Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackout Cup III Structure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Hats off to you Dave looks great. Only thing id suggest with the stats is you have the average points scored, how about average points conceded also?
    That'd make sense. Added to the to-do list.

[QUOTE=johnnysmack;64297602
    do you have to go through all the teams one by one to get their individual stats? I wouldnt know much about setting up websites or programming but if i can help with collecting stats or other stuff like that let me know.[/QUOTE]
    The process isn't that laborious. I just cut and paste the stat pages from each fixture into a script that does the magic for me. Thanks for offering though.

Would people be interested in some stat-based awards at the end of the season? Stuff like best lineout, best scrum etc? I think they'd be nice, if there were medals to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Hats off to you Dave looks great. Only thing id suggest with the stats is you have the average points scored, how about average points conceded also?

do you have to go through all the teams one by one to get their individual stats? I wouldnt know much about setting up websites or programming but if i can help with collecting stats or other stuff like that let me know.

Can you help with making medals/trophies for the competition? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Would people be interested in some stat-based awards at the end of the season? Stuff like best lineout, best scrum etc? I think they'd be nice, if there were medals to go with them.

That would be good, but I doubt BR would sanction medals for that - but recognition on boards would do for most of us. (as long as its not Orizio, don't need to listen to him gloating about winning something!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I'd assume these medals would go up on the boards cup off site...

Probably under a teams stats...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Actually any medals or trophies would go into your BR team trophy room.

• Advertisement

Eireannach wrote: »

I'd say he was talking about the stats medals, as i can not see BR allowing all these random trophies in your trophy cabinet. might be wrong though!

with the stats would be a good place on offsite if not able on proper BR website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Eireannach wrote: »

Yeah... wouldn't mind my Nearly There Trophy, I need something to impress the ladies of Div IV (that'd be just Munster Mark II then.) :pac:

Added a 'top teams' page to the site.
    Obviously the text and formatting needs a little tidying, but I'd like any input you have on what else you'd like to see. I think breakdown and discipline would be good too?

The calculations for the current metrics are as follows (these are also open to debate):
    Best Attack = Avg points scores*10 + avg meters run
    Best Defense = avg points conceded + (% tackled missed -30)
    Best Lineout = % own lineouts won + % opponents lineouts stolen
    Best Scrum= % own scrums won + % opponents scrums stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Added a 'top teams' page to the site.
    Obviously the text and formatting needs a little tidying, but I'd like any input you have on what else you'd like to see. I think breakdown and discipline would be good too?

The calculations for the current metrics are as follows (these are also open to debate):
    Best Attack = Avg points scores*10 + avg meters run
    Best Defense = avg points conceded + (% tackled missed -30)
    Best Lineout = % own lineouts won + % opponents lineouts stolen
    Best Scrum= % own scrums won + % opponents scrums stolen

That looks awesome Dave (mostly because I'm near the top of all of them.)

One question though, how did you come to the weighting on the best defense? Well, actually I can see how it works out, but it would mean that someone could have an average of 3 points conceded (let's say a peno each game) but miss tackles could bring their defense ranking down. Well, guess that makes sense really, defense mid-park is still defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

you just keep making that site better and better dave!! its class

• Advertisement

It's probably time to start thinking about how to seed teams for next season, before the final results for this season are known.

My preferance would be to keep a 'boards cup only' rating for each team, then seed teams based on that rating, rather than the BR ratings we used at the start of this season.

That is, when a new team joins the boards cup, they are seeded based on their normal BR rating. From that point on, the boards cup keeps a seperate rating for each participating team. This rating would only be affected by boards cup matches.

It's the best way I can think of to reward weaker teams who punch above their weight in the boards cup, while still placing new teams into pools where they will be competitive.

What do we think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

It's probably time to start thinking about how to seed teams for next season, before the final results for this season are known.

My preferance would be to keep a 'boards cup only' rating for each team, then seed teams based on that rating, rather than the BR ratings we used at the start of this season.

That is, when a new team joins the boards cup, they are seeded based on their normal BR rating. From that point on, the boards cup keeps a seperate rating for each participating team. This rating would only be affected by boards cup matches.

It's the best way I can think of to reward weaker teams who punch above their weight in the boards cup, while still placing new teams into pools where they will be competitive.

What do we think?

Yeah, I think thats the best way. It will reflect different peoples attitude to the boards cup.

How would you go about interfacing the BR rating of a new team versus the boards cup rating?

reckon it would be the way to go, then a lesser team you plays normal will end up in a pool with a better team you WNWIM's all matches getting a lot more even games for example.

sound good to me that only boards games count for boards games. Are you taking the base ranking as at the start of this boards cup and then calculating the rating at the end with only boards cup matches played this season? is that easy enough to do?

I can help if its not possible to tell the website to calculate it all!:confused:

crisco10 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think thats the best way. It will reflect different peoples attitude to the boards cup.

How would you go about interfacing the BR rating of a new team versus the boards cup rating?
    I'm thinking that when a new team signs up, their BR ranking on week 14 becomes their starting Boards cup ranking for the new season. I'm open to persuasion about subtracting a few points at the start, in deference to existing members.
    eoferrall wrote: »
    Are you taking the base ranking as at the start of this boards cup and then calculating the rating at the end with only boards cup matches played this season? is that easy enough to do?

I can help if its not possible to tell the website to calculate it all!:confused:
    That's the plan. It's easy enough to calculate (well, with a computer it is). All the information is already there, so it's just a case of writing a little script that will chew through all the fixtures a week at a time and spit out rankings.

That's the plan. It's easy enough to calculate (well, with a computer it is). All the information is already there, so it's just a case of writing a little script that will chew through all the fixtures a week at a time and spit out rankings.

With a nice fancy graph? :p

If I find an easy way to do it, I might treat you ;)

Happy birthday, courtesy of google visualisation API.

Not 100% that the figures are correct yet, but it should give you an idea.

Happy birthday, courtesy of google visualisation API.

Not 100% that the figures are correct yet, but it should give you an idea.

Thats SAVAGE!:D i doff my hat to you good sir!

I like that it shows the comparing teams rankings graphed, nice touch to show trend. I like the a lot, well done on your efforts with all the features - soon will be the standard bearer for all boards comps sites!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Great addition to the site Dave! Also to the cup as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

How Do you join all the various cups in Blackout that you are not enrolled in already?

• Advertisement

How Do you join all the various cups in Blackout that you are not enrolled in already?
    Hi DB, each cup will have their own application process. Here's a list of all the official cups.

For the boards cup, there will be a signup thread here from about week 14.

Advertisement