Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

masters finished - what now?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

jusy looking for advice, just finished my M.Sc. in pharma technology - part time, i've also a H.Dip in same subject and a b.Eng in polymer engineering. Thing is i love college and i want to keep on doing courses. a full time p.Hd is out of the question - too many financial responsibilities - never heard of a part time pHd. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on course that would compliment my current qualifications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi there,

just a quick note: there are part-time PhD's out there. Quite a few actually. There is also the chance of many full-time PhD's to be completed part-time, they just don't mention it. You'd have to talk to whoever the supervisor will be on a particular project or come up with your own project and seek out a supervisor and discuss part-time options. It's all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You could go abroad for a funded PHD?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i'm a single father so its important i stay local but good idea anyway. Anyone know the best place to find out about pHds? career guidence office in tallaght it haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The best way would probably be the career guidance offices of the universities you are interested in. I know UCD has a career guidance office for such things but also check out sites like www.postgraduateforum.com or www.findaphd.com. If you want to stay local you should check out the websites of each college/institute of technology/university you are interested in and maybe even contact the admissions offices and/or academics whose research appeals to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

good advice, thanks for the links,

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Corrected the title spelling! :)

Advertisement