Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 puppies nearly drowned

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

http://www.dspca.ie/news_item.php?number=2737&type=News&archive=No

guys

i am a bit bothered about the article on the link above. i tried to get the news version of it. i am so happy that they were saved but i read cases like this sometimes of people caught in the act of cruelty but when it comes to what happened to the person who done this nothing is noted for the public. i am wondering would anyone know what would happen to those mindless teenages? i love animals especially dogs and cant understand how a individual does this with no guilt. anyone knows if these people were charged? or anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

For those that can't view link:
    8th January 2010
    NINE PUPPIES RESCUED FROM ICY DROWNING
    DUBLIN SPCA CALLS ON PUBLIC TO HELP KEEP ANIMALS SAFE DURING THE BIG FREEZE

8th January 10: Dublin SPCA have today issued an appeal to the public to keep all animals safe during the current arctic conditions. Ireland’s oldest animal welfare organisation have been receiving calls about horses, dogs and wildlife caught in dangerous situations; many are becoming trapped in the snow, finding themselves unable to reach food or water.

In a more sinister development, nine gorgeous puppies were rescued this morning from a group of teens at the canal at Labre Park, Dublin 10. The teenagers were about to drown the bag of puppies in the icy canal but their cruel sport was bravely interrupted by a passerby who saved the tiny pups. The litter of 6 males and 3 females are currently being cared for by the Dublin SPCA.

AFAIK - they were on the Afternoon Show on RTÉ the other day - they said two men were walking their dogs near the canal and heard crying (them and the dogs) and saw a group of teens kicking around a 'potato sack' they went over and the teens threw the sack into the canal and ran. The guys got the sack out and found the 9 puppies inside.
    Thankfully there were going by and stepped in.
    As the group just ran off I doubt there's much hope of them being found at all.

Regarding the legalities of it I don't know, and given that they would be teenagers depending on their ages they may not be subject to the same laws that an older teen or adult would be.

If you can view RTÉ player the full episode of that Afternoon Show is here - DSPCA bit starts around 40mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

thank you, shame though. if they are old enough to place them in a bag and kick them about they are old enough to face the consiquences. forgive my spelling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I just looked at the afternoon show on the rte player and all I can say is those puppies are georgous and its an awful shame they didn't catch those gits,,..they will have no luck for it.:mad:

just after looking at the rte show with them on it. they are gorgous and how can someone do that they are so small and helpless!!! :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

star-pants wrote: »
    they said two men were walking their dogs near the canal and heard crying (them and the dogs) and saw a group of teens kicking around a 'potato sack' they went over and the teens threw the sack into the canal and ran. The guys got the sack out and found the 9 puppies inside.
    Thankfully there were going by and stepped in.
    As the group just ran off I doubt there's much hope of them being found at all.

That is disgusting :mad:

*rages silently*

I dont know what else to say :(

• Advertisement

i started volunteering down in the dspca and the dogs are well taken care of. they are so reliant on us and they will always be so loyal no matter how they are treated. you should see the dogs there they are so loveable and so nice which makes it sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Given the tiny number of prosecutions when people are caught & the fact that they may be adolescents I would suspect an unofficial Garda warning whereas in Latvia I believe that the man got jailed.

i no in most cruelty cases when animals are dumped that the person isnt caught. but i think that in a real cruelty case like this people should be made an example of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Aww that is horrible...sure we heard of this all the time but we still feel bad about it...Cant understand it at all......good job that the person saved the puppies as many are not lucky.

One time I was at the vet for my working experience - (i didn't get the points when I was doing the leaving cert many moons ago) and there was a woman who found 7 black puppies (breed unknown) 4 puppies alive and 3 dead ones in a bag - similar story here from first post - this lovely woman who was out jugging saw the scene/puppies cries etc and went over to see what was it about and the boys ran off. The 4 of the puppies are around to this day (this woman kept two) - They are as happy as ever. This woman didnt have time to really look at the boys face etc because she was very upset about the puppies. So of course these boys were never caught.

How we can improve this from happening again?

Advertisement