Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

baldbear wrote: »
    The lady in green is living in a fantasy land. Those companies will follow Dell.

yeah, the ex head of Intel was at a conference last year.. and he said of the thirteen reasons that they initially chose to invest in Ireland... (e.g. low labour costs, Low rental cost, low electricity costs, etc etc) the only one that still remained was the low corporation tax... ALL of the other advantages were now gone.. HP and Intel will eventually follow Dell, Gateway and the rest of the IT companies...

I just wish those idiots in government had tried to keep our indigenous industries (like the sugar beet industry) going, rather than creating a huge dependency on the whims of large multinationals..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Katherine someone, you're man John is been a bit agressive to her. She's nearly shaking!

what? she has been like a dragon and started attacking him from the word go and she won't shut up despite the fact she is talking complete garbage. will she take a cut in her €110K a year job????

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Lady in Green "if you raise coporation tax where will they go?"

Cloud cookoo land - India, China, Malaysia, Singapore etc. etc

All teach English as a second language, all invest in education, all have a cheaper work force.

Katherine someone, you're man John is been a bit agressive to her. She's nearly shaking!

yeah, he was a bit aggressive with her, and he had a right go at Vincent early on in the show... He's like a traveller at a wedding..

The only chance the Government had of getting their hands on that purported 1.25 trillion was when they ACQUIRED the money... through sale of land taxes or sale of house taxes etc etc... It's gone now, and they wont be able to get near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Jadaol wrote: »
    what? she has been like a dragon and started attacking him from the word go and she won't shut up despite the fact she is talking complete garbage. will she take a cut in her €110K a year job????

Yea she's talking silly but John nearly hit her with the mug.:D Who does she work for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

There's a media analyst and a media consultant.
    No wonder i'm bored.
    Bring back the people with real job titles Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

yeah, he was a bit aggressive with her, and he had a right go at Vincent early on in the show... He's like a traveller at a wedding..

The only chance the Government had of getting their hands on that purported 1.25 trillion was when they ACQUIRED the money... through sale of land taxes or sale of house taxes etc etc... It's gone now, and they wont be able to get near it.

Funny you hear very little about efficiency and spending efficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Yea she's talking silly but John nearly hit her with the mug.:D Who does she work for?

lecturer in ucd....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Very poor quality guests on tonight, that argumentative guy needs to chillax

Charlie McCreevy gets 130k pension a year.. that is truly criminal from the man who was at the heart of the huge increases in our public sector expenses...

Maybe given that he said "while I have it I'll spend it" (and then of course added to ANNUAL current expenditure) ... we should say to him "Charlie, since we dont have it, we wont spend it on you"...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

AOwannabe wrote: »
    Very poor quality guests on tonight, that argumentative guy needs to chillax

it likes hes trying to impress somebody! relax specs we get it, your a capitalist!

maxxie wrote: »
    it likes hes trying to impress somebody!

True, I'd say he's trying to be the next Vincent Browne

Load of hot air tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

That chap with the glasses is spot on. The Multi-Nationals operating here are the only ones (along with smaller businesses) who contribute real tax revenue. They pay it and their staff pay it too.
    General managers and CEOs (from these companies) are constantly lobbying the government, to not only keep Corporation Tax at it's current level, but to actually lower it.
    There is genuine fear within the ranks of these companies. People are scared silly, that EU pressure to higher CT will potentially cost them their jobs. I know this for sure.
    There's significant evidence to suggest that this would happen. The company I used to work for, were never done harping on about how much LOWER, they could get down the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

PKen wrote: »
    That chap with the glasses is spot on. The Multi-Nationals operating here are the only ones (along with smaller businesses) who contribute real tax revenue. They pay it and their staff pay it too.
    General managers and CEOs (from these companies) are constantly lobbying the government, to not only keep Corporation Tax at it's current level, but to actually lower it.
    There is genuine fear within the ranks of these companies. People are scared silly, that EU pressure to higher CT will potentially cost them their jobs. I know this for sure.
    There's significant evidence to suggest that this would happen. The company I used to work for, were never done harping on about how much LOWER, they could get down the tax.

Questionable to say the least. They pay nothing near the 12.5%. The only way we'll get anywhere near 12.5% from them if we raise the corporate tax rate nearer 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

She works for UCD. He's a founder member of M Coleman's new Right Wing Rant Tank, The National Something.

telekon wrote: »
    Questionable to say the least. They pay nothing near the 12.5%. The only way we'll get anywhere near 12.5% from them if we raise the corporate tax rate nearer 20%.

From yesterday's Daily Telegraph:

The US warning was written by Lionel Alexander, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, and a senior HP executive.
    Foreign investment equates to €110bn or 70pc of all exports with US companies alone employing more than 100,000 workers.
    While the companies are not threatening to leave at this stage, the statement signed by senior Irish executives from each of the four companies mentioned does directly point out that although Ireland's tax rate may be low in European terms, it is not when compared with locations such as Singapore, India and China.
    The letter says: "The IMF, the European Central Bank and the European Commission must realise that any increase in our corporation tax rate would ultimately make us more economically dependent, not less so on our European Union partners."

If you work for one of these companies and value your job, you'll be praying that Corporation Tax is not touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

If you work for one of these companies and value your job, you'll be praying that Corporation Tax is not touched.

Yea, I'm agreeing with you. All I'm saying is that the figure may be 12.5% but the government fall well short in attempting to actually collect that 12.5% from the multi-nationals.

The threat of them leaving must be an incredibly good bargaining tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The only way to see if our tax regime remains sovereign is to increase the 12.5 to 15 and then a few years down the road reduce it back to 12.5. Of course then we would know that politician's lied again.

Elmo wrote: »
    The only way to see if our tax regime remains sovereign is to increase the 12.5 to 15 and then a few years down the road reduce it back to 12.5. Of course then we would know that politician's lied again.

So you're prepared to gamble with other people's jobs. I wouldn't be prepared to do this, just to prove a point with a politician. It'll be the (mostly low paid) workers, who'll pay the price - not the politicians.

• Advertisement

So you're prepared to gamble with other people's jobs. I wouldn't be prepared to do this, just to prove a point with a politician. It'll be the (mostly low paid) workers, who'll pay the price - not the politicians.

A small increase of 1 to 2 percent isn't going to do much and lets face it most of the political parties are willing to inflict high taxes on the most vulnerable. I wouldn't mind if politicians weren't suggesting mass cuts and mass tax increases. And they could reduce them back to 2010 levels the following year, couldn't they????? ;)

A small increase of 1 to 2 percent isn't going to do much and lets face it most of the political parties are willing to inflict high taxes on the most vulnerable. I wouldn't mind if politicians weren't suggesting mass cuts and mass tax increases. And they could reduce them back to 2010 levels the following year, couldn't they????? ;)

What about the "Law Of Diminishing Returns". You may get a few euros more this and next year. But the following year you'll get nothing, because these Companies will be gone to China or Malaysia.
    The left (Richard Boyd Barett, Joe Higgins etc.) never seem to see, that they'd be "Killing The Goose, That Laid The Golden Egg". Although not ideal, I'd still rather work for low wages than no wages at all.

What about the "Law Of Diminishing Returns". You may get a few euros more this and next year. But the following year you'll get nothing, because these Companies will be gone to China or Malaysia.
    The left (Richard Boyd Barett, Joe Higgins etc.) never seem to see, that they'd be "Killing The Goose, That Laid The Golden Egg". Although not ideal, I'd still rather work for low wages than no wages at all.

Sorry PKen while the Left might be Looney but the Right have been royally rubbished in the last few weeks.

For example the government could have announced that the 12.5 would go up by 2% in 2013 and 14 in line with VAT. The law of diminishing returns will occur just the same. Why? a reducing in mini-wage causing 50,000 or so people/families to have less money and then on top of that 2% increase in VAT causing them to have even less money. Lets hope the multinationals come to employee some people over the next four years.

"Don't put your eggs all in one basket"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

It's nothing more than economic suicide to raise the corporation tax even by a couple of percentage points as we are in such a weak position at present. It's too much of a gamble to prove a principal. The multinationals are the only part of the economy that is growing at the moment.

Your economic views remind me of this guy.tongue.gif

Talking about Wikileaks tonight. Has he forgotten about the bailout or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I see Martin Mansergh will be providing the comedy element tonight. Must get my earplugs ready.

Koloman wrote: »
    I see Martin Mansergh will be providing the comedy element tonight. Must get my earplugs ready.

2 minutes and he's already pissed him off that must be a record..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did Martin bring that accent from Oxford? I like Nicolas earrings!

Sam Smyth getting a good kick out of Vincent's toying with Mansergh.

• Advertisement

John Delaney is after getting old looking..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement