Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Aus

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all -

looking for some info how does driving in aus work i have been told that you need a full license for two years.

if this is the case how long and what measures do you need to go through in order to drive in aus if you don't have a full irish license for more than 2 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Hi all -

looking for some info how does driving in aus work i have been told that you need a full license for two years.

if this is the case how long and what measures do you need to go through in order to drive in aus if you don't have a full irish license for more than 2 years

You can drive on your Irish License here no problem even if you don’t have it for more then 2 years. After 3 months in Australia technically you should apply for an Australian license but I don’t know many people who have done this or who got into any trouble for not getting the Aus license.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gerryfields

Doc wrote: »
    You can drive on your Irish License here no problem even if you don’t have it for more then 2 years. After 3 months in Australia technically you should apply for an Australian license but I don’t know many people who have done this or who got into any trouble for not getting the Aus license.
    yea i heard people basically swap alright but i also heard like all things they are clamping down on all these measures lately...would i need to start from scratch etc and what does that entail worse case senario type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

yea i heard people basically swap alright but i also heard like all things they are clamping down on all these measures lately...would i need to start from scratch etc and what does that entail worse case senario type of thing

to swap a FULL licence for a full licence you will need (EDIT I did say 4, but 3 is correct) 3 years. otherwise you will be put on the 2nd phase of 'P' plates

if you drive for more than 3 months, you'll need to get an australian one or they can fine you

check out info here
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/ (for nsw)

hussey wrote: »
    to swap a FULL licence for a full licence you will need 4 years. otherwise you will be put on the 2nd phase of 'P' plates

if you drive for more than 3 months, you'll need to get an australian one or they can fine you

check out info here
    4 yeas you're having a laugh? i heard only two max and then it's an automatic swap no questions asked.

in saying that once you have a full licence they let you drive on it well sorry they did but are clamping down 4 years is a bit long.... how does this restart affect the insurance on the car etc and what are the general costs of insurance in aus...surely not expensive as ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Gerry what license have you now?

And what state do you intend to stay.

If this is for a WHV just use your irish one or pay for a international one in the A office.

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Gerry what license have you now?

And what state do you intend to stay.

If this is for a WHV just use your irish one or pay for a international one in the A office.
    irish full way less than 2 years :) tbh never needed to go get the full didn't affect the insurance etc until the new road acts the brought in i'm older than 25 too does that help and it a WHV i'm on.

whats the best option my friend is going too he holds a provisional ovr 26 though.

whats the best option for both

irish full way less than 2 years :) tbh never needed to go get the full didn't affect the insurance etc until the new road acts the brought in i'm older than 25 too does that help and it a WHV i'm on.

whats the best option my friend is going too he holds a provisional ovr 26 though.

oh sorry QLD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh Jaysus, your friend wont 'Legally' be allowed to drive as QLD has rejigged the Drivin rules recently.

Also Dont Fvck about over here

QLD Cops are generally pig ignorant Bully boy thugs and Stealth Taxation/revenueraising enforcing our Fair and balanced traffic laws are about all most of them bother their hole with, that and beatin up youngfellas in the valley on Saturdaynights.

you may occasionally find a decent copper (I've met 3 since I've been here) but if you produce anything other than a QLD Licence, you will confuse them, which angers them, and as they cant really formulate rational thoughts ( Seriously if the could they wouldnt be Coppers) they will just zap you with their shiney new Tazers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Be jaysus, god be with the days a personn could stroll into any of the road authorities with an irish provisional & come out with a full clean oz licence....FARCE of a system or what.

Before i get slated - i did not do this nor do i condone this illegal activity, didnt have to do it as have had full licence with years.

Websites for roads authorities are reasonably good over there so take a flick on them for state licencing requirements, if i remember it can vary slighty from state to state

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Assistance_and_services/Visitors_and_new_residents/International_drivers/#When can I

seems you can on a foreign license doesn't say how many years or what type though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

3 months then they can Drag you to court

Remember thats ALL they can do, they cant take your licence, they cant make you leave yur car, they cant impound it uness you at least imply consent(now they have some rather sneaky tricks for this)

if you want to stay here longer term it IS possible to keep driving on an Irish licence by going to court and arguing your case (I wont get into the specifics) I drive on an Irish licence and I have a few friends that have English registered cars that they drive around in, even then you wil still get stichk from the coppers and end up trottin back to court to have the Judge iform this uneducated redknewck of the difference between FEDERAL and STATE Laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

irish full way less than 2 years :) tbh never needed to go get the full

didn't affect the insurance etc until the new road acts the brought in i'm older than 25 too does that help and it a WHV i'm on.

Get an International driving licence and don't bother with changing to any Queensland licence. What are you looking for pionts or something. If the Mahatma Fan club (Queensland Police) stop you just explain you are here on holiday and will only be driving a short time.

Plus they charge you to change it over. I think the changing within 3 months really applies to residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Get an International driving licence and don't bother with changing to any Queensland licence. What are you looking for pionts or something. If the Mahatma Fan club (Queensland Police) stop you just explain you are here on holiday and will only be driving a short time.

Plus they charge you to change it over. I think the changing within 3 months really applies to residents.

Obtaining an australian licence is useful when driving back in Eire also, so worthwhile IMO....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Once your over 25 in QLD and have a full licence you're fine. It's only NSW that have stupid rules. Your friend with the provisional on the other hand is not going to have it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

I got a W.A. licence. I had my Irish one 3 weeks shy of the 2 years so they had to put a P plates note on it. No big deal. I got the licence for pure convenience. Easy I.D. to carry around and renting a car is much easier. Used it to get my video membership card and even had to produce it to get cold medication a while back.
    If your here on a W.H.V. I think its acceptable to drive with just the Irish one as long as its valid etc. but not sure for how long. Heard the usual stories from friends of friends but not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I strongly reccommend driving on your irish licence as long as possible if you are only renting cars but may want to stay on in Oz eventually.
    I reckon you show this any time required ( provided it is not a major incident ) as the speed enforcement here is so much more stringent than at home.

As some one eluded to they have no issues with stealth speed checks, literally hiding in bushes and its even worse in Victoria where "safety cameras" are bloody everywhere.

I have picked up 3 points in 2 years but got 9 more in the space of 2 week recently, got a new car and could not resist a bit of a spurt on empty christmas roads ! I got a few nice photographic souvenirs that I never saw coming though :mad:
    Fortunately after 12 point you do not lose your licence and have a few more second chances.

Insurance is WAY cheaper BTW as well and of course fuel is dirt cheap relative to home.

to swap a FULL licence for a full licence you will need 4 years. otherwise you will be put on the 2nd phase of 'P' plates

check out info here
    4 yeas you're having a laugh? i heard only two max and then it's an automatic swap no questions asked.

in saying that once you have a full licence they let you drive on it well sorry they did but are clamping down 4 years is a bit long.... how does this restart affect the insurance on the car etc and what are the general costs of insurance in aus...surely not expensive as ireland

sorry I got it wrong, it is 3 years for a full NSW license, not 4
    full < 12months = P1
    Full > 12 months < 3 years = P2
    > 3 years = full NSW
    from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html
    If you have held your driver or rider licence for less than 12 months, you will be issued a NSW provisional P1 licence. If you have held your driver licence for more than 12 months but less than three years, a provisional P2 licence will be issued. If you have held your drivers licence for more than three years, you will be issued with a NSW unrestricted licence.

writetojd wrote: »
    If your here on a W.H.V. I think its acceptable to drive with just the Irish one as long as its valid etc. but not sure for how long. Heard the usual stories from friends of friends but not 100% sure.

correct http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/visitorstonsw/overseaslicence.html
    As a temporary overseas visitor, if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive in NSW on your overseas licence as long as:
    * You remain a temporary overseas visitor
    * Your overseas licence remains current
    * You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and
    * You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

You are not required to obtain a NSW licence if you comply with these conditions and can continue to prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police if required.

temp resident is WVH, Holiday visa and 457

Best option for you is to keep the irish one (see above post) best option for your mate is either not drive or apply for P license, his Irish prov means nothing over here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Best option for you is to keep the irish one (see above post) best option for your mate is either not drive or apply for P license, his Irish prov means nothing over here

My mate was over visiting his mum for Christmas and was stoped driving his mum’s car. He only had the Irish provisional; he was stopped for having his mobile phone in his hand. The cop fined him for holding the phone but said noting about the license. This was only about 2 weeks ago in Perth he got a $250 fine it was double fines and demerits over the Christmas period and would have got double points too but as it was an Irish license that didn’t happen.

I’d say your mate would be fine to drive as long as you are in the car with him. Just don’t speed or brake any rules of the road and your license shouldn’t ever become an issue.
    Me and my mate drove all the way from Perth to Corral Bay (about a 14 hour straight drive). He drove all the way there and back as I can’t drive and only had his provisional license. We didn’t see a cop once but they would have had no reason to stop us even if we did see one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You don't nee an International Driving Licence unless your licence is non-english which is that case you need to carry your international AND your original Driving Licence at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ha , everytime one of these threads come up it reminds me of the fact that I worked into a real Outback driving centre handed over my provisional licence which was VERY neared expired gave a bit of diddly deee , top of the morning malerky and walked out with a full australian Licence which i still use today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mutlie

hi all, does any1 know what size trucks does a c licence allow me to drive in aus .are the restrictions the same there as here??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

mutlie wrote: »
    hi all, does any1 know what size trucks does a c licence allow me to drive in aus .are the restrictions the same there as here??????

It allows you to have a full car license. No state will transfer anything bigger than a car. You will have to resit your test over here to get your HR

Advertisement