Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with course please?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey everyone I am currently trying to make a decision on what to put down on my CAO and i am looking for help I heard the people on this website are very help full. anyway this is going to be a long one so stick with me and give me some input/help if you can. thanks!!

ok so i have a few courses in mind, the following are the courses im interested in production management (LM063), product design and technology (LM076)
    ok so i sent e-mails to the course heads as well but i want some other peoples input
    1) im up to about an A standard in pass maths for the leaving and im just wondering is the maths in these course very difficult i know there is technological maths?
    2) whats engineering science like is that hard im up to a B standard for the leaving in honors physics? should i be ok with this.
    3) Manufacturing Technology 1? i have no idea what this is any help?
    4) what are the jobs prospects like for graduates of these courses ( i know in the current climate no one is getting jobs but when the recession is over will there be a demand?)

I am also thinking about some of the chemistry course in U.L but im not doing chemistry for the leaving ( i got interested in it by reading my friends books) if i did a chemistry course would i get away with not doing it for the leaving?and also whats science maths like is it very tough? as ive said im up to about an A standard in pass maths.

thanks for reading this and any input into these courses or any of the modules of this course would be really help full, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

As an Arts student myself, I can't really be of any help to you except for the fact that I have three friends doing Product Design & Technology who love it, but say that there are a lot of hours and projects involved in it.
    I think it's somewhere along the lines of 30 hours a week.

That being said, if you're into being hands on and actually making stuff in your own spare time, I'm sure that course would interest you. My friend was telling me that in first year they had to create their own wine rack with their own improvements ect.

As for Maths and Chemistry... you're looking at the wrong guy; I'm all words words words.
    Regardless, best of luck in the leaving cert, and should you end up coming to UL I know you'll enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I've sent a link to this thread off to a friend who happens to be doing the Product Design, if he has any tips I'm post them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 razzlero

Hi there.

As Zeouterlimit's request I'm here ^^

I'm currently in second year of product design.

I got a B1 in pass maths about 3 years before starting this course and so far I've been able to manage. Overall the maths aren't too bad. Though having said that The maths lecturers I've had seem to be pretty good at teaching maths compared to other lecturers and teachers I've had. You will do a particularly large amount of maths that revolve around forces such as vectors and accelleration and calculating the strength of a material.

Manufacturing technology basicaly revolves around the technology involved in manafacutring. IN other words you learn how things like welders and saws and bolts work and about safety precautions in using them. (But you'll learn an especially rge amount about welding for some reason)

When we went in we were told that the previous graduates were having no problems finding jobs, and as far as I know there's relatively good prospects for jobs, though I can't say for certain as I haven't actually gone looking for a job myself.

Overall the course is enjoyable. And because there's a lost of continual assessment you don't have to worry as much about exams... but I will say because of that the course is actually a lot of work and you'll find it eating into your free time. BUt having said that the work is enjoyable provided you don't leave it last minute and stress out and miss sleep trying to catch a deadline.
    On another positive note product design tries to mimic an actual product design work enviroment to a certain extent where everyone has their own desks and can talk with one another freely while working or even talk to other classes while working.

Hopefully I was able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

hey im a first year of product design and i love it so far anyway :D
    if you like working with your hands and problem solving in general then you'll love this course.
    there is a good bit of work involved when it comes up to the deadline of a project but most of the fun is when there's a good crowd in the studio after hours tryin to get a project done so even thats not so bad :D
    so far in 1st year the most maths we'v done is in engineering science which is mostly to do with calculating forces and acceleration and stuff like that. i only got a B1 in pass maths and im doing fine. and if your doing physics then you should be sorted!
    manufacturing is mostly to do with workin with machines such as lathes and milling machines. it starts out fairly basic so you'll be grand.

hope that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DR.ZOIDBERG

thanks everyone! just another question do many girls tend to do this course or is it mainly fellas?

anyone else that can help me out with my original post it would be much appreciated! thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

At the minute there are only 3 girls in my year. There were 5 but 2 dropped out.

I think there have been slightly more girls each other year but it is still mostly males that do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boredonboard

Hey ... if u like science try the new Bsc in energy, Physics students seem to love it and there's loadsa choices as the course progresses.... have a look at it .. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

can any1 give me info on

FINANCIAL MATHS

asap PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DR.ZOIDBERG

thanks for the replys everyone, I just have a few more questions about this course if youd be so kind

1) besides project work how many hours per week are there in this course (labs, tuts, lectures)?

2) I didnt do art for the leaving but i did it for the junior, will this have a big impact on me in this course ( i sholud pick it up fast enough when i start anyway)

thanks in advance!

I never did art at all and I'm managing. It does show that my sketches aren't as good as the more experienced artists but I get by and I make up for it in other areas. (And I'm always improving)

Hours can vary a bit. I have about 15 hours of lectures this semester but on top of that I have some other blocks of time on my time table which we don't have lectures or labs, but they're on our time table to make sure we have blocks of 3 or 4 hours set aside for doing work.
    I think I had more hours of actual lectures in first year though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement