Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Here's VB's apology last October - I'm highlighting that because Enda has not mentioned this at all since. Anyway VB's apology is sincere IMO and the issue was over after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2z0vMjeCU&playnext=1&list=PL673F88BD449D262D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Enda Kenny is a joke of a leader. How people can vote for his party is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This could turn out to be a public relations disaster for FG if they don't sort this out very soon. Instead of Enda running away from Vincent, he should be welcoming the challenge. This election if for FG to loose and if Enda and his advisors don't get their act together it could cost them. It could mean the difference between getting an overall majority or having to negotiate with Labour.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    This could turn out to be a public relations disaster for FG if they don't sort this out very soon. Instead of Enda running away from Vincent, he should be welcoming the challenge. This election if for FG to loose and if Enda and his advisors don't get their act together it could cost them. It could mean the difference between getting an overall majority or having to negotiate with Labour.

I hope TV3 just goes ahead with the debate without Kenny.

I think Gilmore stands to gain most from this - Gilmore for Taoiseach and all that.

I hope TV3 just goes ahead with the debate without Kenny.

I think Gilmore stands to gain most from this - Gilmore for Taoiseach and all that.
    I totally agree. Micheál Martin is saying all the right things too. (i.e that it is not appropriate for politicians to be dictating who presents debates etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

i wonder will vincent refer to this in tonight's show?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    i wonder will vincent refer to this in tonight's show?

It will be difficult not to. It's on tonight at 11.25 by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

If Hook is presenting, I ain't watching.
    If Enda just made a laugh of it then the general public would most likely just share the joke and move on. Just shows he's another Burton type humourless media disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

If Enda can't handle VB he shouldn't be running for Taoiseach.

He is definitely using it as an excuse.

I for one wont vote Fine Gael if he is supposed to be their leader.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    If Hook is presenting, I ain't watching.
    If Enda just made a laugh of it then the general public would most likely just share the joke and move on. Just shows he's another Burton type humourless media disaster.
    Dan - I feel that it is understandable that Enda was upset initially by Vincent's remarks but Vincent apologised and IMO Enda should be gracious and man enough to accept the apology and move on. If he becomes Taoiseach he is going to have to deal with more serious challenges than appearing on the VB Show.

• Advertisement

Didn't the invisible man routine work with that other Mayoite Cooper-Flynn? Didn't stop anybody voting for her...
    What's really pathetic is sending Bruton out to handle TV gigs while Enda sits at home crying and peeing his pants. I really hope this gives Labour and SF a boost at FG's expense!

Dan - I feel that it is understandable that Enda was upset initially by Vincent's remarks but Vincent apologised and IMO Enda should be gracious and man enough to accept the apology and move on. If he becomes Taoiseach he is going to have to deal with more serious challenges than appearing on the VB Show.

Well maybe "making a laugh of it" is too much, but Enda should be man enough to put it under the bridge. Joe Voter might even start to think VB touched some sort of sore point if he's carries this on much longer. PR nightmare for FG yet again.

I picture you sitting in a fluffy purple dressing gown, half way through a bottle of red wine - purrring at the tv.
    :eek:
    Things aren't quite that bad....yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Well maybe "making a laugh of it" is too much, but Enda should be man enough to put it under the bridge. Joe Voter might even start to think VB touched some sort of sore point if he's carries this on much longer. PR nightmare for FG yet again.
    I'd have more respect for the man if he did make a laugh of it tbh, this sort of comment is par for the course in politics. Getting in a huff over what was a comment made in jest just reinforces my personal view that Enda is a officious little twerp who isn't suitable for the big desk. This is the man who is supposed to fight our corner against vested interests and the big boys in Europe, if he is too spineless to take on a TV presenter then he will be nothing but a hindrance to this country when/if he assumes power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

just heard Enda's comment re; vinny remarks bout the whiskey bottle etc.

tut tut - utterly over the top stuff from Mssr Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I totally agree. Micheál Martin is saying all the right things too. (i.e that it is not appropriate for politicians to be dictating who presents debates etc).

But didnt Micheál Martin try to dictate which leaders should take part in the debate..he only wanted FF FG and Labour.

Even David Davin-Power on rte is sayin Kenny is out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

This is great ol' publicity for Vinnie and TV3 all the same...

DT100 wrote: »
    But didnt Micheál Martin try to dictate which leaders should take part in the debate..he only wanted FF FG and Labour.
    I agree with you, but FG are not handling the current situation very well and Micheal Martin is taking full advantage of the opportunity, making Enda look like a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I agree with you, but FG are not handling the current situation very well and Micheal Martin is taking full advantage of the opportunity, making Enda look like a coward.

Its hard to take a man thats so complicit in the ruination of the country seriously at this juncture...but you just watch the electorate lap it up.

FF will get over 30 seats, mark my words. :mad:

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    just heard Enda's comment re; vinny remarks bout the whiskey bottle etc.

tut tut - utterly over the top stuff from Mssr Kenny.
    Awful ham acting, wasn't it?

Enda is 1/20 with Paddy power to be the next taoiseach..God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Vinny, Vinny Vinny you bad boy:D.I like his show and watch it most nights,I like the way he goes after answers like a rottweiller.Now I would not be Endas biggest fan either, but if he did said that it is below the belt.He did apologize on his show and personally according to the nine o clock news.I also think that Enda is behaving like a spoilt child though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

This is the man who is supposed to fight our corner against vested interests and the big boys in Europe, if he is too spineless to take on a TV presenter then he will be nothing but a hindrance to this country when/if he assumes power.
    On the other hand if he's too spineless to stand up to a TV presenter on one of the smaller tv stations in Ireland then what hope has he of standing up to "the big boys in Europe"?
    Kenny is in a no-win situation on this no matter what he decides to do.

The TV debates remain irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. We're not going to hear anything at these "debates" that we haven't heard a hundred times before and they're not going to advance our recovery as a nation by one iota.
    Does anyone remember the last debate? No? Didn't think so.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    On the other hand if he's too spineless to stand up to a TV presenter on one of the smaller tv stations in Ireland then what hope has he of standing up to "the big boys in Europe"?

The TV debates remain irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. We're not going to hear anything at these "debates" that we haven't heard a hundred times before and they're not going to advance our recovery as a nation by one iota.
    Well not turning up will be remembered...

he has to if the others turn up. he'll have no choice. silly boy.

This is a valid point. In 2007, commentators at the time reckoned that Enda Kenny won the debate after putting in a solid performance but we all know that Bertie stole the show when it came to election results.

Was it in the last debate that Pat Rabbit told one party leader, that he was acting like a menopausal Paris Hilton.....And Gerry Adams hadnt a clue when it came to the finances or the economy?

Was it in the last debate that Pat Rabbit told one party leader, that he was acting like a menopausal Paris Hilton.....And Gerry Adams hadnt a clue when it came to the finances or the economy?
    Yes that is correct, goes to show that people do remember somethings about these debates. I think it was Michael McDowell that Pat directed the Paris Hilton comment to :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Indeed, perhaps I should have asked do you recall anything of substance in the previous debates and/or anything that made an impact on decisions taken over the following 3-4 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

How someone conducts themselves in a debate can win or lose a shedload of votes. While not a debate as such how much stick has moany Joan Burton come in for after her woeful performance on VB last week, her attitude and comments really turned potential voters off her.

Another notable TV debate that severely hurt a candidate was the Bush/Gore match up where Gore came across as a bit of a bully who was cut down to size by a single nod of Bushes head.

The big daddy of the all has to be Kennedy Vs Nixon, that debate was a major factor in the defeat of Nixon and a prime example of how appearances and the public perception of a candidate can make or break a campaign.

Perhaps Enda should remember that before he starts throwing a wobbler, TV is the primary medium through which politicians get their message across and any snub or infantile spat he has with a (highly popular) TV presenter will only end badly for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement