Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

MEOW!

Not one bit put out by the bad review in the dubliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

i think yer one to the right of David has a thing for him. :pac:

Don't blame her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is it me or does Vinnie looked pissed every Friday?
    Let he who is without a can of cheap cider in his hand throw the first stone..
    SkidMark wrote: »
    Sarah Harte? Edit: I'm getting confused here
    oh right.. Most straight talking I've heard from a woman on VB's show EVER.. Disappointed SkidMark.. disappointed.. (thanks withdrawn.. :( )

They should just leave the camera on Margaret Ward.. She makes me think of the Caramel ad, where the bluebird flies in through the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

David has only eyes for Miriam.biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

I think David has put Vinnie in his place, there.
    I think someone should check Ulich's pulse.

Oh, relax everyone...he's alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Koloman wrote: »
    Sarah Caden not Harte is Brendan's other half.

Yeah I got that wrong.

It's Sarah Harte, but she's not connected to Brendan O'Connor,

I changed my post

Vinnie is less Devil's Advocate and more contrary teenager tonight.

I feel like giving him a clip round the ear.

[QUOTE=JonathanAnon;72830514

They should just leave the camera on Margaret Ward.. She makes me think of the Caramel ad, where the bluebird flies in through the window..[/QUOTE]

I feel guilty for not liking her on Newstalk,

She's a fox, the full package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

I feel guilty for not liking her on Newstalk,

She's a fox, the full package.

She's a fine thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

It looks like David Mcwilliams has a script on the ceiling.

Ulick always looks like he trying to remember what his name is.. with the tongue action of a sucky calf..

oh right.. Most straight talking I've heard from a woman on VB's show EVER.. Disappointed SkidMark.. disappointed.. (thanks withdrawn.. :( )

I'm more disappointed than anyone, You will have my resignation in the morning.

She was a guest on BoC's show and, well, it's been a long day,

Ulick always looks like he trying to remember what his name is.. with the tongue action of a sucky calf..
    Here's hoping that either of us will have his intellect at 83.

I'd settle for only looking bewildered, as long as i'm not actually.

Oh, get a room!

Hasn't Vinny just sold a gaf in Dalkey?

I'm more disappointed than anyone, You will have my resignation in the morning.

that's just not good enough.. I could have tweeted what you said .. (my Twitter machine, unlike Vincent's, works on a Friday night)... imagine the trouble I would have been in then, spreading mistruths.. :mad:

Bored now.. I miss Ryan :-(

that's just not good enough.. I could have tweeted what you said .. (

Ah,to be fair, you have tweeted far worse :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Tuned in during the commerial breaks and the show just seemed a plug for Bulmers. Was it just me or did Sarah Harte look like she had real bad sunburn on her chest?

Was it just me or did Sarah Harte look like she had real bad sunburn on her chest?

I was too gentlemanly to look there..
    Corsendonk wrote: »
    Tuned in during the commerial breaks and the show just seemed a plug for Bulmers.

I dont think so.. The subject was raised by Sarah, who said that Michael O'Doherty had criticised David McWilliams for appearing in the ad. Vincent jumped on the point and asked McWilliams was it a conflict of interest for an economist to promote a private company.. I think McWilliams was more deefending his corner than promoting Bulmers..

I dont think so.. The subject was raised by Sarah, who said that Michael O'Doherty had criticised David McWilliams for appearing in the ad. Vincent jumped on the point and asked McWilliams was it a conflict of interest for an economist to promote a private company.. I think McWilliams was more deefending his corner than promoting Bulmers..

To be fair, Vincent played one of The Bulmers Commercials in full after introducing the panel ... it was the first item on his agenda tonight, having a dig at McWilliams. Bulmers won't be complaining, and McWilliams defended his position well.

• Advertisement

To be fair, Vincent played one of The Bulmers Commercials in full after introducing the panel ... it was the first item on his agenda tonight, having a dig at McWilliams. Bulmers won't be complaining, and McWilliams defended his position well.

Yes the camera just caught a displeased look on VB face when McWilliams defended himself so well. Obviously wasn't best pleased it backfired on him.

I was too gentlemanly to look there..

Too busy checking out Margaret E Ward? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I was disappointed with Margaret E Ward last night, she was going on about real journalists being those who are card carrying members of the NUJ and who studied journalism. She was quick to point out that David McWilliams was an Economist and not a journalist. Anyway, it would appear that she forgot one of the golden rules of journalism herself, the need for a journalist to remain impartial.

When she was asked who she would like to see as President, she replied Mary Davis. Most journalists would feel it was inappropriate to nail their colours to the mask like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I was disappointed with Margaret E Ward last night, she was going on about real journalists being those who are card carrying members of the NUJ and who studied journalism.

Study can help someone to become a journalist, but you can't learn to be a journalist. I am a member of the NUJ and many leading journalists are members of the NUJ. Many leading journalists aren't members of the NUJ too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

ahal wrote: »
    Study can help someone to become a journalist, but you can't learn to be a journalist.

In this country, having a mammy or a daddy or another family member who's a journalist is far more important and influential than actually studying it and getting qualifications in that area. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ahal wrote: »
    Study can help someone to become a journalist, but you can't learn to be a journalist. I am a member of the NUJ and many leading journalists are members of the NUJ. Many leading journalists aren't members of the NUJ too.
    I think that David McWilliams is a far better writer than a lot of "proper journalists". You either have the ability to be a good journalist or you don't, all the study in the world is no match for natural talent. As for the NUJ, I don't think they have too many high profile members these days. I could be wrong but I believe Vincent has never been a member.

As a working journalist yourself, do you think it was appropriate for Margaret E Ward to say that she would like Mary Davis to be the next president? I believe you should never be able tell who a journalist likes or supports etc.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    As a working journalist yourself, do you think it was appropriate for Margaret E Ward to say that she would like Mary Davis to be the next president? I believe you should never be able tell who a journalist likes or supports etc.

I think I'd be more of a 'dabbling journalist' to be honest :p though I have, over the years, come in contact with loads of people in the business. Regarding pinning one's colours to the mast so to speak regarding Ms. Davis for President, sadly that seems to me more a sloppy thing to do in an increasingly sloppy journalism 'industry' than anything else.

I may sound like a fuddy duddy saying this, but imho real journalism went out the window about 10 - 15 years ago. It's probably not a coincidence that this happened to dovetail with the rise of mainstream internet. Grammar went out the window, "****e" "feck" and "arse" became acceptable, and Google / Wikipedia became the holy grail of 'facts'. Taken alone, that's not 'research'!

Regarding 'taught' journalism, you're right. There has to be something there to work with in the first place. I have great respect for education - you can learn in a short time what can otherwise take much longer to learn - but it has to be kept in perspective. Unfortunately for far too long 'Education' has been intertwined with Social snobbery rather than actual education in this country.

In my own main field of interest - design - I was told in the late '90's that I wasn't "professional" by someone who throws blobs of paint at a canvas and calls it 'Art' in Temple Bar. A few months later *ahem* my work appeared on BBC1 to an audience of 8 million.

Made it back in time for tonight's show.. So what's on people .. anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Made it back in time for tonight's show.. So what's on people .. anybody know?

Vinny to stare towards the camera and shout: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I can't take it anymore!!!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement