Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

Cool, thanks lads! sounds good, i sent off an application recently like, its good to hear that its decentplace. Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Snas

Opinions on Cuirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Snas wrote: »
    Opinions on Cuirt?

Nice but small and not as much craic as other residences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 emergencyroom

I want to go to NUIG but thats not for a few years yet. Am I right to presume that flats are not unisex.

I want to go to NUIG but thats not for a few years yet. Am I right to presume that flats are not unisex.

They mostly are but a few are mixed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not unisex, so single sex? No Contrary to Dmcg90 above, most "flats" are unisex. They mix and match anyone really, unless you specify, or have a group of people you want to live with in the same "flat".
    dmcg90 wrote: »
    They mostly are but a few are mixed.
    Ive never heard any of the big 3 being single sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 emergencyroom

Right so some unisex. Is there any bother in any of the places in getting in a flat with your mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

generally no but you have to book in plenty of time to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Just to summarise Corrib Village for anyone who's joining the thread late

Awful management, internet that doesn't work, immersions that cost a fortune but don't work half of the time, heaters on which the timers don't work (they won't tell you that though, awesome), we've been lucky enough to have an ant infestation in our sitting room due to the brutal state of the buildings themselves and this is a "deluxe" apartment as opposed to the unplastered brick monstrosities that pass for "standard" accomodation, noisy at night, plenty of vandalism and bike theft to go around, you get ID'd even leaving the place early in the morning and every evening coming into your own home, clampers abound even though most of the people parking here are lecturers/don't live here, your car is about as safe as anything else in the path of packs of drunken culchies who've never been away from mammy and daddy before, mould, damp and neighbours that seemingly entered Corrib through a time machine somewhere in the Stone Age, the fact that in all likelyhood you'll end up living with idiots and be told that not accepting their behavior calls for "compromise" on your side

I would go on, and on, and on and on but I'll finish here with don't make the mistakes we did and pay 5 grand to live in a place that reaches the lows of a council estate then puts on some diving gear and heads south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Just to summarise Corrib Village for anyone who's joining the thread late

Awful management, internet that doesn't work, immersions that cost a fortune but don't work half of the time, heaters on which the timers don't work (they won't tell you that though, awesome), we've been lucky enough to have an ant infestation in our sitting room due to the brutal state of the buildings themselves and this is a "deluxe" apartment as opposed to the unplastered brick monstrosities that pass for "standard" accomodation, noisy at night, plenty of vandalism and bike theft to go around, you get ID'd even leaving the place early in the morning and every evening coming into your own home, clampers abound even though most of the people parking here are lecturers/don't live here, your car is about as safe as anything else in the path of packs of drunken culchies who've never been away from mammy and daddy before, mould, damp and neighbours that seemingly entered Corrib through a time machine somewhere in the Stone Age, the fact that in all likelyhood you'll end up living with idiots and be told that not accepting their behavior calls for "compromise" on your side

I would go on, and on, and on and on but I'll finish here with don't make the mistakes we did and pay 5 grand to live in a place that reaches the lows of a council estate then puts on some diving gear and heads south.

I hope to Jesus I get Gort . . . . .

• Advertisement

Nice but small and not as much craic as other residences.

I thought it had room for over 300, doesn't seem too small to me. I heard it's strict though? Do they enforce all of those bs rules they have on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 p1r0

Hey, i just sent off my application for Gort today. I have 4 people down as housemates and they all put me down too. Do you think i still have a chance of getting in at this late stage??

p1r0 wrote: »
    Hey, i just sent off my application for Gort today. I have 4 people down as housemates and they all put me down too. Do you think i still have a chance of getting in at this late stage??

I applied in June last year and still got in, you would be amazed how many cancellations they get with the leaving cert results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 p1r0

Thank you!! I was in fits of panic a few hours ago over it, really need to get in!

I applied in June last year and still got in, you would be amazed how many cancellations they get with the leaving cert results!

Serious?

Theres me worrying about sending my application in a couple of days after bookings opened!:p

Did anyone hear whether or not ya got a place yet ?

ciano1 wrote: »
    Serious?

Theres me worrying about sending my application in a couple of days after bookings opened!:p

Did anyone hear whether or not ya got a place yet ?

Usually there's very little cancellations at the moment because most people like to keep their options... Most of the action happens in the summer and around the time of CAO deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Hi all. Hoping to do my postgrad in NUIG next year and looking at apt complexes but they seem to be majorly first year populated? I'm not opposed to parties or first years but places with parties every night of the week would really be out unfortunately.:( I need to live in mixed gener apts (currently living with four friends, all of whom are guys and I'm the only girl :D) and I don't mind sharing with up to 5/6 people once there's a few bathrooms!

Any suggestions or comments?

Other than the above, wouldn't mind having reliable (fast?) broadband or a 10min (or less) walk to college...or heaven forbid a smoking (or balcony containing cause I don't like living on ground floor) complex! But I'm unrealistic as hell so probably won't get any such luxuries on my budget.

Edit: Just had a quick look on daft there too trying to get sense of houses and theres loads for Dun Na Coiribe, Headford Rd - the ones with pics look grand but given the high number is there a reason to avoid? 5 mins from college true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That is weird,I could have sworn I posted this last night but...

Celtise - if you want to avoid 24 hour partying,I would certainly avoid Corrib village.
    If Dun na corribe is located beside Gort na corribe,it is a great location.It is around 5-10 mintue walk from the uni.It is also a great location for other reasons as it is very close to Supermacs,McDonalds,Subway,cinema,Dunnes stores,Tesco and many other useful places to have close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SuchALiar

I'm going into second year next year and I'm wondering when do we start looking for houses? I'm not really into the whole student accommodation and would love to get into a house in Newcastle road or that general area. There's three possibly four of us, is this possible? Anyone know of any numbers?

I'd also be chuffed to get into a flat/house in Dún na Coiribe.

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 figi

Iv already booked Corrib for next year. Anyone else booked yet? Heard its gotten awful strict this year..kinda freaked I booked it now afraid ill be put in with loada dry balls :eek:. Help someone please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

Heyyy....gat word yesterday that i hav gat in2 corrib....so i will also be there haha:D...duno if thats a gud thing lol....wat do u mean stricter by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

One thing which is kind of annoying about Corrib is that you can't get a taxi to drop ya home.It can only drop u to the gate.It's a pretty small thing but it gets 2 u when u are absolutely recked
    Other than that, Hopefuly u will have a good time:D

Got word that I was accapted into Cuirt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 figi

Cathal O wrote: »
    Heyyy....gat word yesterday that i hav gat in2 corrib....so i will also be there haha:D...duno if thats a gud thing lol....wat do u mean stricter by the way

Just heard its impossible to get visitors in after 12 and that any sign of mad partys and security are straight up :O.. What course you gonna do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

going into 2nd year next year. currently living in half-board digs. i was considering staying there next year, but i want to get some more independence. however, my brother just scared me with a list of the bills i'd have and all the costs if i was living in a house. i'm currently paying ~€100/week with breakfast and all bills.
    is living in a house with other people more expensive the digs i'm in now? roughly how much would it cost? i'd be looking for a house in westside, close enough to the college. how much are houses in estates in westside?

Got Gort :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

whiteman19 wrote: »
    going into 2nd year next year. currently living in half-board digs. i was considering staying there next year, but i want to get some more independence. however, my brother just scared me with a list of the bills i'd have and all the costs if i was living in a house. i'm currently paying ~€100/week with breakfast and all bills.
    is living in a house with other people more expensive the digs i'm in now? roughly how much would it cost? i'd be looking for a house in westside, close enough to the college. how much are houses in estates in westside?

around €50 a week rent is about the lowest you will get in hazel park, cherry park etc;, and then whatever expenses and bills, im sure it works out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

ciano1 wrote: »
    Got Gort :D:D:D

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Me too

Me Three :cool:

• Advertisement

Lovely :)

All we have to do is sit some sort of examination in June in order to get into NUIG :p

Advertisement