Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Piano

• 14-01-2010 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im interested in learning to play piano. I'm just wondering - is it something that anyone can do or so you have to have a particular talent for it?

What is the average price for lessons in Dublin?

p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I started learning myself since christmass and have been getting on pretty good. I'm sure some people would naturally be better at it then others (I have pretty small hands for instance so it's extremely hard for me to play some chords in anyway comfortably, which means I'll probably never be as good as some people but I already have 7 or 8 easyish songs under my belt) but there is no reason that if you are willing to put in the effort at learning it that you won't be able to. It's no different to learning cabinet making for example, it basically all comes down to practice.

Google piano lessons dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Its definitely something everyone can do. If you've got willingness to learn and practice you'll surprise yourself at the progress you can make. Probably about 20-30e per lesson(guess). The internet is a great source for learning piano

also try http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ they've tons of advice in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

do it ,

i took me 20 years before i decided to do it and its a great insturment
    ( i taught myself drums , guitar and bass before this , and couldnt get my head around piano - but its actually quite easy to pick up )

the web has loads of tips and lessons .

start off finding all the main chords , and off you go .

I tend to just play chords with the right hand and complementary bass note and its high octave ( ie play a c chord with right and with the left play a low c and a high c at same time to fill out the low end.

this will get you going

you can play f g a minor c all with three right hand fingers same pattern

and just add the bass octaves underneath

loads of tunes based on this .

see here

http://musiced.about.com/od/lessonsandtips/ss/pianochords3_5.htm

http://musiced.about.com/od/lessonsandtips/ss/pianochords1_2.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm looking to get lessons in town.

I have a piano at home which also needs tuning which I intend to practice on. I'm based on george's street in dublin. Is waltons school of music any good? If it's anything like its store then I will be looking elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm looking to get lessons in town.

I have a piano at home which also needs tuning which I intend to practice on. I'm based on george's street in dublin. Is waltons school of music any good? If it's anything like its store then I will be looking elsewhere.

If they're anything like the shop then I doubt it. Probably better off getting someone who knows what they're doing to tune it. I don't think it's as easy as tuning a guitar. ;)

This crowd http://www.thepianogallery.ie/ will do it. Apparently costs around 100euro. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Go for it.

As far as lessons go, decide whether you want to just play for fun or get grades and see that as your achievement - make sure your teacher knows what you want to get out of it. Some piano teachers are purely grade oriented, that might suit you, or it might not.

Either way, go for it. The only talent you need is your interest in learning, and practicing, something new. Learning piano is a great goal to set yourself at any age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dord wrote: »
    If they're anything like the shop then I doubt it. Probably better off getting someone who knows what they're doing to tune it. I don't think it's as easy as tuning a guitar. ;)

This crowd http://www.thepianogallery.ie/ will do it. Apparently costs around 100euro. :confused:

yeh tuning is expensive but I don't mind paying that much for the right tuner as you said not everyone can tune a piano like a guitar. For the tuner I was just going get the yellow pages and pick one in my area mentioned waltons purely for the lessons part.
    F-Stop wrote: »
    Go for it.

As far as lessons go, decide whether you want to just play for fun or get grades and see that as your achievement - make sure your teacher knows what you want to get out of it. Some piano teachers are purely grade oriented, that might suit you, or it might not.

Either way, go for it. The only talent you need is your interest in learning, and practicing, something new. Learning piano is a great goal to set yourself at any age.

I suppose what's made methink about learning piano is I've always loved and admired music with it in it especially from video games like final fantasy. Know I know they are quite ambious goals to start off with but suppose I'd want to learn how to read music and play chords for a starter. If that means I've got to get grades then I'm going to have to get grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I got violin lesson in waltons and i have to say i wasn't a fan. They are in classes and are expensive for what you get. I found private lessons much better for the same price, check out the sticky in classical music, it lists people giving lessons

Edit: just seen that you like final fantasy. Within a year you could be crying your eyes out to aeries theme, if you are very dedicated with your practice

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭joecc

I think you'd be better off finding a good teacher, as opposedto the internet - they're just too much info up on it, you just get addled.

Grades, are good - you're aiming for something. But it's also good to practice tunes, you really love, than you'll realise the inner satisfaction, it can bring about. Grades are fine, but often (this is personally speaking) I didn't have any knowledge of the classical pieces, they meant nothing to me....whereas you can relate immediately to a song you love....Also get a full octave piano or electric. forget those 5-Octave jobs.....they do more harm than good.

If I have any regret, it was not doing sufficient practice - try and do at least 45 mins per day, ideally an hour. Also focussing completely is my fall....)

I've resumed my quest to reach the higher grades (on Grade 6) - I'm now 30, but I just keeping looking towards the end result in a few years. It should be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

Hi all, I'm also learning piano at the moment have been trying to teach myself the basics since christmas going to start getting lessons in a few weeks. Loving the instrument!

I want try and learn some more of the basics and get to know music theory a bit better before i start with lessons. I have been using this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Bk-1-Absolute-Beginners/dp/1846096626/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269094387&sr=1-2 and have found it very helpful and managed to get through it pretty easy. Can anyone recommend a book to use that is a small step up from this that will focus a bit more on theory as well as playing?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaraMcG

I've taught people of all ages and capabilities, some people are a little slower to pick things up than others but I've not met anyone yet who couldn't learn to play piano. A good beginner's book for adults is Carol Barrett's Classic Piano Course. I'd look into getting a private teacher if you haven't already or go somewhere like Newpark Music Centre, though it is in Blackrock.

Advertisement