Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Needs Study (1998)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Chapter 6...

Chapter 7 is large and interesting. Part one of Chapter 7 is attached below.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Thanks for all the scanning! It does make for an interesting read.

In some ways I'm kind of glad they didn't follow through completely on this study because if we had we would have ended up with a rather strange patchwork of road types, motorways morphing into smaller motorways to wide single lanes and back to motorways again. It would have made no real sense to have a network like this based purely on traffic levels.

One of the very interesting things is to see that Kells to Clonee was recommended as a motorway even in 1998. Where does that leave people who criticise this as a vanity and unnecessary project?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I know Dublin is too big for this analysis to be reliable, but Galway, Limerick and Waterford are of similar scale (25 km out puts you well in the countryside), so I stand over my analysis where these three cities are concerned.

This type of analysis is pointless. The roads do not just serve one place or one place and its suburbs, but all destinations in that direction. Simplistically the population of County Galway is twice that of County Waterford. Donegal, which has no motorway, has one third more people than County Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

To say thank you to Tremelo for lending me this document to help with my dissertation, I am going to complete the scanning of the document and upload.
    Chapter 7 Part 2 is below:

RNS Ch 7 part 2.pdf

I had to lower the quality as the file came to 9mb when I first scanned.

I hope to be able upload one chapter a week for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

No bother. Thanks very much for scanning it. Soon we'll have the whole thing in the public domain, where it belongs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

don't mean to sound ungrateful, but any chance of scanning the last two chapters.

I can do it if anybody is willing to send me a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I still have the hard copy, I'm in the last few days of writing up my dissertation so will hopefully be returning it to the rightful owner soon.

It survived my apartment being flooded last October. Unfortunately the scanner didn't. I should have scanned it when I had the chance but I was lazy.

Advertisement