Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone there familiar with the Quays in Drogheda...

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

I have one query..

Does anyone know how far down Merchant's Quay you can drive before you come to the gate for the port?

If you look at this map.. http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/drogheda/628126342528684625, can you drive down to just before Steam Packet Quay or is the gate to the port at the previous junction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

You can't get onto Steampacket Quay. The gate is at the junction with the left turn onto North Strand at the end of Merchant's Quay. You have to turn left there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thanks a million for that - was thinking that but just couldn't picture the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

Yes, there is a second turn-off further up but the port company took control of that years ago and blocked it off. I think that access to the port was another victim of the Celtic Tiger. When I was a kid my friends and I could go down and watch the ships being unloaded and a few times we were allowed to board the ship and have a tour. In those days you could walk all the way from the Sound Shop to Donor's Green along the quay without any difficulty. Not possible today but I suppose security is an issue and there were one or two big fires down there when wood cargo was set alight.

Advertisement