Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPs in the Athenry area

Options
  • 14-01-2010 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Well, currently we are on a 1mb connection from Airwire... Really, its not good enough.

Is there any other ISPs that have better speeds available in the Athenry locality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

What's an ISP when it's at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭LowOdour

dec25532 wrote: »
    What's an ISP when it's at home?

ISP = Internet Service Provider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

There is www.lightnet.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DubberRuckie

We're with Eircom and it's good.. No waiting.

Its fairly cheap too.

Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

We're with Vodafone. 7Mb for €45 per month for broadband, line rental, local calls etc.(includes a discount as I'm a Vodafone bill pay customer).

Was with imagine before that and they were always excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Eircom does 3mbps on ADSL I think, for around 45-50 pm. Or if you don't want a line, another friend there has 7.1 mbps for prob 20 a month from an O2 USB dongle. Vodafone and 3 do these too but I think the 3 coverage there isnt great, my daughter tried it but brought it back and went to Eircom. O2 are advertising a trial offer at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I didn't think my question warranted a thread of its own.

Mr Man - Are you happy with Vodafone Broadband ?
    How did the transfer from Eircom work out ? Much downtime etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,244 ✭✭✭✭km79

im living just outside athenry too had 2 get airwire as noone else covered area at the time im paying 30 a month for 1mb which is grand unless its windy!!!!! im waiting for imagine to roll out there next gen wifi internet . its going to be same price but way faster. i registered on their website cos the more that register in a given area the quicker it comes there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I have friends moving to that general area in the near future and definitely reliable broadband access is a concern. Personally I have found all "dongle" approaches very slow and unreliable no matter what part of the country I'm in. Also Eircom seem to be offering high speed dialup connections compared to the likes of NTL.

What I would like to see are some genuine stats on performance. Could some of you in the area run some benchmark tests via www.speedtest.net so we can get a less subjective view on the value of services in the area. I ask this because I have met people who think they have a great broadband connection only to realise later that what they had was well below average.

AdvTHANKSance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

702504906.png

02 usb dongle, reception not as good this evening as it can be, normally fine, run a busy website and maintain it from home with not too many problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

what kind of speeds would you normally get with the O2 dongle? Are vodafone or 3 any better?

@a123, thank you for your test results. As I suspected your performance is terrible. Its a farce that they say broadband is available in rural areas. Even Athenry is a commuter town of Galway and still get that sort of service. It drives me mad. I dont live there myself, but my life would change if I didn't have access to higher bandwidths. I know that might sound a bit sa, but I have so many devices and uses for broadband at home I couldnt live without it.Either should you guys.

Its not like ye're being fleeced, there is no quality or value of service in rural areas and it drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

JCB1 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but I didn't think my question warranted a thread of its own.

Mr Man - Are you happy with Vodafone Broadband ?
    How did the transfer from Eircom work out ? Much downtime etc ?

Vodafone is fine.

Transfer from Imagine was hassle free. No downtime at all.

Could you post up your benchmark results so we can see how "fine" it is?

Is anyone in the area getting anything above 10Mbit per second?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I work with a guy that knows someone in Lightnet.

Seemingly they plan to/are in the process off upgrading to WiFi.

Might be worthwhile checking out.

Trig

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

You poor buggers.

711869552.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Triangle wrote: »
    I work with a guy that knows someone in Lightnet.

Seemingly they plan to/are in the process off upgrading to WiFi.

Might be worthwhile checking out.

Trig

sure would be if their wifi claims are true
    Special Offer: ATHENRY

New home starter service available in Athenry (other areas coming on line soon) Get on line with our new Airmax service, 512Mb down and 256Mb up and no limits for only €19.99 per month Inc VAT.
    Price does not include installation, this offer does not apply to the WiMax service, all normal terms and conditions apply.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DvFrn

I'm using digiweb and its not bad.

People FFS this thread seems to be full of misinformed posts regarding what constitutes value for money for broadband.

The standard benchmark on these boards is to use speedtest.net to measure performance. Any posts regarding value without stats are purely subjective and are not conveying the message you intended.

I am tired of hearing about "special offers", that turn out to be "special" in a very bad way. Please please please post stats and let others decide on how good or bad it is.

Its a lovely area but I would really like to see some decent broadband stats.

Advertisement