Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be in fully furnished apartment?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved into a new apartment and I've found there is very little in terms of furnishings even though it was advertised as fully furnished and I'm paying alot of money for it. Basically, there's a cooker, fridge (no freezer), bed, two couch's, 6 table chairs, an effort of a kitchen table which basically is a rotting 5 ft long table with a piece of wood nailed to one of the legs to balance it and most of the paintwork peeled off. My mum saw the table and thinks I should turf it out the back as she thinks it has woodworm! Also a couple of coffee tables. There was no delph, no cutlery, no freezer. Two or three windows in the apt (inc a bathroom with bath) have no blinds/curtains. The landlord has been away since I moved in so I'm putting together a bit of a snag/wanted list. There are a few other things like a leak or two and no hot water in en-suite but it's newly decorated so I'll say it to landlord. Should I push for freezer and curtains? What about delph and cutlery. I've bought/sourced my own at this stage but should he be liable for the cost? He left his kettle and toaster but said he's going to take them when he gets back. I can't find any lists on the threshold or prtb websites. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Unfortunately for you, he is not obliged to provide a freezer. Also, fully furnished relates only to the furniture, delph, cutlery etc are not included. Basically, he has to provide only enough furniture to make the apartment livable. Sorry that this is not what you expected, its horrible when things do not live up they are advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Did you actually view the apartment before moving in?

Fully furnished generally includes basic furniture. Usually sofa(s), kitchen table and chairs if appropriate, beds, washing machine, fridge freezer, oven/hob and that's about it. Maybe bedside lockers and maybe coffee table.

More upmarket places include kettle/toaster and microwave, as well as delph and cutlery.

If a tenant viewed one of my places and then AFTERWARDS complained about lack of furniture I would think they were being unreasonable. I would always expect this to be agreed PRIOR to preparing lease. In fact, I always list included items on the lease so there is no confusion.

I'll ask again - did you really the an apartment without viewing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

Bear in mind that if delph and glasses are provided by the landlord what happens if one is broken, if it's a matching set do they deduct the full cost of the whole set from your deposit? Or just the amount for the broken plate or glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Bear in mind that if delph and glasses are provided by the landlord what happens if one is broken, if it's a matching set do they deduct the full cost of the whole set from your deposit? Or just the amount for the broken plate or glass?

I would think neither. Any breakages could be considered wear and tear, assuming the whole set is gone / broken.

I think any landlord who rents a place out for 12 months could be very unreasonable to expect nothing to be broken. Everyone has breakages every now and then it is normal wear and tear.

On a seperate note if the landlord doesn't give you a list of contents when you move it how do they know everything is there when you leave or how do you prove something wasn't there to start with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Broken delph certainly counts as breakage. If a full set is given to the tenant a full set should be given back. Delph does not wear out over time like carpet or paintwork. If someone is careful they will not break delph.
    Anyway, did the o/p not view the place before moving in? Did he not take note of the contents and make enquiries as to what others might be forthcoming? Most landlords will put in something extra to get a letting. What is the point of moving in and then looking around to see what has been provided. The deposit is handed over, the lease with inventory of contents has been signed and only then does the o/p decide the place is too sparsely furnished???

• Advertisement

Jo King wrote: »
    Broken delph certainly counts as breakage. If a full set is given to the tenant a full set should be given back. Delph does not wear out over time like carpet or paintwork. If someone is careful they will not break delph.

By that logic, does the landlord have the right to deduct the cost of a full set of new delph if you broke one cup that matched the set and that one cup could no longer be sourced ( on the basis that you were supplied with a matching set)?

I think it is wrong to say that you won't break delph, it can happen to the best of us. I know I have at least one glass since I moved into my apt, not through lack of care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

By that logic, does the landlord have the right to deduct the cost of a full set of new delph if you broke one cup that matched the set and that one cup could no longer be sourced ( on the basis that you were supplied with a matching set)?

Probably why most landlords don't provide delph. I've never been in an apartment where the landlord provided that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i must have got lucky so,every place i have rented has had cutlery,plates glasses etc,pretty much all off them have had a tv,
    how come landlords dont have to supply a freezer that seems odd??

Probably why most landlords don't provide delph. I've never been in an apartment where the landlord provided that kind of stuff.

The apt I am in was previously owner occupied and has alot more than you would usually expect including ornaments and candles!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Of course he has. What good is a part of a set of delph? He has to throw it out and buy another. Tenants should use their own delph and live with mismatches if they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jo King wrote: »
    Of course he has. What good is a part of a set of delph? He has to throw it out and buy another. Tenants should use their own delph and live with mismatches if they want.

Well-named, that poster. Tenants don't generally need a full set of matching delph unless they are interior designers, in which case they won't like the pattern. Most tenants don't mind mismatched china.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

aaf wrote: »
    I've recently moved into a new apartment and I've found there is very little in terms of furnishings even though it was advertised as fully furnished and I'm paying alot of money for it.
    Surely this was apparent to you when you viewed it? Why did you take the apartment if you had a problem with how well it's furnished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Didn't read everything, but just a quick note...

A freezer would be an appliance rather than a furnishing, so while "fully-furnished" does give the impression that it should have everything you need, it doesn't necessarily mean stuff like kitchen appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

This is a good opportunity to get your own (decent) stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Cheers for the comments guys. It's a bit of a strange rental agreement. The landlord, who is very laid back, previously lived in my apt. I saw it twice. I moved in just before Xmas and he has been away since a few days before I moved in. This is the first time I have rented so that's why I'm seeking advice here. He didn't write down all the contents and I don't have a fixed lease. Pros and cons to that. He left a note for me for when I moved in. Now, he seems like a really nice guy. I'm just checking to see what exactly I am entitled to, that's all. He has since taken a few small items like a big rug since I saw the place and mentioned it in his note. Upon his return sometime next week I think, he is taking a big poster, kettle and toaster and prob a few other small items.

Judging by what you guys are saying, a fully furnished apt actually amounts to very little. I was just checking. Do you think I have any right to ask for curtains or blinds to be put up in the downstairs bathroom (I have ensuite upstairs), which has a bath? There is no other house or apt overlooking the bathroom but if a neighbour were to be up on a ladder painting their wall, they would have full view of the bathroom. Also, a small window in the kitchen faces out to another window about 8 ft away which happens to be my neighbours. Do I have any right to ask for a curtain/blind for there? Also, just so as I'm clear, a freezer is not classed as a basic furnishing/appliance? What about the kitchen table? It's in an awful state. One leg is too short so he nailed a small square block of wood to it. The paint is all but gone off the table and the wood is splitting. You honestly couldn't have any guests eat from it. Do you think I can ask him for a replacement table? I really like the apt so don't want to annoy the landlord. All advice welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

Considering you've already moved in and paid deposit and rent he may not agree to making changes. But ask anyway.

The second option would be to ask him to remove them and source some things yourself on some of the free websites (not sure on the addresses I think theres one run by Dublin waste) or in a charity/used furniture shop/Ikea or Argos depending on location.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i lived in loads of rented place - some had delph, so didnt.

they NEVER had a freezer, mircowave or a tv - i bought my own and moved them around with me.

you have all your basic furniture which is what fully furnished means.

so was suggest here, you can ask him to replace the table or just remove it complete and get your own, you could try jumbletown or freecycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

He has since taken a few small items like a big rug since I saw the place and mentioned it in his note. Upon his return sometime next week I think, he is taking a big poster, kettle and toaster and prob a few other small items.

This doesn't sound fair. You accepted the property based on what was there when viewing it,and surely he should have told you during the viewing if he was going to start removing things?
    I would be very pissed off if a landlord suddenly decided to come and remove appliances or fittings after I'd already started living there,and gotten used to them.
    Surely it's expected that all appliances,furniture,and fittings that are presented on viewing are going to remain there for the duration of tenancy-unless very clearly stated otherwise at the time of viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

irishbird wrote: »
    they NEVER had a freezer, mircowave or a tv - i bought my own and moved them around with me.

you have all your basic furniture which is what fully furnished means.

so was suggest here, you can ask him to replace the table or just remove it complete and get your own, you could try jumbletown or freecycle
    Well to counter your anecdote I've lived in many different furnished accom for the past 15 years. Some places had microwaves & TV's some didn't. All had freezers, if only the freezer box in some places. There are no strict lists of what should be in or not, that's why you should agree on all that before you sign the rental agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

sarahlulu wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you, he is not obliged to provide a freezer.

Actually he may be obliged to provide a freezer. If the apt wasn't rented out previously, which seems to be the case here, then the new housing standards regulations apply.

Among the things that are required to be supplied are:
    (c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,
    (d) Microwave oven,
    (g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/repairs-maintenance-and-minimum-physical-standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

wench wrote: »
    Actually he may be obliged to provide a freezer. If the apt wasn't rented out previously, which seems to be the case here, then the new housing standards regulations apply.

Among the things that are required to be supplied are:
    (c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,
    (d) Microwave oven,
    (g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/repairs-maintenance-and-minimum-physical-standards
    I know he lived here before I moved in but I don't know if he rented it before that. Here's a quote taken from the page you linked to above:
    "If a property has been let for rent at any time between 1 September 2004 and 31 January 2009 it doesn’t have to meet the new standards for sanitary, heating, laundry, food preparation and storage facilities until 1 February 2013."

I'll try to find out if this place was let before. I'll ask the neighbours. Cheers for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hmm I only moved into my place in November - no microwave...

Luckily I have my own pretty new and good one, so its a non issue anyway.

I've lived in 3 different places (2 in same development) in the past 3 years (won't be leaving here for quite a while!!) and ALL have had fridge/freezers.

The first place was an undercounter fridge with a freezer compartment, but that still counts.

I would regard a freezer essential, and if it says fully furnished, I would expect there to be a fridge/freezer.

My place was fully furnished - and I know this was quite incredible (through estate agent) but here's a list of things I got:

Fridge/freezer
    dishwasher
    new kitchen table + chairs
    2 double beds w/ matresses, pillows, duvets and covers for all (don't use, covers though they were brand new)
    couches
    coffee table
    TV stand/unit thingy
    Blinds and/or curtains on all windows
    bed side lockers with lamps(lamps weren't nice, so bought my own)
    lampshades for ceiling lights (replaced a few with ones I bought also)
    full set of cutlery(!!)
    Full set of plates/side plates/cups/saucers/bowls (!!!)

Everything brand new from Ikea/Dunnes Home.

I should add that its a brand new property also.

I got a seriously good deal - I also get to keep all the cutlery / bed linen if I wish should I move.

Now I know this is not the norm, but it goes to show what can be had if you seriously look around.

If a place is advertised as 'fully furnished' I would expect it to be FULLY furnished. This should always be confirmed by viewing. If it is not what you would consider to be fully furnished (or indeed if some of the furnishings are beyond usability / in a state of disrepair) I would immmediately ask for them to be replaced or items added before a deposit is paid - or indeed if you wanted to secure the proerty, pay the deposit but hold off the first rent payment until the situation is rectified.

However - always ensure that everything is how you want it before the rental agreement / lease is signed. And ensure any changes you have agreed would be made are written into the agreement.

Advertisement