Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Talent Presents...Guitar

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

This caught my eye on my travels , couldnt find much else about it so can't really say yay or nay to it but it seems a good idea.

http://www.betanews.com/article/The-next-entry-in-the-Guitar-Hero-genre-promises-to-teach-real-guitar/1263414648
    Video games that are popular among kids sometimes get an unfortunate makeover into educational software, and while not all conversions result in terrible rip-offs, there have been a number of exceptionally bad action-to-educational conversions. Some examples that come to mind are Sega's zombie shooting game House of the Dead, which was mashed up into a typing tutor; and Nintendo's I am a Teacher: Super Mario Sweater, which turned a kid's Famicom into a textile design machine with the aid of the company's mustachioed mascot.

But certain types of games are instructional without being aggressively labeled as such, and have been teaching kids for the last few years. Music simulators such as Rock Band and Guitar Hero, for example, have helped many kids become proficient drummers before they're even enrolled in primary school.

Those games, which require the player to hit color-coded buttons on miniature guitar-shaped controllers or beat on stripped-down drum controllers, have been improving kids' rhythm, but have done nothing to help them with scales -- another fundamental part of music.

Several software companies have attempted to take the Guitar Hero model and apply it to real guitars over the last few years, but most have not even made it to retail.

At CES last week, I was approached by a young guy in sunglasses and leather jacket, who is part of a software startup guerilla marketing its own real life Guitar Hero. Like the other versions of the same game concept, his software, tentatively called "Raw Talent Presents...Guitar," uses a USB interface to read input from an actual guitar.

The user plays along to pre-recorded tracks of popular songs, and the software then evaluates the performance, and generates a score for everything from single-note runs to intermediate chord progressions.

The unique part of the software is Raw Talent Inc.'s proprietary "Real Time Performance" Engine, which provides live feedback on the user's performance and then generates a ranking at the end of the song, which corresponds with individual technique lessons.

Anticipating a Spring '10 release for the software, Raw Talent Inc. said it will be releasing its software in beta a little later this year. We'll see how close this one comes to Rock stardom in a software field that has thus far been limited to "indie" success.

Edit: What ever happened to this one http://www.guitarrising.com/index.html

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This has been tried before, with Guitar Rising, which looked pretty awesome, but either never took off properly of was in fact a joke (a fact that I'm only considering as I type now). It would be pretty awesome, rhythm is where I excel, scales, nnnnnnnnot so much :o

EDIT: Ninja'd! Damn you Calex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lol yeah Guitar rising came back to me after I'd finished :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

LAst time I checked on it, LittleBigStar had already done this (about 9 months ago or so) - they went so far as to use scales to control a paddle so you could battle another guitarist in Pong where only the fastest fingers survived. You could rotate the fretboard for a side-to side tab style scroll or a Guitar Hero-esque coming-out-of-the-screen vertical road. No customisable characters dancing round the screen though :)

It definitely worked, I grabbed a couple of example scales to test it, but I never persisted 'cause I couldn't be arsed ripping tracks from CDs, finding complete tabulature and then synching the two of them up.

I seem to recall Disney had a working one about a year ago where you had to string your guitar with 6 coloured strings (not sure if that was a functional requirement or a visual aid)

Edit : Looks like LBS was so successful it died....
    http://littlebigstar.net/main/
    But if you check the forum, the last beta (from early last year) is still there, including their music-controlled Pac Man and Tetris :D If anyone has the patience to synch tab to tunes, I'll give them 4 internets for an FTP link!

Advertisement