Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best body lotion/cream for dry sensitive skin?

• 14-01-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i have really sensitive skin - it's only started affecting me in the last 5 years or so and i would say it is mainly down to stress - i stress very easily! But anyway it's driving me mad cos it's really itchy a lot of the time. I've been to the doctor twice and she doesn't seem to know what it is and just gives me ointments but like i can't put the ointment all over my body. There's not even a rash and i just feel itchy and start scratching and then cause a rash!

I just want soft silky skin and want to know does anyone know of a lotion that is particularly good for this kind of thing and won't aggravate it? I've tried Aqueous cream and E-45 but they are really rich or maybe i just haven't stuck with them long enough??

I'm really frustrated and i'm dreading the summer - having to show my arms and my legs especially cos i have big red bumps on the inside of my calfs...it's really embarrassing:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Silcocks Base is meant to be absolutely fantastic.

You can use it as both a cleanser and a moisturiser.

Like Epsom salts, it's very non-trendy and can normally be found in a pharmacy in a plain white tube or tub for a nominal amount.

Friends of mine with extremely sensitive skin swear by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Silcocks Base is meant to be absolutely fantastic.

You can use it as both a cleanser and a moisturiser.

Like Epsom salts, it's very non-trendy and can normally be found in a pharmacy in a plain white tube or tub for a nominal amount.

Friends of mine with extremely sensitive skin swear by it.

Thanks HardyEustace - i have heard of that alright - i will give it a go! Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Dream Cream from Lush is really good for sensitive skin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Aveeno or La Roche Posays Toleriane riche or Lipikar baume. Showering with Oilatum helps a lot too. Their bath soak is good for both bath and shower use. Taking fish oils can help aswell and make sure to drink lots of water :)

Aveeno or La Roche Posays Toleriane riche or Lipikar baume. Showering with Oilatum helps a lot too. Their bath soak is good for both bath and shower use. Taking fish oils can help aswell and make sure to drink lots of water :)

Thanks - hadn't thought of the fish oils! Can you recommend a particularly good brand? Like seven seas or something is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Udos choice or Something by the Solgar brand if you can stretch to it. Just make sure you're getting one that contains omega 3,6 &9 in it. I think Boots have an own brand one which isn't too bad either. A co-enzyme q10 supplement improves skin condition too but I'd try the fish oils first as the coenzyme supplement isn't cheap and just the combination if a good shower wash, lotion and the fish oils may well be enough to sort you out!!!!

Udos choice or Something by the Solgar brand if you can stretch to it. Just make sure you're getting one that contains omega 3,6 &9 in it. I think Boots have an own brand one which isn't too bad either. A co-enzyme q10 supplement improves skin condition too but I'd try the fish oils first as the coenzyme supplement isn't cheap and just the combination if a good shower wash, lotion and the fish oils may well be enough to sort you out!!!!

Yes i was actually using udos choice for a while for my face (as my skin was very dry for a while on my face) and thought it was working well but i think i was still itchy all over my body. Maybe i'll try it again. I have it in the fridge but think it maybe time to buy a new one now....

Will try the boots own brand one maybe too....there's too many to try now....i'll be in boots all day..hehe:)

thanks for all your help everyone!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What about E45 cream. That's nice to put on. Silcock's base is good but I hate the feel of it on the skin. Very thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I like Vichy and La Roch Posay. I used to use Eucerin which was great too. I've found anything with coconut oil is good too. The trick for me is to apply it regularly so I don't get to the itchy stage.

Also I can't use a thick cream as it brings me out in spots

I used a vichy lotion last winter and found it great. I could use it after a shower in the morning and put my clothes on straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I have the same probem. My skin flakes as well.

What I've started to do is with a body brush, this is the one I have, once a week, before a shower/bath, I use it all over my body, and it brings the flaky skin to the surface so when I get in the bath/shower, I wash the flaky skin away with water before I use a bodywash. And after I've had the shower/bath, I use this one and find it brilliant.

And for my feet, I use the same brush, but use this one.

My skin is so soft after.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

+1 on the Aveeno body wash. Usually costs between 5-7 Euros.

I've tried Elave (Emulave?), Silcocks Base and tar-based creams but they never really did anything for me.

Did the doctor say anything about stress-trigger foods? Have you made any changes to the ol' diet?

+1 on the Aveeno body wash. Usually costs between 5-7 Euros.

I've tried Elave (Emulave?), Silcocks Base and tar-based creams but they never really did anything for me.

Did the doctor say anything about stress-trigger foods? Have you made any changes to the ol' diet?

No but i was half thinking of getting an allergy test just in case it's something i'm allergic to as well as being stressed! I know they do them in Here's Health in Cork but i don't know are they any good - my friend got one done and i think she came out more confused than when she went in! She was allergic to everything according to the test LOL:D

+ 1 for the La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume, it's fantastic.

My daughter is 5 and has extremely dry skin, her hands can get particularly chapped but her skin is like silk since I started using this. It's cheap too, the big tube of it costs me €14.50 so you can't go too far wrong with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The Eucerin range of creams , lotions and body wash are excellent, would highly recommend them.

Advertisement