Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Deporting Irish for Visa Fraud

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

shane86 wrote: »
    Lighthearted my left one. When I used to go drinking with an office crowd in my old job you couldnt go 10 minutes without racist ranting taking off. Its an Aussie tradition pretty much.

Well its a case of when in Rome.... no big deal, people are always dragging up the old Aussies are racist comments on here... its not as if Irish people are 100% lily white themselves..... Since when did it become fashionable in Ireland to be Anti-Racist any way.

Anyway is annoying that a discussion on visa fraud now is turned into Racist blame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

They dont have to do it, but they are not entitle to stay if they dont, and they have no one to blame except themselves should they get turfed out of the country.

I really cant see why people are defending these Scumbags.

or How pwoplw seem to think that having to Work is somehow demeaning, sure lets just put all these 'TigerCubs' into a glass case and throw sugar at them, heaven forbid they should find out that the world is a cold and uncaring place where people will not hand you everything 'just because'

Jesus Mahatma, I would have thought you of all people would have gotten up on your high horse about this. I would have thought you would be of the opinion 'if you can get away with it, do it' what with you previously noting that you 'Rent cars under phantom company names to avoid speeding fines'

I personally think that if they cant be bothered checking every application then fukk em, its their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Because someone dragged up the apparent awfulness of hanging out with Irish and drinking with them. I pointed out that the only other option is a souless bar where everyone is old, ranting and on the pokies.
    agreed, but no need to keep biting, it just takes away from the thread.
    I personally would pick PJ's over any bar in darling harbour on a Saturday night. I also have a GAA jersey ;)
    I think its highly unfair seeing as we are not stealing jobs.
    Yes it is unfair, but that is the way it is, if you commit fraud then that is not a valid defence.
    I would call earning 6 dollars for working between 6am and midday near on slavery. Its a scam, they would completely over staff the farm in the knowledge the majority of workers would get pissed off and leave to be replaced by another group 3 days later, and that these people would not bother their arse trying to extract the whopping 12- 20 dollars they made in their time on the farm. Which means the farmer got labour without having to pay for it. Quite a nice little cost cutter you must agree!

Your story is shocking alright, but I know about 6 people who have completed farm work, the average I heard from them was about 12-15 ph.
    6ph is still more than what some people make cold calling though
    ( I worked 2 days and earned a total of 64, before I walked away)
    I knew one girl who worked 1 day, went to give it up the farmer offered her an office job (she had marketing experience) for 3weeks at 15ph, he then signed her off for 3months. She rang me up as wanted to see what would happen if she got caught etc, I explained the full details, if she was caught she was out - she wasn't. My point is that although unfair it was a risk, she knew the consequences and was willing to live with it.
    She would have no complaints if she was kicked out, which is the point most people are trying to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Jesus Mahatma, I would have thought you of all people would have gotten up on your high horse about this. I would have thought you would be of the opinion 'if you can get away with it, do it' what with you previously noting that you 'Rent cars under phantom company names to avoid speeding fines'

I personally think that if they cant be bothered checking every application then fukk em, its their own fault.

See, heres the thing, all the things I suggested in those threads is LEGAL, Ok it may not be straight down the line the 100% Godshonesttruth, but its still playing the game within the framework of the law.

But heres the thing, I could just ignore it all, lie my ass off and get myself into a much more favourable position, but if they catch me they will - and rightly so- Prossecute me fro fraud, currently They cant do that because nothing has been done fraudulantly, I am just exploiting existing loopholes in the System and i would encourage everyone to do that where they can.

this is different tho, this is out and out FRAUD, These guys set out with the intention t Defraud the state, for that they have been punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Lighthearted my left one. When I used to go drinking with an office crowd in my old job you couldnt go 10 minutes without racist ranting taking off. Its an Aussie tradition pretty much.

a tightarse Queensland redneck.

Classic... all in the same reply, you accuse a whole nation of having racist ideals then you turn around and label a whole state "Rednecks". Pure comedy gold.

I did pick you for not being all that bright from the word go and i also love when people live up to "Racial Sterotypes", so my friend you have just lived upto the greatest of Irish sterotypes.

Anyway back to the thread, has anyone claimed the 500 bucks hanging a deadbeat out to dry yet.

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    the greatest of Irish sterotypes.

Ireland has one of the best education systems in the world, so you can f*ck right off with that stereotype.

