Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

irishh_bob wrote: »
    blaming society for dysfunctional parents which ultimatley results in dysfunctional kids , only absolves responsibility on the part of those parents , helps no one
    I have already stated that the parents have issues. If they are dysfunctional, one should be asking why are they dysfunctional. I believe there are good and bad in every walk of life and some people are unfortunately a victim of circumstance. In many disadvantagesd areas you have children who leave school at an early age and have no qualifications so automatically they are at a higher risk of longterm unemployment etc. Even when some receive third level qualifications their address often is yet another hurdle they have to overcome.

I believe that state agencies like the HSE, Department of Education, FAS and others could do more to help people in disadvantaged areas. Depression and suicide rates are alarmingly high but the HSE's answer to mental health issues is to run expensive adverts on TV/radio advising people to talk about their mental health, yet people who can't afford counselling can't access a service or are subjected to ridiculous wait times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Some good news for Vincent!

The family home which he and his wife purchased in 1987 for €119,000 has just sold after being on the market for over nine months. (Guide price was €3.25 million). However, Vinny needs the money as he has accrued €1.5 million in debts. (debts from failed publishing ventures).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vincent-browne-sells-dalkey-mansion-at-last-2675916.html

http://photos.myhome.ie/media/8/9/7/349798/coillimore51.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Vincent is not afraid to ask the hard questions from any guest. He keeps telling us how unequal our society is but de politicians are not listening. It is usually the best place to get de truth about de economy, banks and many other issues b4 the establishment admit these. It can be repetitive but is de best current affair prog.on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Vincent is not afraid to ask the hard questions from any guest. He keeps telling us how unequal our society is but de politicians are not listening. It is usually the best place to get de truth about de economy, banks and many other issues b4 the establishment admit these. It can be repetitive but is de best current affair prog.on offer.

Totally agree and just goes to show how much of a right wing clann RTE are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

francie81 wrote: »
    Totally agree and just goes to show how much of a right wing clann RTE are.

rte is only right wing in the same way as alaska is only warm compared to siberia , rte is left leaning , vincent browne is far left

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Can you still get Tonight with VB on the internet. I'm having difficulty getting the livestream from TV3 if anyone can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Vinny is wrong footed tonight. He is going to discuss last night film about social depravation in Moyross, when there is a huge story (potentially) breaking about default on Anglo and ILP Bonds.

He should have got an extra half hour last night and done the whole Moyross thing in one night.

This was always a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

irishh_bob wrote: »
    rte is only right wing in the same way as alaska is only warm compared to siberia , rte is left leaning , vincent browne is far left

I would really hate to meet the people that you consider far right, if you consider VB "far left"!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Some good news for Vincent!

The family home which he and his wife purchased in 1987 for €119,000 has just sold after being on the market for over nine months. (Guide price was €3.25 million). However, Vinny needs the money as he has accrued €1.5 million in debts. (debts from failed publishing ventures).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vincent-browne-sells-dalkey-mansion-at-last-2675916.html

http://photos.myhome.ie/media/8/9/7/349798/coillimore51.pdf

Had to laugh at the Independent's description of it as a "mansion". :D
    It looks modest enough tbf.

keanooo wrote: »
    Can you still get Tonight with VB on the internet. I'm having difficulty getting the livestream from TV3 if anyone can help.

If you are in Ireland, check out Magnet Web TV

It's free to stream the regular channels, works very well.

https://www.magnetwebtv.ie/web/login.jsp

• Advertisement

Why won't she address the lack of intervention of social serivecs with these kids?

That was a hedged response if ever i've heard one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Why won't she address the lack of intervention of social serivecs with these kids?

That was a hedged response if ever i've heard one!

Sure her study benefited from social workers inthe area telling her they don't have enough resources so I doubt she will blame them.

Same problems in the rest of the country Vinnie only they seem to have more guns in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

So after this high felluting discussion of how inequality in society and neglect by the State have apparently contributed to these kids' behaviour, how about we look at the real reasons... It's a complete failure of parenting and guidance.. It's not popular to say with a left wing panel on the show, but a lot of the parents and guiding influences in the kids' lives are scum..

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Sure her study benefited from social workers inthe area telling her they don't have enough resources so I doubt she will blame them.

Good point.

Went to visit an after to school club in ballymun, once. Fantastic project getting real results.

The lady running it told us in no uncertain terms that the main issue with the kids not attending school was the parent(s) not giving a **** and often this being due to drug/drink problems, but not always. She also said that most of the social workers wouldnt stay working in that area wnd were afraid of the parents.

Something is very wrong with that picture! I'm not saying these places won't benefit from better services and facilities but sometimes it has to be better for kids to get them out of families that really dont give a crap about them.

The sw running the after school club said that some of the kids kept visiting the after school club when they were 18/19 'cos there was no-where from them to go and no-one wanted them at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Scumbags.

Spot on there Vincent.

Lapin wrote: »
    Scumbags. Spot on there Vincent.

Same old crap on VB.. A load of academics defending the "socially oppressed".. Let them live beside the families for a year and see if they think they are a) socially oppressed or b) scumbags...

Jaysus has Cassie gone under the knife.. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I tuned out after he lamented the apparent mistake of giving people £5000 to get out of hell - holes in the past. It's hard to know which end he's talking out of tonight. I've never heard such social - engineering do gooder crap in my life.

Incidentally, the mistake they made in these estates in Limerick was moving scumbags in with normal people, in the hope that it would make the scumbags nice. It didn't: the decent people either left or found themselves living under siege.

Like a lot of VB's crap lately. Nice to talk about, not so nice to live with (not that he'd know)

Georgia and Calum Best.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

• Advertisement

"Dogging spots" :D

Is the LL on line?

no reason, like, just asking...

Did you really think you a had chance with Calum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Happilly I missed that bit.

Went out to have a look a the Space Station passing over Ireland.

Pretty cool it was too !

Georgia and Calum Best..... :(

I'd ask "who?" but I really don't care.

I wish Irish Life would be a bit honest... Jim's father told him to bring condoms to his debs, but he didnt bother.. He didnt go to college, he's living with yer wan and the kid in a council flat now..

She could do so much better :(,

although if they ever get married 'Georgia Best' has a nice ring to it :pac:

I wish Irish Life would be a bit honest... Jim's father told him to bring condoms to his debs, but he didnt bother.. He didnt go to college, he's living with yer wan and the kid in a council flat now..
    Yes, the kid goes ot robbing and dogging and he's only 5. but it's not Jim's fault, 'cos he hasn't been educated enough to know that's wrong and he needs to take control of his kid's behaviour. If only Jim had gone to college...

Lapin wrote: »
    Happilly I missed that bit.

Went out to have a look a the Space Station passing over Ireland.

Pretty cool it was too !

Lucky you, all I can see on the northside is cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

SkidMark wrote: »
    She could do so much better :(,

although if they ever get married 'Georgia Best' has a nice ring to it :pac:

they're making their way to the redemptorist's place in limerick right as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes, the kid goes ot robbing and dogging and he's only 5. but it's not Jim's fault, 'cos he hasn't been educated enough to know that's wrong and he needs to take control of his kid's behaviour. If only Jim had gone to college...

didn't he get a grand job with eircom all the same though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement