Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackout Cup III Structure

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Here is the proposed structure for season 3 of the blackout cup. The idea is to make the pools stage more competitive for everyone, and particularly to give the weaker teams a better chance winning games and progressing.

Four pools (A-D) of eight teams each. Teams will be placed in pools based on their blackout standings - the strongest 8 in pool A, the weakest 8 in pool D.

At the end of the round robin, teams will qualify to quarter finals of one of four knockouts (we need a name for the extra one).

The top knockout (the boards cup) will consist of the top four teams from pool A, the top two from pool B, and the winners of pools C and D. The full details are in this excel file.

Unless there are strong objections, we will be going ahead with this for season 3, and we'll review again before season 4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I have to problems with the overall setup but just a quick question, but do teams in the league play each other twice? or just once?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

satory wrote: »
    I have to problems with the overall setup but just a quick question, but do teams in the league play each other twice? or just once?
    Teams play each other once. With the added teams this season, the pool stage will consist of 7 rounds, followed by 1-3 playoff rounds.

In the pool stages, teams will be at home one week, away the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Looks good Dave.

Is it the end of season rankings (after all playoffs in week 16) that determine what group a team is in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Dave, thanks again for all the hard work.

Cheers

jprender wrote: »
    Looks good Dave.

Is it the end of season rankings (after all playoffs in week 16) that determine what group a team is in ?
    I'm not sure when the rankings will be taken. end of week 16 sounds good, if we have enough teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Sounds good dave, thanks for setting this up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

We can sort out the rankings once we get 32 teams, using Blackout Rugby's own ranking system seems fair, but for subsequent competitions we can work out our own ranking system based on results. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Orizio wrote: »
    We can sort out the rankings once we get 32 teams, using Blackout Rugby's own ranking system seems fair, but for subsequent competitions we can work out our own ranking system based on results. ;)

When you say results, is that results from only the boards cup matches? how would you go about working that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Nice job Dave!!

eoferrall wrote: »
    When you say results, is that results from only the boards cup matches? how would you go about working that out?

I haven't worked it out yet, as it won't be in use for months yet. ;) No need to worry yet, but yes, results in next seasons cup will be the main factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Structure looks good. Great job Dave and Orizio!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thats good - cheers lads

mar-z wrote: »
    Structure looks good. Great job Dave and Orizio!

Well thank you, I was waiting for someone to thank me (even though I had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it)...;)

As the season end is almost upon us, we are going to proceed with the teams who are presently signed up. 25 teams have signed up, so we're looking at three pools of 8 teams. Teams have been placed in their pools according to their ranking on the 28th.

Tralee Titans are the team to miss out on the basis that their manager has not posted here since originally signing up.

Qualification for the knockouts will still be weighted in favor of the stronger pools, similar to what was described in the first post. The details of this will be announced in the next day or two.

The offsite with the fixture list and whatnot will be up sometime next week.

I'd expect things to kick off in week 2, to allow everybody time to accept their fixtures.
    Team | Ranking
    Pool A |
    Polk High | 58.525
    Bogwarriors | 55.2538
    Everyone likes a Tryer | 54.5466
    Scorched Earth | 54.2622
    The Cantankerous Gnomes | 53.8282
    Munster Mark II | 53.3145
    Grubber RFC | 53.0672
    The Rebels | 51.9467
    Pool B |
    Forza Juve | 51.9387
    Killarney RFC | 51.2155
    Dead Hard Fcukers | 50.5668
    Yermen | 49.9795
    Curly Sue Death Squad | 49.5286
    Wandering Wanderers | 49.4504
    XaviXI | 48.8464
    Stab County | 47.0493
    Pool C |
    A Lovely Bunch Altogether | 46.8668
    Templeogue Seniors | 46.7008
    Ladyboys | 46.3835
    The Parrish | 45.5817
    East Coast Tinders | 44.6372
    Men Who Stare at Goats | 44.2189
    Ali's Academicals | 43.4498
    Beltra | 41.9571

Cheers Dave!

Looking forward to the qualification outline.. 4th highest ranking team.. Least i'm higher than Orizio!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

im number 1, im number 1, flanders is a dope, im number 1!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

:)

Im number 24, im number 24 im number 24, watch out...

Obviously Dave was on drugs when he compiled those - I demand repeated recounts until I'm on top looking down upon all you proles... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

good stuff thanks!

Fixtures are up on blackout now. Since we got them posted earlier than expected, we'll start in week 2. Please accept them next time you login.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Fixtures are up on blackout now. Since we got them posted earlier than expected, we'll start in week 2. Please accept them next time you login.

Ok, I accepted them all Dave.

Just want to check, is it right that I only get 2 home games and 5 away ? :confused:

That's a bit heavy.

jprender wrote: »
    Ok, I accepted them all Dave.

Just want to check, is it right that I only get 2 home games and 5 away ? :confused:

That's a bit heavy.
    The fixture generators I tried can't seem to come up with a fixture set that doesn't screw somebody with five away games. I suspect it may be mathematically impossible to avoid.

Really should have fiddled it so it was Orizio rather than you though :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Fixtures accepted, thanks for all the hard work :D

Eire
    Killarney RFC

Great stuff Dave, Operation 'let's piss off JPrender until he loses his mind and shoots half of Louth' has got off to a most promising beginning... *wink wink*

just realised I had not accepted fixtures - and now i see I also have 2 home and FIVE away games:eek:... ah well its all IGT anyway!

:mad:
    eoferrall wrote: »
    just realised I had not accepted fixtures - and now i see I also have 2 home and FIVE away games:eek:... ah well its all IGT anyway!
    Yep, one in each pool. Definitely not ideal, we'll need to think again for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Group B looks like the group of death. I have the fear.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Group B looks like the group of death. I have the fear.
    Looks to me like the seedings worked pretty well. I reckon they'll all groups of death:D.

The qualification structure is up on the offsite now. I'd have loved to debate it out, but the reduced size forced our hand a little.

You'll notice that the site is still a work in progress. Here's a spoiler for some of what I have in mind (with stats from last season). Stats will be available for all teams after round 1. If there are other stats you'd like to see, let me know.

You'll notice that the site is still a work in progress. Here's a spoiler for some of what I have in mind (with stats from last season). Stats will be available for all teams after round 1. If there are other stats you'd like to see, let me know.

That looks an excellant addition to the offiste for the cup, congratualtions! Can't wait til it is finished!

one thing you could add in is territory and possession maybe? would give a reference to the other stats, like high possession and low average score would indicate crap attack! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Hats off to you Dave looks great. Only thing id suggest with the stats is you have the average points scored, how about average points conceded also?

do you have to go through all the teams one by one to get their individual stats? I wouldnt know much about setting up websites or programming but if i can help with collecting stats or other stuff like that let me know.

Advertisement