Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am applying to go back to college and need two referees and dont know who to use?

Where can i get them, who can i use?

I do voluntary work, and thats one of them sorted. Im stuck on the second. I asked my employer and was told it was company policy not to give references. Is this even legal? I know a lad who got one from them?

I did a course years ago but i dont think they'll even remember me. I didn't show my face everyday. I have a couple of written references but the places are either closed now or its been years since i last had contact (they were really summer jobs).

Has anyone ever been in the same place as me? Who can i use? Where can i go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi There, quite bizarre a college would require references. As regards written references, no employer is obliged to give a written reference however they are obliged to confirm your Lent of service etc, normally done verbally. As its an educational institute seeking a ref, have you considered a former teacher or some one in the community, Priest (I know), family solicitor, Local TD. My impression is the college are looking more for a character reference as opposed to work related one.

Good Luck!;)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement