Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

....good cars heading for scrap....?

• 14-01-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭

..in the local emporium this eve, to collect a few small bits, was yak-ing to the owner about the market etc, and he points me to a perfectly good looking...97/98 318 Coupé........that's now heading for Galway Metal, apparently.

Yep, after having just put some work into it for the client (new windscreen etc iirc), the owner is now scrapping it for some new Toyota or other.

Surely this is worth more than that ? I see them on carzone for anything from 3000 upwards, but I daresay this would be bought for anything above scrap, and below.........1900 ?

That's an awful indictment of the scrappage scheme imho. Some good stuff may get 'rescued', but an awful lot more will meet the crusher. Shameful waste imho.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..in the local emporium this eve, to collect a few small bits, was yak-ing to the owner about the market etc, and he points me to a perfectly good looking...97/98 318 Coupé........that's now heading for Galway Metal, apparently.

Yep, after having just put some work into it for the client (new windscreen etc iirc), the owner is now scrapping it for some new Toyota or other.

Surely this is worth more than that ? I see them on carzone for anything from 3000 upwards, but I daresay this would be bought for anything above scrap, and below.........1900 ?

That's an awful indictment of the scrappage scheme imho. Some good stuff may get 'rescued', but an awful lot more will meet the crusher. Shameful waste imho.....

Its the story the world over when it comes of scrappage schemes i'm afraid, even though i think it would be worse in the UK and the states, given our generally poor choices in cars, it means that much of the stuff going for scrap is rubbish anyway!

There was a thread here not so long back and it had a list of the cars that had gone for scrap in the united states and some of it really was shameful

This video comes to mind instantly, hope you're not a car lover because this may make you sad! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...I've seen that before: shocking. Disgusting, even.

Goes to show this world is even more ****ed than we thought, when wanton destruction is seen as a positive step.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

galwaytt wrote: »

But sure I though you hated BMW's anyway?:)
    It's all the big quality cars that will end up on the scrapheap due to the stupid scrappage scheme and the high road tax, i've seen some beautiful cars just left to rot because people can't afford to pay 1600 euros annual road tax. it's a disgrace that this is happening, i'd prefer to drive a twenty year old quality car than some of the Jap or Euro sh!t boxes they're passing off as cars. nowadays.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its the story the world over when it comes of scrappage schemes i'm afraid, even though i think it would be worse in the UK and the states, given our generally poor choices in cars, it means that much of the stuff going for scrap is rubbish anyway!

There was a thread here not so long back and it had a list of the cars that had gone for scrap in the united states and some of it really was shameful

This video comes to mind instantly, hope you're not a car lover because this may make you sad! :(

I'm not a fan of modern Volvos but that's sick! To wreck a perfectly good car like that, i'm sure someone would be very happy to have it as their car, this is just more of this global warming/ climate change bullsh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I hadn't heard of that Cash for Clunkers scheme until now, thats unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »

Thats just disgusting its like torturing a defenseless animal.

Well it is a Volvo/Renault thingy so fair game in my eyes but I've seen the very same thing being done to a mint Daimler Super eight on another site, I nearly cried!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....on a lighter note: it took a lot to kill that Volvo.

Don't ever count on a 'Geely Volvo' achieving that...........:(

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

That's a disgrace, the turbo howling like a kicked dog.

If the thing was on its last legs with its work done, fair enough...

Thing is, for all their complications, unlike the last scrappage scheme with rust buckets held together with baling twine, many ten year old moderns are in fine shape.

Check out autosh1te.com (can't link directly cos of the swear filter) for many more UK examples, where less desireable classics were cubed in favour of new sh1tbox Korean crap.

As long as SIMI are happy, and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those Gobshytes in SIMI are lobbying to change the reg system. Talk about clutching at straws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They're not being dumped, they're being recycled. That Volvo will re-emerge as something better, more modern. In fairness it didn't take much to kill it.. I would imagine it was terminal in the first place.

My only real problem with scrappage schemes is that they are a subsidy to the motor industry, whereas I'd prefer everyone paid their way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

new cars are a joke, should be a scheme to upgrade old cars with new technology,,like a phone or pc,,, thats de future, it should be shameful to have a new car,,, just like smoking in a bar is,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I don't see why 10 year old cars are eligible for a scrappage scheme. There is nothing inherently wrong with a car of that age to deem it unsuitable for general road use. I also don't agree with the existence of a scrappage scheme in the first place but if we have to have one, then surely a car should fail the NCT to make it eligible for scrappage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

argosy2006 wrote: »
    new cars are a joke, should be a scheme to upgrade old cars with new technology,,like a phone or pc,,, thats de future, it should be shameful to have a new car,,, just like smoking in a bar is,,,,,
    There is a good reason that cars, phones and pc's have become disposable. On a big scale, it's cheaper to recycle an old car and build a new one than retrofit new kit to old cars. The software/electronics on new cars are massively complex - retrofitting them into old cars would be near impossible.

While it is bothersome to see working cars going to scrap, I think that the really good ones are safe. Some 318's might go to the scrappies, but the 10 year old M3's will be fine - they have all found their way into the hands of real car enthusiasts, who wouldn't dream of destroying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

So far we've sent 2 Corsas, 1 Rover 200 , 1 Mitsubishi Spacewagon, 1 Scenic and a Fiesta to their death via the scrappage scheme. The S/W and Scenic had loads of life in them as did the Rover ( Only 44k :( ). Its madness IMO. People are selling their souls to buy tiny sh!t boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Did you see the Irish Times motoring supplement yesterday? A perfectly good 2000 reg VW Polo being crushed. They don't even take useful parts like lights, bumpers etc off them. Green my ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I have an 12 years old Volvo and I seriously don't see any point why to scrap it, two years of NTC and all.

Many larger cars can be driven around 20-25 years before there should be need to scrap them anyway, of course a small citycar like Punto etc is not ment to be driving so long time, but for larger car, why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Old fogie near me has a 98 Corolla liftback that he wants to trade in under the scrappage. Not even 50k up on it and always serviced in Kearys since new. Madness

EPM wrote: »
    Old fogie near me has a 98 Corolla liftback that he wants to trade in under the scrappage. Not even 50k up on it and always serviced in Kearys since new. Madness

That's more or less the target, someone that has the cash but needs a nudge to go out and buy a new car, no doubt the chap wasn't really considering getting a new car until this came scheme came in, even though his car would be worth about €1500 privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

itarumaa wrote: »
    I have an 12 years old Volvo and I seriously don't see any point why to scrap it, two years of NTC and all.

Many larger cars can be driven around 20-25 years before there should be need to scrap them anyway, of course a small citycar like Punto etc is not ment to be driving so long time, but for larger car, why not.

Agree, my saab is 10 year old with plenty of life in it but I will probably be screwed with more and more car tax as the years pass forcing me to scrap it , doesn't make sense, the greens are not actually green more a muddy brown colour. ie dog****.

• Advertisement

I bought a 1997 Rover 216 Coupe during the summer, now 13 years old, loads of life in her, although she's on her 2nd engine, that's out of an R reg 400 so that's about 13 too. I'm not a new car type of person :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is a good reason that cars, phones and pc's have become disposable. On a big scale, it's cheaper to recycle an old car and build a new one than retrofit new kit to old cars. The software/electronics on new cars are massively complex - retrofitting them into old cars would be near impossible.

While it is bothersome to see working cars going to scrap, I think that the really good ones are safe. Some 318's might go to the scrappies, but the 10 year old M3's will be fine - they have all found their way into the hands of real car enthusiasts, who wouldn't dream of destroying them.

