Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Deporting Irish for Visa Fraud

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

So the farmer don't take free cash for signing a form?
    Some may, that may be where the initial red flag came from, but most NO, Farmers want Workers, thats why the scheme is in place, most farmers expect you to do the work, however you dont have to do the 3 months in one place or in one go, you can if you wish intersperse bouts of hard labour with bouts of faffin about spendin your Hard earned cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i cant wait to see the next series of border cops in oz, chasing some tomato faced paddy around strawberry fields.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Some may, that may be where the initial red flag came from, but most NO, Farmers want Workers, thats why the scheme is in place, most farmers expect you to do the work, however you dont have to do the 3 months in one place or in one go, you can if you wish intersperse bouts of hard labour with bouts of faffin about spendin your Hard earned cash :)

But was there such an overload of people to carry out the farmers work that the farmer decided to have some cream for himself and accept money from people?
    The law in Ireland is you go after the dealer not the guy who purchases, maybe in Oz they use the easier route.
    They must have very honest farmers in Oz then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Beachband wrote: »

The honesty of farmers in Australia, migrants from Eastern Europe and visa applicants from Asia take nothing away from the fact that Irish folk have taken it upon themselves to commit fraud. Simple as that.

But was there such an overload of people to carry out the farmers work that the farmer decided to have some cream for himself and accept money from people?
    The law in Ireland is you go after the dealer not the guy who purchases, maybe in Oz they use the easier route.

Some may have, like I said. But they would be a small minority, and they WILL be punished, this is not Ireland mate No One is above the law here.

they do have some very honest farmers, decent salt of the earth folk, that many of these schemin backpackers would do well to sit down and spend some time with, coulds go a long way to them gleanin an understandin of the concept of an Honest days work

• Advertisement

Some may have, like I said. But they would be a small minority, and they WILL be punished, this is not Ireland mate No One is above the law here.

they do have some very honest farmers, decent salt of the earth folk, that many of these schemin backpackers would do well to sit down and spend some time with, coulds go a long way to them gleanin an understandin of the concept of an Honest days work

As I have said previously, I don't condone or condemn these people, sure some simply couldn't be bothered doing the 3 months, some eejits followed them, some farmers were quite happy to go along with it as well.
    But my main point is - these are young folk - and maybe allot were led astray by those who ''knew people'' etc who could take care of their 2nd whv(the easy route).
    Maybe its a lesson to those then who only saw the Tiger years in Ireland, were never grafting or proving themselves in their employment when they worked in Ireland, then went to Oz with their WHV and took the ole handy route there as well
    cos that is all they knew of their time in Ireland before they left - easiness.

Dont buy that for a second, they were lazy and greedy and they got what they deserved.

and like I said dont worry about the farmers, anyone proven to have been complicit in fraud will face SEVERE penalties

Dont buy that for a second, they were lazy and greedy and they got what they deserved.

and like I said dont worry about the farmers, anyone proven to have been complicit in fraud will face SEVERE penalties

Are they not a product of this fake Tiger though that Ireland has had?
    Its no wonder they don't want to work or graft for it(they had easiness before they left these Irish shores), I'm just trying to understand it, cos as far as I know this sort of thing didn't really exist before the Tiger died.

I'm just trying to understand it, cos as far as I know this sort of thing didn't really exist before the Tiger died.

Nah, we've always been ones for the shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My best friend is out in Oz at the min & put in her 3 months on farms in case she wanted to stay another year (decided not to in the end). She just did a couple of weeks in different places & then a long stint in one where they let them have days off to go travelling round but still made sure she had over the 3 months in days worked up. I have no sympathy for people who cheat the system & get caught. If you wanted to stay then do it properly and get over yourself.

I stayed in this "hell hole" of Ireland & it's not as bad as lots of people are making out. Ok it's not the easiest to get a job but people are. As for whoever said they shouldn't have bothered with a college degree & gone for a trade - trade jobs are harder to come by at the min (know a few looking) & most people I know with a degree have managed to get jobs ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Every Country has a whole lot of nothing to begin with.
    You do what any other Country do - increase housing quota - create new borders.
    Isn't that how you fill out land.

Hey Beachband, would that be Bondi beach by chance, because i dont think you have been past that, if you think you can fill out a dry continent by increasing housing quota, create new borders (in case you dont know australia has things called states and surrounding theses magical little states are things called borders), do your self a favour mate, stop drinking with people from your own parish and see the place mate, being adventurous is not talking to someone from another county.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The Aussie wrote: »
    Hey Beachband, would that be Bondi beach by chance, because i dont think you have been past that, if you think you can fill out a dry continent by increasing housing quota, create new borders (in case you dont know australia has things called states and surrounding theses magical little states are things called borders), do your self a favour mate, stop drinking with people from your own parish and see the place mate, being adventurous is not talking to someone from another county.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nzae86

Ah shur someone needs ta tell The Aussies that their Rules dont apply to the Irish.

Look I am not a big fan of rules and regulations meself, but most Australians are, and they like nice simple clear written on the back of a stamp type rules, like the great boards Catchall 'Dont be a Dick'
    they also hold the Concept of a fair go as a central tennet of the culture

so with this in mind some enlightened individual in the Glorious days of the Howard Government decided that a fair go should be extended to all these backpackers who wanted to spend another year here.

its a blindingly simple Fvckin arangement,
    1)Go to the Outback, get a Job, stay there for 3 months, get yer employer to sign a form saying that you did it
    2) Give that form to an Immigration office
    3) No there are no Questionmarks
    4)Profit

I just heard from Scottish guy who I sent up to a neighbor of ours in FNQ, he spent 3+ months on a cattle station, faffin about on horses musterin fencin and generally havin the time of his life & Gettin Food Board Booze and a Wage

Thats a fair go and its available to anyone who gets off their arse and wants it.

lad post after post your laying down the law as to what irish should and shouldnt do while they are in australia, your're telling em what visas are what, this whilst all the time you were telling people you were a resident when you werent. If i was you I'd get my own house in order before i start telling other TEMPORARY residents what they should and shouldnt be doing.

Btw the way I'm Irish i,m 29 i've been in Australia 7yrs i've gotten my Australian citizineship so i'm now dual Irish/Australian and my opionion is to say to all the mid 20's here on the WHV milk it while you can its only another yr big ****ing deal you only live once and if you get away with it well done.

the amount of irish residents & dual citizens that look down there nose at WHV, we were all there too and if we ran outta options back then and particullary now with the irish economy the way it is we'd have chanced another yr even by dodgy means, wats the worse that'll happen you'll be sent home with a couple nights in villawood at the worse, most applications are still going thru no worries just dont leave and return in the 12 months!

nzae86 wrote: »
    lad post after post your laying down the law as to what irish should and shouldnt do while they are in australia, your're telling em what visas are what, this whilst all the time you were telling people you were a resident when you werent. If i was you I'd get my own house in order before i start telling other TEMPORARY residents what they should and shouldnt be doing.

Btw the way I'm Irish i,m 29 i've been in Australia 7yrs i've gotten my Australian citizineship so i'm now dual Irish/Australian and my opionion is to say to all the mid 20's here on the WHV milk it while you can its only another yr big ****ing deal you only live once and if you get away with it well done.

the amount of irish residents & dual citizens that look down there nose at WHV, we were all there too and if we ran outta options back then and particullary now with the irish economy the way it is we'd have chanced another yr even by dodgy means, wats the worse that'll happen you'll be sent home with a couple nights in villawood at the worse, most applications are still going thru no worries just dont leave and return in the 12 months!

I'm on a WHV and I have no problem 'laying down the law' (wtf? It's only the internet). That's a shocking piece of advice. I'll ask you, did you lie on your application forms in order to get citizenship? Unless, you did, it's all very well for you to sit back and recommend that people commit what is essentially suicide as far as any long-term residency prospects go if you're caught.

What's the worst that'll happen? You can kiss goodbye to any hope of a residency before your 30 and chances of citizenship after that get slimmer as time goes on.

I'm happy enough with my Legal status here at the moment, I may have had some of the terminology wrong previously, but thankfully friendly and helpful people such as yerself corrected me, I havent broken any laws to stay here.

as for 'Layin doen the Law' I think you'll find that the Australian government did that, I'm merely the messenger in that respect.

OK so the Irish go for broke and milk the System for all its worth, then what, what happens in 2-3 years time when the Australians get sick of it, at the least the WHV2 is withdrawn for Irish citizens, then what, is it still a bit f harmless craic? when they have ruined it for an entire future generation.

remember there was a fashion a few years ago for lads to take on big payin jobs with the promise of sponsorship, only to f'off after a few weeks.

whats the harm eh? well try being Irish and gettin a job even if you genuinley wanted to stay, these lads burned so many people that being Irish was a really really bad thing when lookin for a job.

thats the point, Ireland and the Irish dont hold any special place in the hearts of Australians despite what we may delude ourselves, and as ya shold know yerself if you liver her and have ever seen TodayTonight or any other schlockjourno tv show, they hate people who try to buck the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

shane86 wrote: »
    I loved my life back home until I turned 20 and probably wouldnt have feared returning from Oz. I blame the fact we havent had a summer since 2006 (though the cost of living to wages certainly weighs in)
    Till you turned 20? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

and have ever seen TodayTonight or any other schlockjourno tv show

Seriously, anyone who pays any attention to Today Tonight or ACA needs their head checked. Complete gutter journalism at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nwordjim

Just deserts? We'll let the Nigerians decide that one.

Traq wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone who pays any attention to Today Tonight or ACA needs their head checked. Complete gutter journalism at its best.

oh yeah truly horid drivel, I'm mostly makin an assumption about the content of the programs based on the Promos that they bombard us with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭fontinalis

Sure the Irish built Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

fontinalis wrote: »

If by Irish you mean Convicts and by Australia you mean a British colony, you are some what right as not all convicts were Irish, but that is where other countries dont understand the Australian ideal of being Australian, we are not like the yanks who are always something else first ie. Irish American, Itialian American, Afro American.

Ask any Australian they might have a Irish grandpappy but they are still Aussies, the only exception is the second generation Lebonese, but we should pay for their flights to the homeland for them and see what they think of Australia then.

If by Irish you mean Convicts and by Australia you mean a British colony, you are some what right as not all convicts were Irish, but that is where other countries dont understand the Australian ideal of being Australian, we are not like the yanks who are always something else first ie. Irish American, Itialian American, Afro American.

Ask any Australian they might have a Irish grandpappy but they are still Aussies, the only exception is the second generation Lebonese, but we should pay for their flights to the homeland for them and see what they think of Australia then.

Not what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

fontinalis wrote: »

Well that's what you get for a 5 word post...

I would like to address a few things,

1: Yes Australia is a big place but everyone migrating here ends up in the same places. And when DIAC ask you spend a 1/8 of the 2 years in the other vast expanse of land beachband reckons we could all fit comfortable in you bitch about that?

There are even visas if you promise to live in certain places. Look into them

2: It is not the our (Irish) place to tell Australia how to govern its immigration policy its far better than any migration control Ireland has. When you get citizenship you can Vote against it.

3: Shane86, Beachband what you say is ok is illegal here I respect your right to think the law is unfair. But not your opinion that it's ok to break it.

Jesus 119 posts this is a biggy for this forum and no one has even mentioned the Aboriginals or racism :)

It was meant to be glib comment like you hear people saying about how the Irish built America.
    Anyway back on topic, does anyone remember the fella who used to sing in the cock & bull in Sydney on Sundays (I was there in 04). I remember reading in the Irish Times after I came back in 05 that immigration officers walked into a place he was singing in and more or less charged him wioth overstaying on the spot.
    I'd say there alot of people who are over who may expect to get an extension very easily and as someone said earlier in the thread, all it takes is a few to tarnish the name of irish immigrants. Messing around with other countries immigration laws is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

myhorse wrote: »

its a myth you can bring the whole family over (they have to have their own visa)

Not true, an indian guy I work with is able to bring his parents over as both him and his brother are PR and there's some clause that allows his parents to stay if more then 2 family members are PR (can't remember the in's and out's of it as he told me a while back)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah the more family members already in Australia the easier it is, I know a few Indian people at my work that used the $900 Kevin Rudd Bonus towards getting family into the country. They are always sending money back to India for the old village relocation fund its part of the culture....

Zambia232 wrote: »
    3: Shane86, Beachband what you say is ok is illegal here I respect your right to think the law is unfair. But not your opinion that it's ok to break it.

Did you read properly my posts on this??
    I have never said it is ok to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

shane86 wrote: »
    Actually the consequences of being caught are a strongly worded email demanding you leave. The DIAC realises we are keeping constructuion and the like afloat in Sydney. If they really wanted rid of us they would raid certain bars on certain busy days.

the article clearly states that at least 24 people have been deported, so clearly you are wrong.

a friend of mine plays on a ladies GAA team in sydney, and two girls off her team were caught, one was refused at the airport and the other was actually arrested, and forced to leave.

Yes they do send letters (probably in most cases), but they also deport people.

Sorry meant create new zones - suburban.
    Have never been to Bondi, Have lived in WA twice, and remote part of North WA.
    By the way, very informed attitude mate! Will get ya everywhere in the life!

• Advertisement

Not true, an indian guy I work with is able to bring his parents over as both him and his brother are PR and there's some clause that allows his parents to stay if more then 2 family members are PR (can't remember the in's and out's of it as he told me a while back)
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah the more family members already in Australia the easier it is, I know a few Indian people at my work that used the $900 Kevin Rudd Bonus towards getting family into the country. They are always sending money back to India for the old village relocation fund its part of the culture....

a slight problem there- couple come to Oz -ok - lets say years ago so two years to citizenship - they sponsor a relo and have to provide and show they can provide for them - that person is on temp visa and cant sponsor or bring anyone over on defacto for 4 years I believe. If they are sponsored and GO for a de facto its still the same. Also I fail to see how they bring over the whole family unless DIAC allow incestious de facto now adays?

people get confused with an old rule for people on humanaterian visas where they could apply under the family reunion to bring direct family out - but that stopped in the 80's.

its a myth you can bring the whole family over (they have to have their own visa)

So what? I am a citizen of both countries. Does that mean mines bigger than yours ?

So you think its still a myth then myhorse?
    It would be nice if people who post on here to at least try and make accurate remarks, not smart uninformed ones.

Advertisement