P.s. you spelt Stereotypes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

hussey wrote: »

Your story is shocking alright, but I know about 6 people who have completed farm work, the average I heard from them was about 12-15 ph.
    6ph is still more than what some people make cold calling though

It wasnt 6 per hour, it was 6 for an entire day. As said- simple plan, fill a small patch of land with so many fruit pickers paid per bucket that nobody has a chance of making decent coin. The vast majority will jack it in after 2 or 3 days of this bollocks and wont bother chasing after their 18 odd dollars. Considering these are the types of scams being run is it any wonder people are lying? I was lucky enough to land decent paid work and saved myself a nice bit of dosh, but for male fruitpickers this is often a long shot. It was 3 long, boring months and Im glad I got it the legal way rather than living on eggshells like many others now, but I wouldnt look down on anyone who due to financial hardship had to avoid the farms. I think the vast majority of people would be willing to do fairly paid work, but the above exploitation is simply not on.
    Classic... all in the same reply, you accuse a whole nation of having racist ideals then you turn around and label a whole state "Rednecks". Pure comedy gold.

Whilst obviously not all of them I found a great many Queenslanders to be alot more money obsessed than Sydney folk.
    I did pick you for not being all that bright from the word go so my friend you have just lived upto the greatest of Irish sterotypes

LOL :) What do you have anyway, something like 20% of school leavers going for a college course/ trade?
    Anyway back to the thread, has anyone claimed the 500 bucks hanging a deadbeat out to dry yet.

Unless they were to have a serious grudge against someone who deserved it I would find it rather sick being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I think this thread has just about run it's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I think this thread has just about run it's course.

I disagree. The longer this is left open the better. Its worth highlighting the risk of getting caught if you try and defraud the system.
    I do think bans should be handed out for off topic though. Especially the usual racism rant that rears its head here on a regular basis. Usually by the same posters.

In fairness now he didnt label the whole state rednecks.
    Ireland has one of the best education systems in the world, so you can f*ck right off with that stereotype.

P.s. you spelt Stereotypes wrong.
    Jesus. You tell him that we are really well educated, then ruin it by telling him to "f*ck right off" and then really ruin it by pointing out a spelling error.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I do think bans should be handed out for off topic though. Especially the usual racism rant that rears its head here on a regular basis. Usually by the same posters.

When your are a mod you can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

proper order. Send em all home on a cargo ship.

Jesus. You tell him that we are really well educated, then ruin it by telling him to "f*ck right off" and then really ruin it by pointing out a spelling error.
    You clearly don't understand the concept of irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Jumpy wrote: »
    I disagree. The longer this is left open the better. Its worth highlighting the risk of getting caught if you try and defraud the system.

I agree completely. This is an important thread and of course, it ended in the same way they all do. I have been very patient because I don't want this to be the kind of forum where we stifle debate and hand out bans but I've had enough. I was dreading coming in to this thread when because I knew what the discussion would have descended in to.

I'm not locking the thread but I have infracted a number of people and will be handing out bans from now on. and Jumpy is also right, it is the same posters over and over again and it ends now.

You clearly don't understand the concept of irony.

Sorry, its difficult to know sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hi folks,

Sandra from RTÉ has been in touch with the below:
    I am hoping to do a TV news story for RTE about Irish people deported from Austalia for infringing their Working Holiday Visas. I am hoping to interview someone who has been sent back and it seems several people on the thread say they know some of these people.

If you, or anyone you know would like to talk to RTÉ about your experiences, please drop her a line at Sandra.Hurley@rte.ie.

Cheers

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

What does your office mates have to do with the price of fish?

Back on topic...
    Because he seems to like living here, and its easy to say people should do the farm work without having actually experienced the abusive slavery of working under a tightarse Queensland redneck.

But that's still not the point. You want to stay in the country, that is your option. You chose not to do your research and find a good employer, that was also your option. You've only yourself to blame for not checking it all out first or moving on if it was ****e. No point biting at those who are in Oz legally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

NikNakOoo wrote: »

But that's still not the point. You want to stay in the country, that is your option. You chose not to do your research and find a good employer, that was also your option. You've only yourself to blame for not checking it all out first or moving on if it was ****e. No point biting at those who are in Oz legally!

If you even bothered reading my post Im already on a 2nd year legally obtained. The fact is many here have an issue with people desperate to avoid grim economic prospects back home lying to avoid undertaking exploitative borderline slavery on farms. All of whom will do nothing but contribute to the Aussie economy without taking anything from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

If you even bothered reading my post Im already on a 2nd year legally obtained. The fact is many here have an issue with people desperate to avoid grim economic prospects back home lying to avoid undertaking exploitative borderline slavery on farms. All of whom will do nothing but contribute to the Aussie economy without taking anything from it.

Every backpacker that sets foot over here has paid 200 dollars to the Govt for the visa.

also, they've had to have a minimum of 3.5 grand in their bank. regardless of if its checked or not, most will have that as a MINIMUM. I had 8k when i landed and the 5 others i came over with had more than me! ALL that money was Irish money spent in Oz on Oz business. Thats a lot of contributing to the Oz economy, and how many backpackers are there currently here, irish and non-Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ahhh shane86......... and you thought Galway was bad..........

Look its like this, no matter what Jobs these guys found they would have considered them slavery, 'Wurkin is fer Saps'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ireland accepts Aussie back packers, I wonder is there a forum where they are all sat bitching about a few weeks work in west Kerry.

I believe Jumpy lives in Limerick, So That theory is blown outa the water :D

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Every backpacker that sets foot over here has paid 200 dollars to the Govt for the visa.

also, they've had to have a minimum of 3.5 grand in their bank. regardless of if its checked or not, most will have that as a MINIMUM. I had 8k when i landed and the 5 others i came over with had more than me! ALL that money was Irish money spent in Oz on Oz business. Thats a lot of contributing to the Oz economy, and how many backpackers are there currently here, irish and non-Irish?

I think you've taken his post up wrong. He's making the same point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Oi Im from Limerick :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

The thing is I remember about 4 years ago, hanging out in Dublin every weekend, had 4 Aussie friends, all on whv's(they knew many more Aussies living in Dublin), one of my Aussie friends had been working in the same bar for about 8 months, now at that time the most an Aussie could work for with the same employer on a whv was 3 months(it is now 6 months). Anyway irish immigration at the time were clamping down on those who were abusing the whv, my Aussie friends were very aware of this, so my Aussie friend was shifted around to another bar by the manager to help him avoid Irish immi until things cooled down, then when immi would have finished their checks in that bar, the manager would bring my Aussie friend back to his own bar. He eventually went back to Oz about 6 months over his 1 year visa.
    Now this is only 1 person you think??? - No - my Aussie friend told me many others were doing the very same thing here at the time.

Beachband wrote: »
    The thing is I remember about 4 years ago, hanging out in Dublin every weekend, had 4 Aussie friends, all on whv's(they knew many more Aussies living in Dublin), one of my Aussie friends had been working in the same bar for about 8 months, now at that time the most an Aussie could work for with the same employer on a whv was 3 months(it is now 6 months). Anyway irish immigration at the time were clamping down on those who were abusing the whv, my Aussie friends were very aware of this, so my Aussie friend was shifted around to another bar by the manager to help him avoid Irish immi until things cooled down, then when immi would have finished their checks in that bar, the manager would bring my Aussie friend back to his own bar. He eventually went back to Oz about 6 months over his 1 year visa.
    Now this is only 1 person you think??? - No - my Aussie friend told me many others were doing the very same thing here at the time.

And? It's a pretty weak argument to suggest that it's ok for Irish to commit visa fraud because the Aussies are doing the same.

And? It's a pretty weak argument to suggest that it's ok for Irish to commit visa fraud because the Aussies are doing the same.

It was not an argument for or against....I thought this was a debate.....it is a forum after all isn't it?

All I know, for my 2 cents is, that if you want something in life, you gotta go for it, that normally involves hard work along the way.

Beachband wrote: »
    It was not an argument for or against....I thought this was a debate.....it is a forum after all isn't it?

All I know, for my 2 cents is, that if you want something in life, you gotta go for it, that normally involves hard work along the way.

The debate seems to be within your head as you're not making a coherent point. Are you now saying that people should do the 3 months work to get the visa and not commit fraud?

The debate seems to be within your head as you're not making a coherent point. Are you now saying that people should do the 3 months work to get the visa and not commit fraud?

The 3 months work is obviously in black and white if someone wants a second whv.
    I'm just trying to see it from both sides, why someone would obtain a second whv falsely other than sheer laziness, and looking for the easy way.
    Sometimes there are other reasons for this(off the top of my head, not to mention the recession here) e.g - a week short of the 3 months work, finding a girlfriend/boyfriend 10 months into their first whv(previously they just wanted to stay for the year), naivety, maybe being treated not so well on a farm, to the point where they have to leave after 1 month(not being able in turn to complete 3 months elsewhere), I'm sure there are many more circumstances.
    All of the above are obviously excuses, but people are not black and white, some panic who have experienced one of the above examples and...well you know the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ha yeah, you wouldnt get me into west Kerry with a cattle prod. :D

Advertisement