The problem is that there isn't that much energy involved in making a PC or phone. A car is 1+ tonne of steel and plastic that consumes vast amounts of energy to make and transport to our country. An older car is cleaner then a new car as it's already made.
    mcwhirter wrote: »
    Agree, my saab is 10 year old with plenty of life in it but I will probably be screwed with more and more car tax as the years pass forcing me to scrap it , doesn't make sense, the greens are not actually green more a muddy brown colour. ie dog****.

Same here I've a 10 year old car and it passed fine. My brothers 17 year old car just passed it's NCT and the tester was p!ssed off cause it was perfect and he's failed loads of modern cars.

The Green's are proving now that they aren't very Green. While the scrappage scheme may lower our CO2 levels all they are doing is increasing them somewhere else and since it's all one planet then they've actually made the world worst with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I thought scrapping cars involved removing parts and recycling what you can while keeping spares like lights etc. Or is this part and parcel to make repairing a car more expensive in comparison to scrapping the whole motor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I hadn't heard of that Cash for Clunkers scheme until now, thats unbelievable.

Then please don't search here or google for the US list of cars that were scrapped. Or maybe you should - here it is. And just for you, it includes hundreds of E38s alone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

So you have come up with the perfect business idea so... why not just offer 1500 for them when they are being traded in and resell them at a profit, if they are worth more than scrappage

And Saab Ed, you didn't just say that you sell tiny sh1tboxes did you?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

com1 wrote: »

And Saab Ed, you didn't just say that you sell tiny sh1tboxes did you?:D

Tiny, God awful, souless, crappy sh!tboxes :D

It wouldn't be so bad if the country was buying new Fiat 500's or the like but Nissan Pixo's and those poxy Hyundai / Kia things .......

unkel wrote: »
    Then please don't search here or google for the US list of cars that were scrapped. Or maybe you should - here it is. And just for you, it includes hundreds of E38s alone :(

I'm crying after reading that! :eek:

And someone scrapped a 1997 aston martin.

com1 wrote: »
    So you have come up with the perfect business idea so... why not just offer 1500 for them when they are being traded in and resell them at a profit, if they are worth more than scrappage

You'd never make money on them, you'd be classed as trading in cars and would have to provide after sales support. The owners could easily make €1500 or more on some with a tiny bit of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Saab Ed wrote: »
    It wouldn't be so bad if the country was buying new Fiat 500's or the like

I was totally opposed to the Scrappage Scheme, and I still am, even though I am likely to benefit from it later this year - with a new Fiat 500 :)

My current car - 1998 Almera diesel - is costing me 614 to tax a year, has very basic safety features, is painfully slow, and is bog standard spec with over 175k miles on the clock now. I wouldn't get close to 1,000 for it if I was to sell it privately or otherwise.

The Fiat is coming up as 11,995 for the 1.2 sport model after govt + fiat scrappage. It has all the toys I want - aircon, usb+bluetooth system, alloys/fogs, 7 airbags will be safer, slightly more frugal, and strangely only 100 extra to insure (including moving from TPFT to fully comp). Over the first 4 years I'll have saved 2,000 in tax alone, which will offset a bit of the depreciation.

I've always said I'd never buy a new car but it seems to good to pass down.
    The basic spec Pop is only 9,995 now!

I know many of the readers of this forum will rejoice the death of an N15 Almera, but it will pain me to hand it over to be condemned. It has served me well over the last 5 years, was my first car and never broke down or gave a spot of trouble. At least it wont suffer a long painful death, sob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

junkyard wrote: »
    Well it is a Volvo/Renault(

What are you talking about?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

I was amazed today to see a mint 96 BMW 318i coupe in red perfect paint work bodykit ect.. in the local scrap yard there was also a 99 escort hatch ghia which was mint with all manuals ect.. both cars were traded in on the scrapage scheme!

the boss siad he was amazed that the bmw had been traded in because the car was like new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

VolvoMan wrote: »
    What are you talking about?:rolleyes:

Indeed, isn't that a Volvo/Ford? Or a Volvo/Mitsubishi? One or the other.

