Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway (visiting)

Options
  • 14-01-2010 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey, Just asking for some advice.
    Me and a few mates are planning on a trip when we are finished our leaving cert, and its up to me to plan it, on a budget. So can anyone advise me on cheap hostels, bars, things to do etc..? all advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 biglittlebill

Sorry the trip is to Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Sleepzone is a nice hostel, you can get little self-catering apartments with a kitchen, 3/4 rooms ans a tv!! http://www.sleepzone.ie/

It's in the city centre too. Other ones are Kinley and I think snoozles or somethin like that!

Bars - what kinda music/scene are you into? There's something for everyone!

Things to do... um..... drink?! check out this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280266

Galways fantastic, you'll have a great time :)

Cool thanks. well we are all into Heavy metal but anything will do really. Is galway expensive compared to other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Best pubs are probably Sally Longs, or Roisín Dubh/Blue Note I would imagine. They should all be on google maps! :)

Price wise, it's cheaper than Dublin but by no means cheap. Not sure what the going rate is of pints.... I drink before heading out. That way, if I do have to buy a drink, I don't really pay attention to the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are you sure, Tuams lovely this time of year.

All the galway hostels are on www.hostelworld.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Cool thanks. well we are all into Heavy metal but anything will do really. Is galway expensive compared to other places?

Its not cheap but you should be able to get a pint for under four euro. The roisin or de burgos are possibly the best places to look for music. There are lots of hostels.

Under €4?! That is amazingly cheep! The cheapest i have found over here is €4.80!. oh and thanks for all the replies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Drink prices depend on what you drink. If you're into metal I'd definitely suggest you head to Sally Longs for a while. They do pints of Bavaria for €3 as far as I can remember and bottles of Miller for the same price. Their spirits are cheap too, a whiskey and lemonade is €4 and I'm guessing vodka etc are the same price.

The Roisin does pints of Bavaria for €3.40, Guinness for €4.20 (I think) and I'd say most of their other pints would be under a fiver. Prices in the Blue Note and Massimos (in the same area, they usually have good music and a decent crowd) are the same but I don't think they sell Bavaria.

If you're going clubbing I'd suggest Cuba, they usually play some decent kinda alternative music along with some chart stuff and they've always got drink offers on. You do have to pay in on Saturdays though, I think it's around a fiver.

I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Sally Longs is the only proper metal bar in the city. They no longer do Baveria but have a tasty lager called Sally's Brew. Pints of Guinness €3.70 and think Bud, Heineken etc is €4.40. More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Keep an eye on these for metal gigs, club nights etc:
    http://www.myspace.com/usvsthemgalway
    http://screamformegalway.proboards.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Sorry, just something that annoys me- why do you start a thread in 'Galway City' just entitled 'Galway'?

It' not really giving anyone a hint as to what your thread is about really.
    If people get e-mail notifications, rss subscription to 'Galway City' then all you get is the thread titles; next time please provide some more info in your heading.....

dinneenp wrote: »
    Sorry, just something that annoys me- why do you start a thread in 'Galway City' just entitled 'Galway'?

It' not really giving anyone a hint as to what your thread is about really.
    If people get e-mail notifications, rss subscription to 'Galway City' then all you get is the thread titles; next time please provide some more info in your heading.....

Sorry, just something that annoys me- why do you post a reply in "Galway" thread complaining about something largely irrelevent to anything.. ie. Off Topic. And not only that, OP clearly isn't or is going to be a regular in the Galway City forum if he's coming here for one weekend.
    It's not in any charter and I'm going to be purposefully vague with my thread titles from now on, just because I can. :cool:

OP, head to Sallys, Roisin Dubh and upstairs Cuba if you're up one of the nights it's open.. Drink Fosters/Bavaria and if you want a 2euro pint of Tennents, head to Hole in the Wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Added a bit to the title to clarify what thread is about.
    OP, did you read the sticky: "Pubs/clubs/eats/fun things/links"?

It's not in any charter and I'm going to be purposefully vague with my thread titles from now on, just because I can.

Last point- the more vague a title is the less people that will read the thread so the less replies/answers you'll get.....

This thread was the only one that grabbed my interest on the whole Galway Forum.. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yea i Read the Pubs and clubs Thread, It was very helpful. oh and thanks for all the help.

And the reason i posted the title as "Galway" was because we are not all Imaginative and good at talking to random people. And in my experience i always read the more vague titles, so sorry i f i somehow "offended" you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sally Longs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Its not cheap but you should be able to get a pint for under four euro. The roisin or de burgos are possibly the best places to look for music. There are lots of hostels.

A pint of what? And where? You must be talking Guinness.

Cheapest I get Heineken for is 4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

kraggy wrote: »
    A pint of what? And where? You must be talking Guinness.

Cheapest I get Heineken for is 4.50.

Bavaria, Fosters, Tennents and Sally's Brew are all under 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Why on earth would you go to galway when all the funs in Dublin??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You bring this up just to slag Galway? My finger is hovering the ban-button...

Btw, Belfast sucks Glasgow rule ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

sally longs ftw...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Roisin Dubh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sally long's is a pretty good metal bar. Haven't been in ages but its always a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The Sally's Brew is deeeeeelicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sally long's is a pretty good metal bar. Haven't been in ages but its always a laugh.

The one time I was in there (with a load of Boardsies too, including Doc Bock above) these teenaged punks (male und female) who were hoping to have sex in the cubicle stall next to the urinal (where I was barely standing) were interrupted by a bouncer. Go there.

The one time I was in there (with a load of Boardsies too, including Doc Bock above) these teenaged punks (male und female) who were hoping to have sex in the cubicle stall next to the urinal (where I was barely standing) were interrupted by a bouncer. Go there.

Go to the pub or to the cubicle and hope to get lucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

dinneenp wrote: »
    Go to the pub or to the cubicle and hope to get lucky?

Both.

Advertisement