Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passed test afew years back but looking to do advanced driving course

• 14-01-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Is there any advanced driving courses in Ireland to really hone your skills?

Is there any advantages to these aside from the skills? ie insurance

What do they cost?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Contact the Instuitute of Advanced Motorists - I believe they have offices in Kilkenny. I'm an advanced driver and would recommend these courses to everyone.

You should also consider doing a skid car course <SNIP>.....I'm going to book one soon.

IMO, courses like these/Compulsory training should be part of every drivers learning before doing their test.
    For example, in Finland learner drivers have do complete c.20 hours of tuition including skid control before taking their test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Might be worth picking up a copy of Roadcraft, the Police advanced driving manual? I just starting going through it, it's got all the advanced road driving theory you'll need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Try these lads, <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

sorry about that, hadn't read the charter for every forum on boards. Get a copy of Roadcraft, t's all in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Do advanced driving courses make your insurance cheaper?

What about the Hibernian Ignition course/test? Is it the same as an advanced driving course?

I'm still on a Learner Permit, but I'm insured with Hib. Aviva. Is it unusual for people to do the Ignition course not too long after they get their full licence (assuming I get my full licence!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

I have done the IAM course and Hibernian offer 30% off for life with it.
    The IAM have recently closed their office in Ireland but they are trying to set up an affiliated interest group here now.
    There is also IAM Surety who offer motor insurance to qualified drivers and I'm expecting a really good quote from them any day now.
    I got to do the course back in 2003 and I found it very helpful and would recommend it to everyone.

Advertisement