Confab wrote: »
    Indeed, isn't that a Volvo/Ford? Or a Volvo/Mitsubishi? One or the other.

You must be new to this whole car thing I take it.

The first generation Volvo S80 was a car totally developed independently by Volvo and launched before Ford took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

unkel wrote: »

Arghh, a 1985 Audi Quattro and a 1991 BMW M5 and M3 scrapped. What are people thinking ?

/M

VolvoMan wrote: »
    You must be new to this whole car thing I take it.

The first generation Volvo S80 was a car totally developed independently by Volvo and launched before Ford took over.

They still reek of Renault though, stuffy passenger areas and plastic everywhere, not like the proper Volvos of old where you could take out six cars and drive home.:D

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Arghh, a 1985 Audi Quattro and a 1991 BMW M5 and M3 scrapped. What are people thinking ?

/M

They weren't IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

EPM wrote: »
    They weren't IMO

Elaborate ? They are on the list that Unkel posted, so they were proposed for scrapping. Obviously the list doesn't say if they were approved.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

....:pthinking:p

Elaborate ? They are on the list that Unkel posted, so they were proposed for scrapping. Obviously the list doesn't say if they were approved.

/M

I assume the cars on the list were scrapped. If they were scrapped it's a crying shame. I can't get the thinking of the owner as most were traded for Jap or Korean econo boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

JHMEG wrote: »
    They're not being dumped, they're being recycled. That Volvo will re-emerge as something better, more modern. In fairness it didn't take much to kill it.. I would imagine it was terminal in the first place.

My only real problem with scrappage schemes is that they are a subsidy to the motor industry, whereas I'd prefer everyone paid their way.

They fill the engines with silica sand.

I fully agree with the second point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Arghh, a 1985 Audi Quattro and a 1991 BMW M5 and M3 scrapped.

and 6 Porsche 928s :mad:

Even if non-running, these cars are worth quite a bit (but not the $4,500 the owner got if it is scrapped for a Korean sh1tbox) if to be used for parts, in the process making second hand parts cheaper. There are tens of thousands of 928s on the road in the US with very alive and active communities of owners. Hell, there are 3 highly respected companies in the US whose only business it is, is to supply 928 parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I dont see what the problem is, you trade in an older car and you get a newer, cleaner, cheaper to run, tax & insure, safer,brand new car, just to name the obvious?

I'm in two minds about trading in my car:

2001 Passat 1.8T Semi-auto tiptronic, highline, with 80k miles, mint condition with full two year NCT.

I'll nearly get 5k with a certain manufacturer, who in their right mind would give me 5k for it privately?

Then again I could just keep it? What to do because the scrappage is tempting?
    I'm leaning twoards keeping it, but I am tempted. Argh!

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I dont see what the problem is, you trade in an older car and you get a newer, cleaner, cheaper to run, tax & insure, safer,brand new car, just to name the obvious?

The problem is your car still has loads of life left and it is morally wrong to scrap something that isn't even a decade old with below average mileage.

You'd also probably nearly do better by selling privately and getting a straight deal. Depending on the car and how expensive it is, you might even get 5k off when you walk in the door.

As VolvoMan said.
    I'm in two minds about trading in my car:

2001 Passat 1.8T Semi-auto tiptronic, highline, with 80k miles, mint condition with full two year NCT.

I'll nearly get 5k with a certain manufacturer, who in their right mind would give me 5k for it privately?

Then again I could just keep it? What to do because the scrappage is tempting?
    I'm leaning twoards keeping it, but I am tempted. Argh!

Unless my calculator isn't working your car doesn't qualify. 2010 - 2001 doesn't make 10 years old.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless my calculator isn't working your car doesn't qualify. 2010 - 2001 doesn't make 10 years old.

Alright Del,

Anyway I said a particular " manufacturer", they are offering scrappage for cars 8 years and older and double scrappage on cars 10 years and older.

But Kudos on the maths.

But I certainly dont think it's "Immoral" to avail of an offer to upgrade my personal possessions?
    In my case i would be swapping a low efficency high Co2 output car for a high efficency low Co2 output car, one might say it might be "immoral" not to!

But as i said originally I will probably keep my car, but the offer is tempting.

But I certainly dont think it's "Immoral" to avail of an offer to upgrade my personal possessions? ....

Its not "Immoral" in the normal sense.

A lot of us here are car fans and its "heartbreaking" to see good "special" cars going to be crushed when there are enthusiasts crying for them.

It's sad to see any car being broken, the Merc 250 I bought out in Connemara last summer was off the road a year and for sale for months. After a service and few small jobs sorted she passed the NCT and is now rumbling around Cork City with a new owner who was very keen to buy her, I have no doubt she will be fine until the NCT expires in 2011 sometime, will probably be scrapped then, which will be a shame. I feel I rescued her :)

As found
    James wrote:
    ........... merc.jpg

and all polished up with a two year test

1.jpg

2.jpg

Its not "Immoral" in the normal sense.

A lot of us here are car fans and its "heartbreaking" to see good "special" cars going to be crushed when there are enthusiasts crying for them.

I am a car fan too, love my cars and motorsport, but there is something wrong when this is happening, but it does happen, not a lot can be done about it. But if the enthusiasts are crying out for them and the owners are still scrapping them, well then the enthusiasts will have to up their offers because there seems to be a gap?

But when I win the Lotto I'll have my 10 reg Porsche 911 Turbo in the morning and a Panamera for the family car!

Alright Del,

Anyway I said a particular " manufacturer", they are offering scrappage for cars 8 years and older and double scrappage on cars 10 years and older.

But Kudos on the maths.

OK sorry
    But I certainly dont think it's "Immoral" to avail of an offer to upgrade my personal possessions?
    In my case i would be swapping a low efficency high Co2 output car for a high efficency low Co2 output car, one might say it might be "immoral" not to!

But as i said originally I will probably keep my car, but the offer is tempting.

If you sold your own car you would more then likely get the same deal on a cash purchase and a perfectly good car can be passed onto someone who can't afford a brand new car.

Also it may be good for your pocket, and to be honest that's all people are worried about, but it's in no way better for the environment. There is a lot of energy consumed in making that new car you are getting and also in the disposal of your perfectly good car. Unless you are doing huge mileage, which no one will do in most of the cars, then it'll take a long time to even out.

OK sorry

No worries.

If you sold your own car you would more then likely get the same deal on a cash purchase and a perfectly good car can be passed onto someone who can't afford a brand new car.

Also it may be good for your pocket, and to be honest that's all people are worried about, but it's in no way better for the environment. There is a lot of energy consumed in making that new car you are getting and also in the disposal of your perfectly good car. Unless you are doing huge mileage, which no one will do in most of the cars, then it'll take a long time to even out.

The problem is nobody wants to buy my car, it just went thru the NCT just had to get lights focused (factory xenon lights BTW), simple.
    Was looking for 3.5k for it, thought it was well priced, but not one call. Off the market now.

Problem is its a turbo petrol automatic, nobody wants them, but those who have driven it love it.

Now if I was to buy a new car, I'm not asking anyone to build me one, it was built months ago, so whether I buy it or not, the building process has been complete.

What I'm saying is on a strictly Co2 / pollution stand point, by changing cars I personally will be halving the amout of Co2 I produce from my driving only. Thats all I'm saying, the construction / destruction / recycling is not part of my footprint.

And over the next 10 years this will surely help the environment, because people who are availing of this scrappage are most likely to hold onto these cars for up to a decade. This has to be good?

But what I am waiting for is the electric car, not Hydrogen because that wont happen, and it looks like Ireland is heading down the electric route with Renault / Nissan releasing around 2011, so that where I will probably make the leap.

A leap of faith maybe, but I want progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement