Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic web questions

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, I have a few very basic questions. I have no idea about web design or web hosting but I am helping someone to start a new business venture. It is just a small local business but would probably help to have a website. How does it all work. A friend has offered to put a site together if we supply the information and requirements.

So I have searched and the domain name desired is available in all categories, .ie, .com, .info, .net etc. Which is best to go for? Does it matter? The domains names are only about €20 for 3 yrs, but is that aonce offpayment or a recurring charge? How do you keep your site at the top of searches? Is this where web hosting comes in? How much does that cost?

Can an individual have an .ie domain name or do they have to be a company?

My friend is looking for something basic with about 3-4 pages with information only. No billing or order facility.

Any advice would be great. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

For a business within Ireland .ie is the one to go after. About it mattering, in my experience no but I've haven't that much exp. As for the payment, I not sure but I'd say it is a recurring charge.

To keep your site at the top of searches requires time. But there are a number of things you can do to help search engines, visit http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/?hl=en and there is a PDF called Search Engine Optimization which you should read. The web hosting doesn't have anything to do with it.

Both individuals and companies can have a .ie however if you are getting your name you have to be an Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

anamcarame wrote: »
    Hi, I have a few very basic questions. I have no idea about web design or web hosting but I am helping someone to start a new business venture. It is just a small local business but would probably help to have a website. How does it all work. A friend has offered to put a site together if we supply the information and requirements.

So I have searched and the domain name desired is available in all categories, .ie, .com, .info, .net etc. Which is best to go for? Does it matter? The domains names are only about €20 for 3 yrs, but is that aonce offpayment or a recurring charge? How do you keep your site at the top of searches? Is this where web hosting comes in? How much does that cost?

Can an individual have an .ie domain name or do they have to be a company?

My friend is looking for something basic with about 3-4 pages with information only. No billing or order facility.

Any advice would be great. thanks

To register an ie domain name you need to either have that business name registered. If the domain name is your name, or part of your name you need to submit a copy of your passport. This type of protection ensures the integrity of the websites using .ie but it means its more expensive.

I'm not sure if you'll benefit from having an .ie name, but if you can do so at a reasonable price then why not?

As for the reoccuring charges, you can turn them off in your billing control panel so dont worry about it.

Getting your website ranked high up in googles search results is an art in itself. You will need to read up on it and work on it over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gracy

One bit of advice i would give is to do as much research as possible.checkout competitors,read posts,check how to rank well.when we initially set up our site i knew nothing about search engines,page rank etc.i paid about 1000 euro for a site that looked ok but didnt really bring in any business.A lot of people set up a website because its a fashionable thing to do and because its nice to have one.If u want it to generate business it will involve a financial cost to get the look,feel and navigation right and a time cost in researching the best way to achieve that.
    I am working with a web designer in setting up a fashion website and ive spent a lot of time on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

gracy wrote: »
    One bit of advice i would give is to do as much research as possible.checkout competitors,read posts,check how to rank well.when we initially set up our site i knew nothing about search engines,page rank etc.i paid about 1000 euro for a site that looked ok but didnt really bring in any business.A lot of people set up a website because its a fashionable thing to do and because its nice to have one.If u want it to generate business it will involve a financial cost to get the look,feel and navigation right and a time cost in researching the best way to achieve that.
    I am working with a web designer in setting up a fashion website and ive spent a lot of time on it

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

thanks for all the comments

• Advertisement
Advertisement