Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

well, i hear the wife snoring - so it's safe to go to bed*. night all.

* he he he. kiddin

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

imme wrote: »
    Some rich guy (maybe not so much anymore) is pissed off with his debts being taken away from him, then goes to the law.

Interim management team took the decision, then NAMA was legislated for. Isn't that the reasoning of the court. Sounds like the guy would have taken a case on any grounds he could. He must love Anglo, who he owed the money to.
    Basically what's happened is that McKillen's assets continue to generate income through rents, more than covering the various loan repayments associated with them. By moving them into NAMA they were to be sold at the low end of the valuation cycle thus creating a loss which NAMA would then come after McKillen for the balance of.

So basically, NAMA is trying to take good investments, liquidate them at a loss and hold McKillen liable for the shortfall. It's insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

great vinny is on tonight!!
    he said last night he has a special interview monday night with joan burton but he was laughing a bit at the time. wonder would it be a skit of some sort??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Shad up and let the camera linger on yummy russian - I mean the learned economist from russia, I'm most interested in his comments

I picture you sitting in a fluffy purple dressing gown, half way through a bottle of red wine - purrring at the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TV3 have confirmed that they will be hosting a three way leaders debate next Tuesday at 8pm.

Gilmore and Martin have agreed to participate, no word on Enda Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Would you ffs educate yourself before you spew the bile. Of all the undirected pointless internet hate nonsense....jesus RTE are far from perfect but have you been outside the country?
    Typical...('brought up on free BBC,ITV C4 and still living with mammy inferiority complex') attitude.
    Have you seen the BBC perfect day ads by any chance? All TV stations market themselves....duh!
    What a barmy rant. RTE employee by any chance?:rolleyes:
    I couldn't give a flying f*&k at a rolling doughnut what the BBC do. A public service broadcaster has by definition no interest in commercial activity. If they do they they are contravening EU law. Why do they care how many people watch their barrel-scraping dramas or million a year wafflers? Those programs are already paid for by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The TV3 election debate is scheduled for Tuesday, but all is not well according to Bryan Dobson on the twitter

http://twitter.com/bryansixone
    Fine Gael leader leader Enda Kenny has ruled out participating in "any programme that Vincent Browne has anything to do with".
    Enda Kenny said he hoped the issue of an election Leaders Debate will be "finalised" by this evening
    In relation to the journalist Vincent Browne, Enda Kenny criticised him over comments he had made in regard to suicide
    Anyone know what the suicide comments are about? Is Enda just running scared?

TV3 have confirmed that they will be hosting a three way leaders debate next Tuesday at 8pm.

Gilmore and Martin have agreed to participate, no word on Enda Kenny.

against his will he will have to do it or he will look like a fool, and this is supposed to be our next taoiseach. pathetic. the guy hasnt a clue, browne would eat him alive and he knows it.

Anyone know what the suicide comments are about? Is Enda just running scared?

maybe hes referring to the time brown said enda should go into a dark room with a bottle of whiskey and a loaded gun? he later apologised for this remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I picture you sitting in a fluffy purple dressing gown, half way through a bottle case of red wine - purrring at the tv.

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

TV3 are holding their 3 way debate this Tuesday at 8PM with plans for Vinnie to chair it. However Enda Kenny is refusing to take part unless Vincent has nothing to do with the program. He is using that joke Vinnie made regarding Enda committing suicide, which Vinnie apologized for, as an excuse. This means that Vinnie will probably be shafted and that gossip queen Ursala Hannigan will do it instead. Or worse FG'er Sarah Carey will do it. Michael Martin said Enda should not fear Vincent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Complaint made by: Ms. Rachel Wright on behalf of Headline Ref. No. 395/10

Station: Programme: Date:
    TV3 Tonight with Vincent Browne 30 September 2010

Complaint Summary:
    Ms. Wright’s complaint, on behalf of Headline, is submitted under the Broadcasting Act 2009, section 48(1)(b)(harm & offence: Code of Programme Standards – sections 2.1 general community standards and 2.2 due care). The complainant states that the presenter, Mr. Vincent Browne suggested that the Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, should go into a dark room with a gun and a bottle of whiskey. His comments suggest that Mr. Kenny should end his life. Ms. Wright claims that Mr. Browne’s comments were extremely insensitive and likely to cause harm and distress to those whose lives have been affected by suicide.

Station’s Response:
    TV3 have investigated the comment and would like to point out that it was stated in a clearly flippant and glib manner and that Mr. Browne is in no way an advocate of suicide. Nevertheless, TV3 understands that this comment could have been viewed as offensive and could cause upset to people whose lives have been affected by suicide. As such, Mr. Browne offered a full and unreserved apology to viewers for any distress caused and to Mr. Kenny and his family. He took the further measure of writing personally to Mr. Kenny to express regret for the remark.

TV3 feels that while the comments may have been careless and imprudent, Mr. Browne’s apology was sincere and frank and as such they feel that the matter has been dealt with in the most positive and direct fashion possible.

TV3 regrets that Headline believed it necessary to complain about Tonight with Vincent Browne. It is their intention to provide interesting and informative programming to its viewers with this service.

Decision of the Compliance Committee:
    The Committee has considered the broadcast, the submissions made by the complainant and the broadcaster. The complaint concerns a particular comment made by the presenter during a broadcast of the Tonight with Vincent Browne programme, which the complainant asserts was inappropriate and likely to cause harm and distress. In assessing this complaint, the Committee had to have regard to the Code of Programme Standards, which includes an obligation on broadcasters to exercise due care with programme material with which viewers can personally identify with and in particular, suicide. The Committee also had to have regard to the subsequent broadcast of the programme during which the presenter offered an apology for the comment in the previous programme, which is the basis of this complaint.

On viewing the broadcast, the Committee noted that the discussion for the majority of the programme concerned the bail out of the Irish banks. In the closing few minutes, the presenter posed a question regarding the results of an MRBI Poll and in particular, the performance of the Fine Gael leader. One of the panel members expressed her views and the presenter then asked should he resign. The Committee noted that this question was asked in the language on which this complaint is based.

The Committee was also cognisant that the programme is live-to-air. While the broadcaster has acknowledged the inappropriateness of the language in its submission, it was evident that the intended use of the language by the presenter was as a political metaphor. Nevertheless, programming standards require that broadcasters exercise particular care with material referring to suicide.

The Committee notes that the broadcaster, in its submission to the complaint, accepts the inappropriateness of the language used in the particular question and has expressed regret to the complainant and further, broadcast an apology during a subsequent broadcast of the programme. On foot of the actions of the broadcaster coupled with the context in which the language was used, while inappropriate, the Committee considered the complaint resolved. The swift action taken by the broadcaster sufficiently remedied the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Shane10 wrote: »
    against his will he will have to do it or he will look like a fool, and this is supposed to be our next taoiseach. pathetic. the guy hasnt a clue, browne would eat him alive and he knows it.

I don't know its a fairly complicated situation between Browne's previous attempts to run for FG and then the suicide comment, even if he apologised for it its not something a person would forgive easily. Plus imo Martin and Gilmore need this leader debate more than Enda, especially since he'll almost 100% participate in any RTE leadership debates. If he could finalise when those RTE debates will be he might bring the importance of the TV3 debate into question.

maybe hes referring to the time brown said enda should go into a dark room with a bottle of whiskey and a loaded gun? he later apologised for this remark.

Yeah, I think you're right. There was a complaint to The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland

http://www.bai.ie/compliance%20decisions/39510_tv3_tonightwithVB_aob.doc
    Mr. Vincent Browne suggested that the Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, should go into a dark room with a gun and a bottle of whiskey. His comments suggest that Mr. Kenny should end his life. Ms. Wright claims that Mr. Browne’s comments were extremely insensitive and likely to cause harm and distress to those whose lives have been affected by suicide.
    Not Vinny's finest hour but I think Enda Kenny should get over it. It was a stupid comment but he got an apology.

no way will TV3 shaft vinny IMO, i reckon they will go ahead even if kenny chickens out. vinny will make the debate. if that ursela one is doing it i wont be tuning in, does me head in bigtime.

no way will TV3 shaft vinny IMO, i reckon they will go ahead even if kenny chickens out. vinny will make the debate. if that ursela one is doing it i wont be tuning in, does me head in bigtime.

Well Vincent has stated that if Kenny doesn't show they will leave an empty chair for him symbolising his non-participation.

Well Vincent has stated that if Kenny doesn't show they will leave an empty chair for him symbolising his non-participation.

ya heard him say that, vinny is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Tbh this is more about Vinny promoting himself more than anything else. If it wasn't then Vinny would be making a stink about Kenny not doing any debate or running away from answering questions about specific issues.
    What Vinny is making the stink about is Kenny refusing to appear on his program.
    I find Vinnie's programs great, entertaining and he seems to be the sole interviewer that can put his guests under pressure but I don't feel I learn much from them.
    In this "democracy" we only get to vaguely influence things once every five years. I really don't want that opportunity to be taken up with broadcaster's egos and TV stations trying to win ratings wars.
    This (largely irrelevant) issue of tv debates will dominate the campaign and the only losers will be the voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The complainant states that the presenter, Mr. Vincent Browne suggested that the Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, should go into a dark room with a gun and a bottle of whiskey

I thought this was funny when Vincent said it.. he did NOT use the word suicide and what he an OBVIOUS metaphor for Enda Kenny standing down as leader... the same as saying "is it not time for him to fall on his own sword" or any of those other war-themed metaphors...

Ms Rachel Wright, who is probably a retired civil servant living with her cats in Foxrock, has nothing better to do....

Here's the apology..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I thought this was funny when Vincent said it.. he did NOT use the word suicide and what he an OBVIOUS metaphor for Enda Kenny standing down as leader... the same as saying "is it not time for him to fall on his own sword" or any of those other war-themed metaphors...

Ms Rachel Wright, who is probably a retired civil servant living with her cats in Foxrock, has nothing better to do....
    Personally, I think there is nothing funny about suicide or suggesting that someone should go into a dark room with a gun and a bottle of whiskey. However, Vincent is never afraid to apologise and that is something that I really admire about him. Unlike others who grudgingly issue statements of regret but never have the guts to admit when they have f**ked up.

• Advertisement

This is just cowardice - Enda Kenny is afraid of being shown up by VB particularly on economic matters and his Dail record or lack of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

8ArOO.jpg

Lol vincent is the original troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Vincent Browne is a legend. he always reminds me of an old granny sitting by the fire knitting a jumper, and someone stands on her toe.

He makes Jeremy Paxman look like a presenter for Songs of Praise.

TV3 is considering using a different presenter for the debates - Today FM - Alan Cantwell or Ursula.

VB is going to be on Newstalk shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Enda, Enda, Enda, what are you doing??

I honestly think he'll do a fine job as taoiseach, manager of the team and all that. But he's handling this VERY badly.

He was fine when he went up against Bertie in 2007 and on Newstalk the other morning. But he must be starting to believe his own critics...and possibly even members of his own party. :(

TV3 is considering using a different presenter for the debates - Today FM - Alan Cantwell or Ursula.

Cassie must be washing her hair that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

George Hook will present the debate?!? Thats what he's suggesting...newstalk now.

He would be the least impartial host ever with his FG connections. :eek:

Maybe he said it in jest???

Edit: ok, it was in jest. Well done George, you got me there...

bit of an anti-climax. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I really hope that TV3 dont bow to political will on this.
    God knows theres enough FF merchants calling the shots in tv and radio as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I think that Enda is using the remarks made by Vincent as an excuse to get out of appearing on the show. Vincent extended a number of invitations to Enda to appear on his programme long before this current controversy and Enda always declined

If Enda hasn't the guts to appear on the programme, I feel he doesn't deserve to be Taoiseach. Vincent has apologised and the complaints commission have not upheld the complaint so it is time to move on IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement