Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog Horn

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the fog in the harbour incredibly loud tonight?!

There also seems to be a second fog horn tonight as well, both keeping me wide awake!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah its especially loud tonight and im in raheny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I hate the fog horn! I can never sleep when it's going off.... baaaaah!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Whoa, Raheny!

Never realised you could it that far off! I have a friend who lives down beside the harbour, really don't know how they get a wink of sleep when the fog horn is blaring all night long!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Been noticing it a lot louder and I'm in Cabinteely.

The second one is probably Dublin Port.

Sound will travel better in fog as there is more water in the air and water conducts sound better (or something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

So that's what that was. I could hear it at around 4/5am last night. It wasn't that loud, just enough to keep you awake, there's something unsettling about that noise. I'm halfway between DCU and Finglas. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Jesus, thank Jebus thats what it was......thought it was the mrs having a sneaky ppaaarrp under the duvet.....yep could also hear it in the 'Brack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

bubblefett wrote: »
    I hate the fog horn! I can never sleep when it's going off.... baaaaah!:mad:

I like it - it puts me right to sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I like it too. It becomes part of the atmosphere of the place after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

It's been quite loud (I'm in cabinteely) in the last 24 hrs, I assume this is the weather ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Every 30 seconds "HRMMMMMMM"

I quite like it.

• Advertisement

I hadn't even noticed it until someone in work said it was wrecking their head, sure then I couldn't hear anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I hadn't even noticed it until someone in work said it was wrecking their head, sure then I couldn't hear anything else!
    The+Fog+%281980%29.jpg

It's been going for hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

was on all night last night as well

our fridge makes a very similar noise at time when the coolant pump starts up. Its odd

I'm unfollowing this thread now.
    Again, hadn't even flippin well noticed the bloody thing until this showed up on my thread list >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grumpy old woman

Makes me feel safe. I was born within 5 minutes of the East Pier and have lived all my 66 years in Dun Laoghaire, and the foghorn is a comforting sound when I'm nice and snug in my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I really miss the fog horn. It should be sounding tonight but isn't :( I always thought of it as the sound of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

i live in sandymount and i sometime still hear some sorta horn out in the bay, even since they stopped all the fog horns!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Always liked the fog horn.
    Sounds strange but there was something comforting and reassuring about it.

If you get the Pat Kenny show podcasts there did a slot on it in January.
    The usual cranks out walking their dogs used to complain to the staff.
    Like bothering their dogs was more important then sounding the horn.:rolleyes: All over now anyway

In its absence what measures where put in place to protect & aid small craft?
    Would I be right in assuming there were none?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

None
    The port staff on the Pat Kenny show had statistics that all craft, even small ones had access to GPS.

They took away the fog horn but didn't add anything.

The equipment doesn't realy cost anything to maintain and the staff are in place.
    Just a decision was made

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I miss it...have to say:( Was like a comfort blanket of sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

18 months in Dun Laoghaire and haven't heard a peep. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

If anyone is online now, I could swear I just heard the bay foghorn... anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You didn't, they've all been decommissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

It could have been the Irish Lights vessel Granuaile, which is currently in Dun Laoghaire.

She went out to assist in the panpan from the yacht on Saturday, and let out a belt from a 'fog horn', as the incident was near the harbour mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was sure I heard the fog horn the other night myself - in Dalkey. I miss it, even though I'm a blow-in.

Advertisement