Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocked CPU vs PSU

Options
  • 14-01-2010 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Heya,

Just looking for some information really,

Im waiting on a Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply for a new build, Which will be used to run this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-012-OB

Will this be powerfull enough or should I go for a higher one?

Also looking at some GTX295's, Will the 650 be man enough to take on such a card?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Yes it will have enough.

So you are planning on making a very high end build...
    I suppose you'll be gaming right? You might aswell tell us the resolution of your screen and what games you were hoping to play

If you haven't bought this stuff already don't. Great tech with not such a great price, also ocuk charge the irish vat rate at checkout (in case you didn't know).

In terms of graphics card ATI are offering much better value for money right now and just plain better performing cards in general! A few nice features which someone who's building a system like yours might like to look into! eyefinity means you can operate 6 different screens from a single gpu, or more likely just three, they also offer audio over hdmi which only a few Nvidia cards have. oh yeah and dx11 :p

The 5870 is the best single gpu offering right now, with the 5970 the undisputed champ of high end.

btw 295's seemed to have disappeared from the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Heya,

Cheers for the advice. I`v been planning this build for a long long time, Well, Christmas 08.

I`v held off so long cause I knew something like the i5 was comming.
    almost the same as the i7 for performance, better overclocking abilities with the only problem being it being slightly under in its ability to multi-thread. And much cheaper!

Would love the i7, But the i5 the way OcUK provide it, is everything I need and more.

I`m staying away from ATI and Radeon this time, As I always build systems with these guys, I wanted to give nVidia a chance this time, Since my first build was nVidia and pleased me the most.
    Also Radeon only produce better frame-rate`s when playing at higher resolution which does`nt concern me for the moment. But probably worth looking for.

The pc is going to be used for gaming and music production. Mainly music tough.

I have most the parts so far, Just waiting to decide on what GFX card to go for tbh :)

OH, I tired making this system through allot of other sites and they are no comparison to OCuK, unless I went american / korean, but I have delt with OCuK before and they just cant be beaten for service, quality and reliability.
    Im building this system for 40%-50% cheaper then if I was to buy from Irish retailers, Which is very unfortunate as all my other big builds were sourced locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

OH, I tired making this system through allot of other sites and they are no comparison to OCuK, unless I went american / korean, but I have delt with OCuK before and they just cant be beaten for service, quality and reliability.
    Im building this system for 40%-50% cheaper then if I was to buy from Irish retailers, Which is very unfortunate as all my other big builds were sourced locally.

ok well,

You're talking about €50+ difference in the price when you go for the ocuk bundle over other competitors(ebuyer.com). A lot of people would disagree that they have good service, i've heard they are good until there's a problem(then again who isn't).

komplett.ie(Irish-ish) would actually price these components better + They have a pick-up point near enough to dublin.

It's nigh on impossible to notice any difference between 60fps(frames/second) and 120fps when playing a game. Supposedly anything over 30fps is playable.

It would be really nice to know what resolution your screen is as something for around €150 may be wiser.

some more info:
    Nvidia's cards use more power than the new series of ati equivalents.
    Ati's new series also runs much cooler

I don't know but i'd presume you'll want your pc quiet? For your sound work n' stuff. So, have you got a case yet? And how quiet is that corsair cooler.
    Can anyone comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Why get a very powerful and expensive GFX card like the GTX295 when you'll mainly be using your PC for music? You should look at the option of getting an GTX285(Still an immense GFX card) and with the money saved get an I7 setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Why get a very powerful and expensive GFX card like the GTX295 when you'll mainly be using your PC for music? You should look at the option of getting an GTX285(Still an immense GFX card) and with the money saved get an I7 setup?

I've a 285, even playing at 1080p it's more than enough for most of the games I play. If gaming isn't the priority I'd say a 275 at most tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Strange, I thought OCuk was one of the more expensive places, what with the 21% added at the checkout.. you would be paying more than some Irish retailers like komplett, even pixmania.

I wouldn't even look at US or Korea, too much tax. The cheapest European sites are the likes of ebuyer.com and hardwareversand.de, but don't look at them if you've just forked out at OCuk ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jonny72 wrote: »
    than some Irish retailers like komplett, even pixmania.

Just because they have a .ie website doesn't mean they are Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just because they have a .ie website doesn't mean they are Irish.

Yeah but they are delivering the goods from Ireland are they? do they have a pickup point like komplett?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you do not plan on playing games then a high end card is madness, I mean any of the 5xxx series cards would be the way to go. I mean weather u like ATi or not you are buying old tech for a new build. There is nothing better then a new build as it gives you a rare chance to get ahead of the game instead of always playing catch up. Components in PCs get old very very quickly...so my advice would be get a 5xxx series card even a 57xx series.

You could also get a good Asus Mobo with X-fi on board and save money on a sound card.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

jonny72 wrote: »
    Yeah but they are delivering the goods from Ireland are they? do they have a pickup point like komplett?

I dont think that pixmania have a warehouse here, the nearest is probably in england, same for dabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you do not plan on playing games then a high end card is madness, I mean any of the 5xxx series cards would be the way to go. I mean weather u like ATi or not you are buying old tech for a new build. There is nothing better then a new build as it gives you a rare chance to get ahead of the game instead of always playing catch up. Components in PCs get old very very quickly...so my advice would be get a 5xxx series card even a 57xx series.

You could also get a good Asus Mobo with X-fi on board and save money on a sound card.....
    we dont see you here much mate and ur head full of knowledge

Advertisement