Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This is unreal, going to loose Labour lots of votes.

Absolutely Jonjo, cant believe she is attracting MORE attention to that show.. This will only encourage more people to view her hysteric, irrational and absurd performance.. This serves only to compound the damage that's she's already caused to the party ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mr D and I have just finished watching (again) last Monday night's VB show which Joan Burton appeared on. I believe that there is absolutely no evidence of sexist bullying in the programme.

Vincent has an aggressive style of questioning, which he has become know for, you only have to ask Conor Lenihan and Dan Boyle and they can confirm that. It is also the reason that many have avoided appearing on his show (i.e Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore and Brian Cowen).

I think that someone in Labour feels that there is an appetite for or sympathy to be gained from turning this into a sexist/bullying scandal so it detracts from Joan's appalling performance. I believe that they have made a poor call here and it could cost them votes.

I really hope Vinny B deals with these accusations head on during Monday night's programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Absolutely Jonjo, cant believe she is attracting MORE attention to that show.. This will only encourage more people to view her hysteric, irrational and absurd performance.. This serves only to compound the damage that's she's already caused to the party ..

Totally agree,

Even if anyone thinks Vincent Browne was sexist (and frankly I can't see how he was ) - Joan Burton performed very badly on the show.

If she is meeting the IMF as Minister for Finance and feels aggrieved at her treatment, she has shown that she is liable to lose her temper and act in a bizarre mannner.

She has nothing to gain from bringing this story back and everything to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

well i'm just glad that someone is doing well out of the whole thing!!

Don't harangue Joan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aggresso

SkidMark wrote: »
    Totally agree,

Even if anyone thinks Vincent Browne was sexist (and frankly I can't see how he was ) - Joan Burton performed very badly on the show.

If she is meeting the IMF as Minister for Finance and feels aggrieved at her treatment, she has shown that she is liable to lose her temper and act in a bizarre mannner.

She has nothing to gain from bringing this story back and everything to lose.

I think this may be setting down a marker to get VB to behave fairly with Labour in general.

This'll embarrass him at least as much as it might the Labour campaign. For quite some time he's had it in for Labour -- quite inexplicably far in excess of any distaste for FG. You can see it in his many newspaper articles for the many different papers he writes for as much as on his show.

Besides, while I don't expect anyone to believe it, Joan is quite right. VB is certainly a bully, and shows all the signs of sexism in his approach. Ignoring his treatment of Joan, for example, the bias in favour of young, better than average looking female commentators is palpable.

He's no Berlusconi but shows some essential signs under his faux-left protestations.

By the way, it's worth noting and contrasting how he treated Joan with how he dealt with Coveney (wise enough and lucky enough to stay out of the argument) and Higgins (whose nonsense got an entirely free run).

Having said all that (and I never thought I'd anything even remotely like this) Joan could take a leaf out of Martin Mansergh's book when dealing with Vincent Browne's browbeating (which, in Mansergh's case, cannot be ascribed to sexism).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,980 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

delaad wrote: »
    Cormac O'Hara has been running the Late Debate this year.....pretty well into the ground.

Ooop's, its been a while since i listend to that show, i knew Rachel was doing some stints on morning Ireland and at the weekends, Apologies!

Who the heck is Cormac O Hara, never heard of him which i gues sums up RTE's general line up. I reckon they are finally regretting ever letting Vinny move to TV3!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Ooop's, its been a while since i listend to that show, i knew Rachel was doing some stints on morning Ireland and at the weekends, Apologies!

Who the heck is Cormac O Hara, never heard of him which i gues sums up RTE's general line up. I reckon they are finally regretting ever letting Vinny move to TV3!
    O'Hara has been replaced on the Late Debate for the duration of the election campaign. I wonder why!

aggresso wrote: »
    I think this may be setting down a marker to get VB to behave fairly with Labour in general.

This'll embarrass him at least as much as it might the Labour campaign. For quite some time he's had it in for Labour -- quite inexplicably far in excess of any distaste for FG. You can see it in his many newspaper articles for the many different papers he writes for as much as on his show.

Besides, while I don't expect anyone to believe it, Joan is quite right. VB is certainly a bully, and shows all the signs of sexism in his approach. Ignoring his treatment of Joan, for example, the bias in favour of young, better than average looking female commentators is palpable.

He's no Berlusconi but shows some essential signs under his faux-left protestations.

By the way, it's worth noting and contrasting how he treated Joan with how he dealt with Coveney (wise enough and lucky enough to stay out of the argument) and Higgins (whose nonsense got an entirely free run).

Having said all that (and I never thought I'd anything even remotely like this) Joan could take a leaf out of Martin Mansergh's book when dealing with Vincent Browne's browbeating (which, in Mansergh's case, cannot be ascribed to sexism).

i think it's fair to say the reason he dealt with simon coveney differently, was because simon coveney wasn't acting like a tit. if you have a look at the video of where joan burton is pushing joe higgins on what she should refer to him as, she gives a little smile at the end of a person who knows they're acting the cock. she was petulant, and deserved what she got.

if you check out the clip of the pro-israel guy that was on a few months ago on youtube, he was acting in the same manner, constantly butting in and not letting anyone else have a say, he got similar treatment to joan burton, unfortunately she wasn't kicked off the show.

i think it's fair to say the reason he dealt with simon coveney differently, was because simon coveney wasn't acting like a tit. if you have a look at the video of where joan burton is pushing joe higgins on what she should refer to him as, she gives a little smile at the end of a person who knows they're acting the cock. she was petulant, and deserved what she got.

if you check out the clip of the pro-israel guy that was on a few months ago on youtube, he was acting in the same manner, constantly butting in and not letting anyone else have a say, he got similar treatment to joan burton, unfortunately she wasn't kicked off the show.

Your account is accurate but incomplete. She allowed herself to become petulant after some pretty heavy provocation from Browne.

Your account is accurate but incomplete. She allowed herself to become petulant after some pretty heavy provocation from Browne.

he was doing his usual 'answer the question'. the ráiméis she came out with when the transcript from the late late was read to her was just filling her grave, never mind digging it.
    he was right to pull her up on that, especially when she challenged him to get the transcript herself. she probably thought tv3 wouldn't be bothered stretching themselves that far.

• Advertisement

he was doing his usual 'answer the question'. the ráiméis she came out with when the transcript from the late late was read to her was just filling her grave, never mind digging it.
    he was right to pull her up on that, especially when she challenged him to get the transcript herself. she probably thought tv3 wouldn't be bothered stretching themselves that far.
    He was wrong about the Gilmore tape, in fact.

He was wrong about the Gilmore tape, in fact.

how? he read the transcript of what was said. are you saying the transcript was wrong?

how? he read the transcript of what was said. are you saying the transcript was wrong?
    No. I'm saying he was overinterpreting it.

Gilmore was not as clear as he should have been, but he certainly wasn't confirming that he wouldn't reverse any changes at all. He was refusing to promise to reverse any of the changes, imo.

In Joan's opinion too -- or so it seems.

Listen to the second part of Gilmore's reply for context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

i would be amazed if Joan Burton actually said this - The Sunday Mail have a habit of "interviewing" people without actually speaking to them.

showit wrote: »
    i would be amazed if Joan Burton actually said this - The Sunday Mail have a habit of "interviewing" people without actually speaking to them.
    Apparently she answered a leading question (presumably something like "Was VB behaving in a sexist manner?) with something like "Yes, he was, it was verging on that".
    Edit:
    http://www.politics.ie/media/150087-joan-burton-vincent-sexist-bully-mail-sunday-27.html#post3468163This became the savage attack. So I'm told on p.ie.

However, this didn't stop the ever hardworking and professional Marian Finnucane from going through her for a short cut in her programme around midday today.

And some (mostly Fianna Fáilers) say I'm paranoid about RTÉ bias!

Hi Guys, I have already expressed my views about Joan Burton's performance last Monday night. However, two things trouble me about today's Irish Mail, the first is that their headline states "Vincent is a sexist bully", having read the piece, I can't see where Joan actually makes this statement. She said he was verging on it. (Which I personally think is crap having watched the show twice) Secondly, it appears that the Irish Mail didn't contact VinnyB for a comment. What has happened to giving someone the right of reply? Disappointing journalistic standards here.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I have already expressed my views about Joan Burton's performance last Monday night. However, two things trouble me about today's Irish Mail, the first is that their headline states "Vincent is a sexist bully", having read the piece, I can't see where Joan actually makes this statement. She said he was verging on it. (Which I personally think is crap having watched the show twice) Secondly, it appears that the Irish Mail didn't contact VinnyB for a comment. What has happened to giving someone the right of reply? Disappointing journalistic standards here.
    This is the Mail, remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Mr D and I have just finished watching (again) last Monday night's VB show which Joan Burton appeared on. I believe that there is absolutely no evidence of sexist bullying in the programme.

Vincent has an aggressive style of questioning, which he has become know for, you only have to ask Conor Lenihan and Dan Boyle and they can confirm that. It is also the reason that many have avoided appearing on his show (i.e Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore and Brian Cowen).

I think that someone in Labour feels that there is an appetite for or sympathy to be gained from turning this into a sexist/bullying scandal so it detracts from Joan's appalling performance. I believe that they have made a poor call here and it could cost them votes.

I really hope Vinny B deals with these accusations head on during Monday night's programme.
    i agree with you, there was nothing to indicate sexist bullying, joan was very much out of her leage against joe higgins, joe had great patience with joan, she is normally brilliant but on this show she kept losing her grip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Should we try the shinners plan, sure we are screwed anyway whats the worse that can happen.

we should elect Dr. Pepper!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Strikes me as typical bullying behaviour from RTE.

Have tried the same trick with "Sport @ 7" on Radio 1 going up against "Off the Ball" on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Strikes me as typical bullying behaviour from RTE.

Have tried the same trick with "Sport @ 7" on Radio 1 going up against "Off the Ball" on Newstalk.

I made a bit of a mess up mossy by posting the eleventh hr thread here but managed to delete it and set it up as a new thread.

Back to vincent browne - i love the show and hope it continues to do well.

Do ye think that Vinny B is going to respond to the "sexist bully" claims (which appeared on the front page of Irish Mail) tonight?

Jaysus, I hope TV3 don't make him issue an apology....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Do ye think that Vinny B is going to respond to the "sexist bully" claims (which appeared on the front page of Irish Mail) tonight?

Jaysus, I hope TV3 don't make him issue an apology....

I should think he should apoligize, how dare he HARAUNGE Joan, and to all women, men eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::p:D

mossyc123 wrote: »

Yeah and it's nowhere near as good as Off The Ball.. it was hilarious tonight, talking about the ridiculous Liverpool transfers.

BUT, RTE do serious news well.. So this could be a serious competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Yeah and it's nowhere near as good as Off The Ball.. it was hilarious tonight, talking about the ridiculous Liverpool transfers.

BUT, RTE do serious news well.. So this could be a serious competition.

Here, only time will judge that.

The craziest transfer today was €50 million for that sulky, out of form traitor Torres who's lost that yard of pace with all those injuries and now is pretty ordinary. No prizes for guessing who I support. :o

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the ratings regarding the two shows. The politics.ie forum has a poll on what people will be watching tonight.

When I saw it this morning it was 16% for the eleventh hour. Does that precentage sound familiar to anyone??

Carroll has been involved in many off-the-pitch incidents in his career. On 14 September 2008, Carroll was arrested by police in Newcastle responding to a report that a woman had been assaulted, and later accepted a police caution for assault. On 7 December 2009, he was arrested in the aftermath of a nightclub fight, again in Newcastle, accused of smashing glass in a man's face. He was charged with assault and in October 2010 he pleaded guilty to common assault and was fined £1,000. He was also ordered to pay £2,500 compensation. He was also involved in an incident on the training ground which allegedly left teammate Steven Taylor with a broken jaw though no charges were filed according to police. Carroll reportedly suffered a broken hand in the incident, and he was shortly photographed in a pop concert with bandages to both hands. Then-Newcastle manager Chris Hughton and club representatives declined to comment any further on the incident. On 18 October 2010, Carroll was charged with assaulting a former girlfriend. Claiming self-defence, and having given a local hotel as his address, Carroll was granted bail on the condition that he resides with Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan until the case resumes in January. The charges were later dropped due to lack of evidence. Two days following his bail, Carroll's car was set on fire whilst parked on Nolan's driveway, with the club captain's garage door also being daubed with obscenities.
    telekon wrote: »
    When I saw it this morning it was 16% for the eleventh hour. Does that precentage sound familiar to anyone??

Odds of Andy Carroll NOT getting arrested in 2011?

Odds of Andy Carroll NOT getting arrested in 2011?

No, the odds of Torres not breaking down in his first game cos he's nothing more than a crock with glass knees.

No, the odds of Torres not breaking down in his first game cos he's nothing more than a crock with glass knees.

lol.. bit of the Michael Owen about him alright.. I think both teams are mad.. but I'll leave the football conversation there.. I cant post on the soccer forum :(

have we any idea who's on tonight.. ?>

lol.. bit of the Michael Owen about him alright.. I think both teams are mad.. but I'll leave the football conversation there.. I cant post on the soccer forum :(

have we any idea who's on tonight.. ?>

The only clue we got...

• Advertisement

The only clue we got...

I heard on the TV3 ad break that they are starting off the first of the party debates tonight.. They will have representatives from all the parties.. And while the ad showed the party leaders, I think we can expect the usual suspects..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement