Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

In what way is my opinion offensive exactly ?

The media give the public what they know they want to hear/ see and to take your example, the shocking murder of a wealthly businesswoman at the hands of her cheating husband will sell more copies than headlines regarding a commoner garden druggie who beats to death his prostitute girlfriend in a squat somewhere. Thats life !

Unless you've been living in a bubble for the past few days i don't need to tell you what kind of character Michaela Harte was. Likewise all reporting of the Limerick case, referred to , heroin, criminal convictions, recent release from prison, and though not all related specifically to the young woman who died, she certainly hasn't been referred to in the same terms as anthony campbell, donna cleary, the geoghgan guy.......so draw your own conclusions !

Personally and thankfully, i don't move in circles where there is a possibility the recently released heroin addict i'm currently sleeping with may be shot dead beside me and i might innocently get caught in the cross fire ! who'd have thought that was a possibility like !!!!! Shocking !

I do however have a sister and niece and friends who have and will go on their honeymoon with the full expectation of coming home at the end of the two weeks and living their lives and contributing to life as they always have done !

You've certainly drawn a lot of baseless conclusions.

Most of what you said is prejudicial nonsense, not based on any evidence. Therefore it is offensive and regrettable.

That's wonderful about your sister, what it has to do with Vincent Browne's comments, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

That's wonderful about your sister, what it has to do with Vincent Browne's comments, I'm not so sure.

what are you withering on about !? ..........you're one who took the point off topic to one of my so called baseless conclusions !

Your facetiousness says everything about your naivety and 'right on' thinking ? Whats the bet you're a NIMBY to boot !

Theres a difference between a girl who goes on honeymoon and is murdered purely by chance and a case of documented drug related killing...........

Oh to live in your rose tinted world ! I'ld be delighted to be contradicted re the limerick incident........though somehow i doubt i will !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I'm generally a fan of Vincent and his little idyosyncracies and outbursts / rants but he pissed me off last night when he was complaining about the amount of coverage Michaela Harte was getting in comparison to the girl of the same age murdered in Limerick. 'Im sure she was a lovely girl but why should her death be more news worthy than the Waters girl'.................As Niamh Lyons attempted to explain the two incidents are in no way comparable . I would have gone further to say that the Michaela Harte Tragedy is just beyond comprehension in terms of cruel twists of fate.........An absolutely blameless girl with everything to live for, in what should have been the best few weeks of her life, being murdered completely randomly, just because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with absolute innocence. Vincent couldn't have been that affected by the media overkill of the subject given the fact he couldn't even pronounce the poor girls name correctly, choosing to call her 'Michelle-a' over and over.
    Whilst the Limerick murder is indeed tragic, in my opinion its not comparable, under the theory that ' if you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas'.

which limerick death are you refering to , if its the one involving tinkers , then its no wonder browne saw that death as being just as tragic as the death of the harte girl

tinkers are sacred cows in the mind of mad vinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Vincent couldn't have been that affected by the media overkill of the subject given the fact he couldn't even pronounce the poor girls name correctly, choosing to call her 'Michelle-a' over and over.

I couldn't believe I was hearing that last night, he said it over & over again & no one on the panel corrected him, and come to think of it, why didn't the producer wisper in his ear "its 'Michaela" Vincent, not Michelle-a :confused:

I noticed that he actually listened to Michael D for once, instead of constantly interrupting, as he does with most guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

LordSutch wrote: »
    I couldn't believe I was hearing that last night, he said it over & over again & no one on the panel corrected him, and come to think of it, why didn't the producer wisper in his ear "its 'Michaela" Vincent, not Michelle-a :confused:

I too found this incredible. I mean was he on another planet for the day that he did not hear her name.. It came across as him being disinterested or just badly informed...
    You've certainly drawn a lot of baseless conclusions. Most of what you said is prejudicial nonsense, not based on any evidence. Therefore it is offensive and regrettable.

hotmail.com ... I can see where Betty is coming from tbh, for two reasons.. First of all, Vincent's point was completely inappropriate given that none of the people have been buried yet. So to start creating comparisons between the media coverage at this stage is completely wrong.. Secondly, Des Kelly who was the guy that was shot dead in Limerick.. has convictions for robbery and dangerous driving (killing a young girl), so it is quite likely that he has attracted the attention of nefarious characters through his own deliberate bad deeds. Michaela did NOTHING but go to her room for a packet of biscuits and she was murdered... So, again a comparison between the two and who was deserving of more media coverage is inappropriate and disrespectful to Michaela's memory...

Vincent also snapped at Niamh Lyons for repeating something he had said to her during the break... Bad performance overall by Vincent last nite...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Fianna Failure wheel out Manseragh for Browne to tear strips off again. He seems to be the patsy of choice these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did i hear that right, did vinny just say that some one from FYI will join later to talk about tweets of the day??

i've seen a few minutes of FYI once on 3e. it's completely airhead watching.
    maybe vinny just needs a new brunette (i presume she'll be brunette!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I too found this incredible. I mean was he on another planet for the day that he did not hear her name.. It came across as him being disinterested or just badly informed...

hotmail.com ... I can see where Betty is coming from tbh, for two reasons.. First of all, Vincent's point was completely inappropriate given that none of the people have been buried yet. So to start creating comparisons between the media coverage at this stage is completely wrong.. Secondly, Des Kelly who was the guy that was shot dead in Limerick.. has convictions for robbery and dangerous driving (killing a young girl), so it is quite likely that he has attracted the attention of nefarious characters through his own deliberate bad deeds. Michaela did NOTHING but go to her room for a packet of biscuits and she was murdered... So, again a comparison between the two and who was deserving of more media coverage is inappropriate and disrespectful to Michaela's memory...

Vincent also snapped at Niamh Lyons for repeating something he had said to her during the break... Bad performance overall by Vincent last nite...

I disagree - the media does focus on certain deaths more than others. That's the point Vincent was making and I think it's a valid point that's worth considering.

I don't want to get into the specific issues, but what about the woman that was killed in Limerick. Was her death comparable or not?

As for the events in Mauritious, I have no idea what happened because the trial hasn't taken place yet. Obviously you've seen official police evidence.

As for the events in Mauritious, I have no idea what happened because the trial hasn't taken place yet. Obviously you've seen official police evidence.

Are you insinuating that Michaela was involved in crime or had done something to incur the wrath of a criminal element... My point is to align for ANY reason, these two murders, to create ANY sort of comparison.. is completely inappropriate...
    did i hear that right, did vinny just say that some one from FYI will join later to talk about tweets of the day??

Cassie Stokes (on the right)... tbh, I think Aine Kerr is gorgeous and far more attractive..
    mumanddaughters_i_537308t.jpg

4 minutes til Martin Mansergh blows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mansergh is sent there because his eccentricity and bluster distracts from the real issues. :mad:

The guy doesnt realise his own party is laughing at him...

• Advertisement

There was actually an interesting discussion on the Midweek before this (hosted by Sarah Carey) with Ger Colleran, Tim Pat Coogan and Frank Fahy discussing Brian Cowan.. worth a look for any of you people interested in the VB Show... No idea why they didnt have them on with VB instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Browney7 wrote: »
    Fianna Failure wheel out Manseragh for Browne to tear strips off again. He seems to be the patsy of choice these days
    I have always suspected that behind the defensive academic cloak of Martin Mansergh there lurked a cunning FF rodent.Now I am convinced ! :eek:

There was actually an interesting discussion on the Midweek before this (hosted by Sarah Carey) with Ger Colleran, Tim Pat Coogan and Frank Fahy discussing Brian Cowan.. worth a look for any of you people interested in the VB Show... No idea why they didnt have them on with VB instead..

Thought VB had some major digs at Colleran in those end of year specials. Dont know if he'll be back on.

Caught the end of that. Looked interesting alright. will catch it on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

has anyone ever walked off vincents show?

bluefinger wrote: »

The closest was Jack O'Connor, he fiddled with his mic and all, ready to get up and leave...

bluefinger wrote: »

Vincent threw somebody off last year as well didnt he. I remember him saying we'll be back after the break and x will be gone.. cant remember who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Vincent threw somebody off last year as well didnt he. I remember him saying we'll be back after the break and x will be gone.. cant remember who?

Ya it was a guy who supported Israel Vincent didn't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

LordSutch wrote: »

I noticed that he actually listened to Michael D for once, instead of constantly interrupting, as he does with most guests.
    I could not beleave it last night...getting her name wrong and the whole argument.
    I said to someone if I was shot and Obama was shot .....well the news is not
    going to have me on the front page.
    The girl was liked and the family known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Ya it was a guy who supported Israel Vincent didn't like him.
    He did but the guy was a nutter and would not shut up and let others speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was some crazy pro Jewish (Israeli) commentator shouting down the rest of the panel who were defending the Palestinians and critising the Gaza blockade, I'm sure i saw a video on you tube so have a search. Just watching the show tonight, Jesus Martin Manseagh (can't spell his second name) should have been ****ed off tonight, a complete tool living in FF cuckoo land

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

I have always suspected that behind the defensive academic cloak of Martin Mansergh there lurked a cunning FF rodent.Now I am convinced ! :eek:
    I can only say that having listened to Mansergh tonight and Fahey earlier on 'midweek' it isn't hard to see why our country is on its knees...i mean really who actually votes for these goons? :eek:

Dodd wrote: »
    I could not beleave it last night...getting her name wrong and the whole argument. I said to someone if I was shot and Obama was shot .....well the news is not going to have me on the front page.

Yeah, but obama wouldnt get his own tribute page on boards... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

This guy?

Tom Cooney UCD. He says it at the end of the clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

everyone on twitter is going on about manseragh tonigh. surely the point of yer wan being there is to see what twitter thinks of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

i've seen a few minutes of FYI once on 3e. it's completely airhead watching.
    maybe vinny just needs a new brunette (i presume she'll be brunette!)

Yes quite the babe, Miss stokes i believe but to be honest this new segment is appalling to watch, completely amaturish and embarrassing. Both the panel and Vincent seem to be bemused, i can't see it lasting.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm only watching this show for the talent these days. that cassie stokes is brutal. good looking, but brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes quite the babe, Miss stokes i believe but to be honest this new segment is appalling to watch, completely amaturish and embarrassing. Both the panel and Vincent seem to be bemused, i can't see it lasting.

I totally agree. It's a ridiculous addition to the show.

And what's with the faux-American accent - did she spend any time in the states, or just spending too much time watching fade street?

nummnutts wrote: »
    I totally agree. It's a ridiculous addition to the show. And what's with the faux-American accent - did she spend any time in the states, or just spending too much time watching fade street?

Same here.. wastes too much time introducing her and small talk with her at the start.. Given how many people he has to already introduce and how short the show is....

I think the reason that they have her come on is that they want some sort of interactive element to the show, and Vincent simply couldnt read the texts from the autocue..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

And what's with the faux-American accent - did she spend any time in the states, or just spending too much time watching fade street?

The accent is starting to grate alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

She sounds like the girl on newstalk before Ivan Yates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement