Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club Portarlington?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if there's any book clubs going or if anyone's interested in starting one. Would be nice to have something to do these cold winter evenings :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Hiya Minxie,

I'd be interested in a book club, I used to read constantly but struggle to fit it in now. Would love to get back into it. I work shifts, so I find it difficult to attend regular meetings of any type, as my shifts change.

What kind of thing were you thinking? Meet in pubs/coffee shops, or meet up in people's houses? I'd be happy to host meetings, if there were even five people + it'd be a nice way to spend an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Great! I was thinking maybe meet once a month in pub / coffee shop. Spread the business around town a bit. Any other takers?

Here's hoping! It'd be nice to get out & meet folks as well.

no other takers?

Any more on this, Minxie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭chillmad

i have a stock of books any takers????????????????????????? its a great idea!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 louiseself

maybe i am a bit out of date with this thread but i am really interested in a book club i live in portarlington and work in dublin so evenings or weekends would suit me the most. is this still an open idea or am i too late haha

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭chillmad

hi louiseself!
    you'll never be completely out! you could try to reinitialise it. i'm behind you!:eek:

:Dhow??? lol

Hi all, I'm still interested. Another one or two people and we've got ourselves a book club! Any more takers?

• Advertisement

:ocool keep me posted - how many so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blue_morpho

I would also be interested :) I'm newly pregnant so will be reading a lot of books now that the nights out will prob dry up :)

I would also be interested :) I'm newly pregnant so will be reading a lot of books now that the nights out will prob dry up :)

Me too! I reckon with the not drinking there'll be plenty of time for reading books :)

Ok, so far we have:

Me (minxie)
    DoogieBoogie
    Chillmad
    Louiseself
    Blue Morpho

I reckon that's enough to get started anyway. I might throw up a flyer in the library and in the book shop to spread the word. Any suggestions on when and where to meet up? I'm assuming evenings and somewhere like The Anvil which is a fairly central point and is quiet mid week. Anyone else have any ideas?

yeah somewhere like the anvil is good, or we can alternate between each other's houses or whatever.
    i work in dublin so am really only free in the evenings (i get home at seven...) or weekends.

I'd say mid week is the way to go. Easier to get a night that everyone is free. We could meet at nine which would give anyone commuting time to get home and have a bite to eat before meeting up.

I've sent you all a PM with my email address so maybe you could email me and let me know when would suit to meet up.

Hi Minxie,

I'd be interested, but I work shifts so probably wouldn't be able to make once a week, would be able to make once a fortnight though.

once a fortnight is better - give us time to read the books haha :)

Any movement on this? Perhaps all interested parties could post suggestions about books we should read, we could pick one and arrange to meet in a fortnight or so?

Hi Folks

The norm for a book club is to meet once a month but I'm ok if you'd like to meet more often. Probably the best thing to do would be to have an initial meeting to say hi and see what kind of books we all read and then take it from there. I haven't had any more interest so it would be the 4 of us to start off and hopefully we can grow it from there.

Let me know what you think.

perfect with me :) monthly seems good too i commute to dublin every day so i have loads of time to read haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 blue_morpho

Sounds good to me too, will we arrange a time and a place by PM then, just in case any axe murderers are watching this thread :D

thats me out then!! haha

How did it go? I'm sorry I couldn't make it, didn't get out of work till 9pm. I hope I'll be able to make it to the next one, keep me posted x

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ericasmith83

Hiya Minxie,

I'd be interested in a book club, I used to read constantly but struggle to fit it in now. Would love to get back into it. I work shifts, so I find it difficult to attend regular meetings of any type, as my shifts change.

What kind of thing were you thinking? Meet in pubs/coffee shops, or meet up in people's houses? I'd be happy to host meetings, if there were even five people + it'd be a nice way to spend an evening.

HI i was wondering if you ever got that book club up and running ? i would love to join if its still going ?

Advertisement