Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Newbridge Silverware

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey everyone, I'll try keep this as short as I can!

Several months back, I bought a Newbridge Silverware Necklace for €70, which is a lot of money to me as I am unemployed.

I bought it in a Newbridge stockist jewelers.

2 months on (by which time my receipt was gone), the necklace, which was advertised as 100% sterling silver (not silver plated or anything) had turned to brass.

I rang Newbridge's Customer services and was told that I should return it to the shop. When I explained that I no longer had the receipt, but had the original packaging and lilttle leaflet thing you get with each piece of jewelry, they said to send it back to their place in Newbridge and they'd "sort it out." I spent a tenner posting it back to them to have it insured and tracked, and they received it the next day.

3 weeks later, no word. I rang them three times and when I finally got through, I was told that I would be called back as all customer service reps were busy. Having not heard back the next day, I called again, to be informed that they received the necklace and would "fix" it for a charge of nearly €20.

How the heck can you "fix" brass to make it sterling silver?! I asked this, and the woman (who refused to give me her name) told me that she'd post it back to me if I wasn't happy to pay.

I sent them an email complaining, and received no response. I called again and the phone was hung up.

I emailed twice more, only to find that my email was BLOCKED, so neither got through to them.

This was several months ago, and I'm still trying to get through to them. What should I do?

Surely this goes agains the sale of goods and supply of services act, as it was false advertisement (not real silver, when advertised as such)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

A call to The Liveline usually puts the slids under companies that don't take care of their customers....

It's a pity that they don't want to be helpful... Good customer care is a very good investment... Particularly in the present economic climate...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

none of the newbridge items are sterling silver from my experience,they will probably only replate it & it will discolour again,while newbridge looks great,your only paying for it's name & it's durability is very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ThePlank

"none of the newbridge items are sterling silver from my experience,they will probably only replate it & it will discolour again,while newbridge looks great,your only paying for it's name & it's durability is very poor"

I've got more than ten other pieces by them that have all lasted and still look great :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The missus likes Newbridge stuff, but when i went to my nearest jewellers they said they dont stock it as its not sterling silver and so it gives more problems than normal jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I worked in a store that stocked Newbridge. True is is only suitable for occasional wear as the coating can be scratched off. Also I often heard perfume being blamed for discoloration.

Like the OP we would return items for repair which took 2 weeks, but if we got no joy we would get on to our rep who would usually credit us, so we could refund the customer.

OP I suggest you get you neck lace sent back to you, try find any type of proof of purchase and go back to the store. Can't hurt.

Did a member of staff tell you it was sterling silver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ThePlank wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'll try keep this as short as I can!

Several months back, I bought a Newbridge Silverware Necklace for €70, which is a lot of money to me as I am unemployed.

I bought it in a Newbridge stockist jewelers.

2 months on (by which time my receipt was gone), the necklace, which was advertised as 100% sterling silver (not silver plated or anything) had turned to brass.

I rang Newbridge's Customer services and was told that I should return it to the shop. When I explained that I no longer had the receipt, but had the original packaging and lilttle leaflet thing you get with each piece of jewelry, they said to send it back to their place in Newbridge and they'd "sort it out." I spent a tenner posting it back to them to have it insured and tracked, and they received it the next day.

3 weeks later, no word. I rang them three times and when I finally got through, I was told that I would be called back as all customer service reps were busy. Having not heard back the next day, I called again, to be informed that they received the necklace and would "fix" it for a charge of nearly €20.

How the heck can you "fix" brass to make it sterling silver?! I asked this, and the woman (who refused to give me her name) told me that she'd post it back to me if I wasn't happy to pay.

I sent them an email complaining, and received no response. I called again and the phone was hung up.

I emailed twice more, only to find that my email was BLOCKED, so neither got through to them.

This was several months ago, and I'm still trying to get through to them. What should I do?

Surely this goes agains the sale of goods and supply of services act, as it was false advertisement (not real silver, when advertised as such)?

Your rights under the Sale of Goods act only extend to the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Under the Sale of Goods Act all items sold must be fit for purpose, as described and be of merchantable quality. It sounds as if your necklace does not fulfill two of these conditions.

Did you pay for it using a credit card or laser card ? If you did and could find the transaction in your banking history this would count as proof of purchase.If you don't have this then it's very difficult/impossible to pursue this any further with the shop.

If you do find some form of proof of purchase then have your necklace returned to you.Visit the shop that you bought it in and see if you can find any evidence that they are advertising Newbridge Silver as being 100% sterling silver, ie a leaflet or a sign you could photograph. If you had both of these things you'd have a pretty good case to take to the Small Claims Court. If you just have proof of purchase alone then I think you'd still have a good case as 2 months is, in my opinion, an unreasonably short period to expect an expensive necklace to last for.

If you can't find proof of purchase than ring Newbridge and tell them that you write a popular fashion blog and that you'll be featuring their disappointing quality and poor service and will be going out of your way to make it known online. If they have any sense they will offer you something as a gesture for your trouble.

Personally I always thought Newbridge Silver was high quality. I'm quite disgusted to think I've spent money on it for presents for people in the belief that it was superior in quality to other similar necklaces and bracelets.I definitely won't do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 poorlady

ME MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS HAVE SEVERAL NEWBRIDGE BANGLES (sorry caps was on) and all turned to brass,never buying it again

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

I used to think Newbridge silver was lovely for occasional wear and would buy friends pieces for special birthdays until I visited the factory in Newbridge for a college trip and saw how the jewellery was actually made. Granted, it is all handmade but it's just plated brass. It really really disappointed me and I have never bought their stuff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MarieClaire78

Omg, Newbridge dont sound too committed to the customer experience from what you've all said. I've just made a complaint to them about a canteen of "stainless steel" cultery that is now far from stainless- will keep ye posted and we'll see if they've improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was looking at a piece and was thinking of treating myself. I am glad I read this thread in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

This is so disappointing as I too have bought Newbridge gifts for people - never again! I blamed myself for a tealight holder that had tarnished, thinking I shouldn't have used it in a bathroom. The stuff is expensive enough to be real silver and it seems it's all hype :(
    At the very least, you'd expecet better customer service. Poor decision on their part now that it's on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've got Newbridge stuff - couple of photo frames and the obligatory canteen of cutlery when we got married. I've not used the cutlery yet, but I have a mother-of-pearl and silver frame which I've had for a few years now, and I have to say it's not tarnished in any way and still looks good.

That said, we went to the Newbridge shop in Cork. The staff in there are beyond rude and ignorant. So we left without buying anything and won't be again for that reason.

OP - I hope you get it sorted soon. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Newbridge jewellery generally isn't sterling silver, never has been, and extra care is required as a result. I've some and I'm very careful with perfume / body creams etc, as I would expect it to tarnish if it came into contact with them, where as with stamped sterling silver jewellery I don't worry about that kind of thing. It's unfortunate what happened with your necklace but if the shop you bought it in advertised it as sterling silver, and you bought it as such, it is them that you need to find a solution with not Newbridge Silverware IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If the shop that sold you the item said it is sterling silver then it is the shop that is at fault NOT newbridge silverware. The item has discoloured due to it being tarnished by perfume or other substance and therefore it is not a manufacturing fault.

Most Newbridge jewellry is well packaged, well designed costume jewellry and is marketed and priced accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Newbridge is certainly NOT sterling silver. That said, we have loads of it and never had a problem with tarnishing in 25 years or more. Their after sales is brilliant as they have replaced watch batteries for us free and reshaped a bracelet that got bent (my OH's fault) with no charge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closing.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement