Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

figi wrote: »
    Just heard its impossible to get visitors in after 12 and that any sign of mad partys and security are straight up :O.. What course you gonna do??

****e.... a well, corrib is always guna be a bit mad like....im doin law, wat bout urself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 figi

Cathal O wrote: »
    ****e.... a well, corrib is always guna be a bit mad like....im doin law, wat bout urself?

Exactly :D... Amm.. well its between corp law, podiatry or nursin... haven't really decided yet but sure plenty of time yet... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 summer2010

Yay! Got my letter from Gort :D:D
    Who's gonna be my neighbour?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

ciano1 wrote: »
    Lovely :)

All we have to do is sit some sort of examination in June in order to get into NUIG :p
    Meh, it's just a minor detail...

Exactly :D... Amm.. well its between corp law, podiatry or nursin... haven't really decided yet but sure plenty of time yet... :cool:

Coolio .... wud u be the non stop party type of person , the quiet minuss crak type person...or sumtin in between haha

• Advertisement

Coolio .... wud u be the non stop party type of person , the quiet minuss crak type person...or sumtin in between haha

oh non stop bring it on kinda person.. im act terified ill end up in a house with loadsa borin people like imagine it? yourself? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

the quiet minuss crak type person...

Where are you from hey? Because I'm fairly sure one of my friends invented "minus craic"!

oh non stop bring it on kinda person.. im act terified ill end up in a house with loadsa borin people like imagine it? yourself? :D

Id be a man up for a bitta crak now...cant beate it.
    Did u choose to be all with girls or fellas...or did u choose a mixed house, i think i said nytin, cant remember right. Id say id like a mixed house...women wud clean up after ya (messin of course)

as for the castlebar fella,
    im from monaghan, and sure we all know that minus craic originated in castlebar...its renouned for it, so i well believe ya

Id be a man up for a bitta crak now...cant beate it.
    Did u choose to be all with girls or fellas...or did u choose a mixed house, i think i said nytin, cant remember right. Id say id like a mixed house...women wud clean up after ya (messin of course)

Haha i wont be cleanin up after any lads :P sure were there to be havin the craic not to be cleanin. Well maybe if theres an inspection but apart from that itl be grand! I dunno what i put either as far as i know theres 4 appartments in every house and its either all girls or all boys in each appartment but there could be like 1 appartment of lads in with 3 appartments of girls...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

To anyone that got Gort:
    Does it specify what kind of room you got in the letter?

I applied for a Single En-Suite but on the letter it just said that i've been allocated a 'Single Room' ?

• Advertisement

Says the same for me, I'm sure it would specify en-suite if it was one though.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Says the same for me, I'm sure it would specify en-suite if it was one though.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 veryoriginal

I'm going back to college next year but I'm a bit older than most 2nd years (22) so I want to avoid student res. Where is a good place to get if your looking on your own. Dún looks nice but I'd say you'd want to have 3 or 4 with ya to fill a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

If you look on Rent.ie or one of them closer to the time, landlords in Dún will rent out a room for one person at a time, well most of them like, I know my boyf lives there now, he had to move ot of Amhra Hiuse after sem 1 coz twas so scummy like, and some landlord had a free room in a 4 bed house so he got in there! you'd want a house or apt with a few all thesame tho, just makes it cheaper when splittin bills like TV licence or oil costs and that :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

you could try hazel park, lorel park, greenfields, brendans avenue (near woodquay), theres houses on prospect hill, bothar na mban ect
    theres loads of places to be lookin!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

whiteman19 wrote: »
    going into 2nd year next year. currently living in half-board digs. i was considering staying there next year, but i want to get some more independence. however, my brother just scared me with a list of the bills i'd have and all the costs if i was living in a house. i'm currently paying ~€100/week with breakfast and all bills.
    is living in a house with other people more expensive the digs i'm in now? roughly how much would it cost? i'd be looking for a house in westside, close enough to the college. how much are houses in estates in westside?

im living in student accommodation but i know people who are in rented houses with friends and out in greenfields its costing one of the girls i know 80 a week but that covers rent and all bills, they just put money in every week so the expense is spread out and if they are short they all chip in the difference. I say go for the house, cant imagine you having the same freedom where you are now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Is there any first years staying in Dunaras ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GossipGirl_Glee

Okay, I know this is dumb but I hadn't thought about accommadation before now. Just started researching. Gort na Coiribe seems to be the best place but I have a feeling there's no point applying now. Would I be right?
    What places should I start looking at? Are all the good places gone? :confused:
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Okay, I know this is dumb but I hadn't thought about accommadation before now. Just started researching. Gort na Coiribe seems to be the best place but I have a feeling there's no point applying now. Would I be right?

I'd say at least try..Waiting list at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I got in last year in July, so yeah, apply now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 havingthecraic

I am a first year and i lived in gort this year...had a brilliant year and am gona live there again next year!! they don't put all the first years together, but that's better because you get to know other people.....they usually mix first years with second years and maybe one other first year. i'd def advise living there, its so much nicer than corrib!! they are all booked up at the moment but if you want to live there, def send in an application because they always have loads of cancelations....like i know people who got a place in july and august last year! its not as quiet as people think either....great place for parties, and you can still get a bit of study done!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

I'm thinking about staying in Atlantis appartments for my first year to avoid the chaos of Corrib, what's the general consensus on Atlantis? It says it's a 5-10 minute walk away from NUIG on the website but i've heard other people say it was longer, Is Atlantis trying to pull the wool over our eyes? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

It's ten or fifteen minutes... not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jameslcmullally

I'm a Pre-Arts student, 19 and dependent on parents. Any advice or tips you guys could give me for a first year Arts student (2010-2011)?
    Don't know what places are the worst and best etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭1992

Is there any first years staying in Dunaras ?

Im staying there I cant wait :) but not sure what its like for first years? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Hi im looking for a v reasonable 1 bed studio or flat or a place to share with 1 or 2 people..like an aprtment or something.. near town or walking distance.
    im hoping to go back to college in the autumn as a mature student..im 30.
    If any one looking to share in or near the city or know of any 1 bed... get back to me!
    I need parking and rent allowance... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Do you have to give a deposit to reserve accomodation? Because if you do, then I'd need a depost for 5 colleges and I'll lose a crap full of money. Really should have looked into this sooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

theowen wrote: »
    Do you have to give a deposit to reserve accomodation? Because if you do, then I'd need a depost for 5 colleges and I'll lose a crap full of money. Really should have looked into this sooner!
    depends on the accommodation, if it's student accommodation, then yeah, you do need a deposit early on (when you book it in Jan/Feb usually), but if you're going to be renting a house, you give the deposit when you're interested in the house and want to rent it. you could probably get away with searching for houses until after the LC results, but if you want to get a good(ish) one, look around July. it'll be up on the NUIG website sometime this month.

for student accommodation, if you don't get into their college, then they should refund you their deposit (minus an admin fee - usually €100).

Sooo...

Anyone hoping to go to NUIG next year.. Where are ye booked into?

• Advertisement

Gort

Advertisement