and radio telling people to look after their mental health but when people go to look for help there is very little practical there for people who can't afford it.
    We are largely in agreement, mrs d.:)

But the fact of the matter is, having a 9 year old on drink and drugs is not excusable, regardless of alcoholism, depressison etc. Neglect is Neglect

I definitely do, but if a couple of my children committed suicide and I turned to drink as a comfort, I'd like to think someone would be interested in helping me to address my issues.

Fair point. Of course, the lack of internet access in areas like Moyross does not help if you are looking for a counsellor.

Government maybe could have used money to put in place local counselling branches, instead of protecting bankers.

We are largely in agreement, mrs d.:)

But the fact of the matter is, having a 9 year old on drink and drugs is not excusable, regardless of alcoholism, depressison etc. Neglect is Neglect
    I agree with you too for the most part :) Good night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

blaming society for dysfunctional parents which ultimatley results in dysfunctional kids , only absolves responsibility on the part of those parents , helps no one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement