Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Send it tomorrow by registered post. I rang them today and they told me that last year people camped outside from 3am to apply:eek:, and that the post they recieve that morning is mixed with the applications of the people queing. So I'd say you'd wanna send it off tomorrow mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Now looks like I'll have to queue up for it myself...going to be a slow morning Thursday morning. How do you get on the waiting lists for Corrib and Cuirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Just about Corrib village,most of the people there are dead on but you'd swear that most people living there had not been away from mummy and daddy before the way they carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I emailed corrib and they said theyre bookings open in 'About 2 weeks' .

I doubt corrib books up very fast considering its full of first years . . . i'd imagine it would fill up closer to cao time ?

Well, we'll be told by April wheather or not we get into Gort so i'd imagine thats plenty of time to book Corrib incase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Disaster struck Galway this morning.

Went to Gort at 6 to book for next year(mainly just to make sure i got to stay with my friends). Stayed in the freezing cold until about 8.45 then the que started moving. All ok, was handing in 2 applications, my own and my friends. I said id hand in my friends one first, grand. Then I go to hand in mine, "Sorry, we only take bank drafts and cheques, no cash". Did not go down well. The best she could do for me was that if there was still a que when I got back from the bank(which wasnt open 'till 10), I could skip it.
    Didnt know what to do. Said I might as well just go to the bank get the draft and chance it. Waited around AIB til 10, got the draft and got a taxi over. All I could think was how big of a tool I was for not getting the draft in the first place.
    I arrive into reception in Gort anyway worring whether or not Ill get in. But thankfully the girl remembered me, she was lovely! She said they wernt completely booked out but she'd stick my application in beside my friends, DELIGHTED!

If this lady frequents this board, you'll be getting your wine from me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

After reading what people have had to do to get accomidation in gcort, i was wondering if this is the same case with cuirt.
    As i am thinking about applying for accomidation there.??

nobbo wrote: »
    She said they wernt completely booked out but she'd stick my application in beside my friends, DELIGHTED!

Great, so I take it I should be gauranteed a place then, I applied by reg. post yesterday?

Oh and Nobbo, are you the guy doing Financial Maths???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sparklingdude

I've heard rumors of people having to "do things" in order to get into Gort.

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    Great, so I take it I should be gauranteed a place then, I applied by reg. post yesterday?

Nah you will nearly definitly get a place, the only reason I went over that early(wasnt planning on dong it) was because a mates girlfriend rang us and told us there was a savage que. A few lads I know went over at like 11 and still got applications in, and Id say post got there by then. Id say its all hype really, I just wasnt taking a chance when I get a phone call at 5.50 saying if you want Gort you'd better come over now!:D

Yeah Reilly Im doing financial maths..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anamara86

I stayed in Corrib Village in First Year and cannot fault it. First year is all about having fun, and Corrib is certainly the place to do that. Also, its really close to college. Gort is more for 2nd nd 3rd years.

nobbo wrote: »

Yeah Reilly Im doing financial maths..

Cool, not meaning to be off-topic but how are you finding it? Any regrets?

Oh and I rang Gort a few days ago and they told me they mix in the postal applications with the ones in the que so that everyone has a fair chance:confused:

Reillyman wrote: »
    Oh and I rang Gort a few days ago and they told me they mix in the postal applications with the ones in the que so that everyone has a fair chance:confused:

Well the impression I got from the women this morning was that Im guaranteed place with my mates, but better not get my hopes up until its confirmed in March.

Will post in the financial maths thread about the other q..

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

tacitum wrote: »
    Hello there! (: I'm a third year student whom will be studying at NUI Galway in September 2010. I'm currently looking for accomodation that's somewhat in between the University College Hospital or Merlin Hospital. 8D

I've already crossed out Corrib Village because of all the horror stories that have been mentioned in the past, and I'm reconsidering Dun Aras because uh, I've heard of some problems in another forum.

Currently, I'm looking at Gort Na Coiribe, CÚIRT NA COIRIBE, Amrha House & Atlantis Apartments. So em, any recommendations? I would like to find somewhere there's safe honestly and some place that you can meet new friends. <3 I'm open to new ideas actually.

hmm... i would say menlo park apartments. i know its not on your list but :P well actually gort or cuirt either! Theyr all close enough to merlin park which would be handy enough durin placement! And UCHG is within walkin distance of them aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

syncosised wrote: »
    Gort na Coiribe is mostly second and third years. Corrib Village is almost exclusively first years ... kind of tells you all you need to know!

It's also sinking slowly into the Corrib. In another 20 years you'll have a nice set of basement flats.

When I went to UCG, as it was back then, Corrib Village was filled with first years and foreign students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Annasara

Hi everybody!
    I´m a swedish girl going to Galway to study medicine for three months this semester. As everybody else I how know idea where I should stay, the two places I´m choosing btw is corrib and gort. I don´t want to party ALL the time , just a "normal amount", and of course I want to meet a lot of nice people, what do you think is the best place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Annasara wrote: »
    Hi everybody!
    I´m a swedish girl going to Galway to study medicine for three months this semester. As everybody else I how know idea where I should stay, the two places I´m choosing btw is corrib and gort. I don´t want to party ALL the time , just a "normal amount", and of course I want to meet a lot of nice people, what do you think is the best place?

Definitely Gort, Corrib would give you the worst impression of Galway you could get of anywhere. Corrib is horrible, see http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=268503581230&ref=ts for a few pics (and you may have wondered why there are no pics on their site). It's damp, cold and the majority of people are obnoxious tards who stand in the carparks drinking Dutch Gold outside people's windows

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Definitely Gort, Corrib would give you the worst impression of Galway you could get of anywhere. Corrib is horrible, see http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=268503581230&ref=ts for a few pics (and you may have wondered why there are no pics on their site). It's damp, cold and the majority of people are obnoxious tards who stand in the carparks drinking Dutch Gold outside people's windows

Jesus!! :O:O

Some of those Pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Pretty accurate representation dude, even without anyone literally making a mess the place is encrusted in dirt, mould damp and general crap. You should see the state of the walls and floors in the non plastered/carpeted apartments (thats right, plaster does not come as standard). The floors in the normal apartments are literally layered in filth. Then you factor in how much worse it is when you live with slobs.. Yeah, see those pics for more information.

• Advertisement

Annasara wrote: »
    Hi everybody!
    I´m a swedish girl going to Galway to study medicine for three months this semester. As everybody else I how know idea where I should stay?

Yes, you should definitely stay in Gort with me...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Annasara

Damn it, they had a room at Gort like a week ago but I turned that down because a thought corrib was better! I wrote to Gort today, so I hope they still have a room! But I guess they won´t answer until the weekends finished!
    I had Gleaan na Ri as another option, but I realized that it was really for away from city center and campus.. But it was much cheaper though!

Reillyman: So are you staying at Gort now? Like it?

So who here applied for Gort ?

Me

me

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

I really wanted to apply to Gort but i guess it's too late now, i completely forgot. I guess it's Corrib Village for me then :rolleyes:.

MeganM wrote: »
    I really wanted to apply to Gort but i guess it's too late now, i completely forgot. I guess it's Corrib Village for me then :rolleyes:.

I'd say ring Gort anyway
    Try for the waiting list

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

does anyone know anything about the menlo park apartments? i havent heard anything about them like, il be startin as a first year in nuig next year, any opinonios on that place?? thanks!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 UpGalway09

Ya i stayed in menlo for 2 years...great place, apartments are kept really well and because its a smaller complex everyone gets to know each other!You might think its far out compared to Gort or Cuirt but the short cut up Dyke road takes 15 mins same as distance from Gort or Cuirt, good mixture of years which was great cause Corrib village is always full of 1st years! Never any problem getting deposit back either so would definitely recommend it! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

menlos not that far out really! i was there last night and walked to eyre square in 15 minutes!
    I was at my friends place and there was people just walking in when they seen us sitting there (no knock needed) walking on in, its cool :) Defo doesnt happen in amhra.. well.. i walk into one apartment but thats it :P
    defo thinkin menlo!

Advertisement