Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icy or what !

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

The amount of cars that flashed past me coming in on the N6 this morning was shocking. Apparently, only the motorway and dual carriage ways were treated overnite, so the roads were the worst I have ever felt !

Even with new tyres on my car, there was hardly any grip.
    Passed two cars that 360'd on the road, and yet we still have these idiots with their right indicators on the whole time, jumping in and out to get past people. What is the life n death situation that these gombeens have to drive so crazy?

If they are in such a hurry, get up an hour early anymore.
    And if you are one of these gombeens reading this right now, you are indeed an idiot !

Now thats my rant over for today .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Cheers for the heads up on the iciness of the roads; I'll be out that way in a bit and will keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Cheers for the heads up on the iciness of the roads; I'll be out that way in a bit and will keep it in mind.

From what i gather after chatting to a few work mates, motorway is treated, dual carriage way treated, and main road in town are treated

the rest is black ice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Avoided the Tuam Road because a noticable tail back...think there was a 3 car pile up. Went up the road by Eye Cinema and a car had spun and hit a telephone poll...very very very very slippy. When traffic started to move again around her taking off was a challenge particularly without power steering!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Woke this morning around 8am to sirens wailing and what i think was a fire engine driving past my house and the noise of a car whose horn had gotten stuck? Ballybrit/briarhill direction,must have been an accident out this way

There are accidents everywhere this morning
    Hopefully they are only minor tips, spin outs
    I saw a fiat punto spin out onto hard shoulder out near loughrea with an artic up its arse !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

car whore horn

*giggle*

On topic, at least the roads are shredded to all hell so you can get some purchase :rolleyes:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

the small bit of galway road info here shows that they not treated alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

n6 from Loughrea to Galway is lethal. Saw so many cars wobbling and few in ditches. Couldn't go over 30mph at the best parts. Took nearly 2hrs to make the journey but i don't mind that seen as i got in safe. Take care if you've to use the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Was driving out of our estate on the Rahoon rd. and started sliding pretty violently this morning. Have a RWD car which probably doesn't help but I wasn't expecting the road to be as bad. Luckily, there were no cars around at the time and the rest of the road on the way into the city seemed reasonably ok. The last 2 days with no ice have sort of lulled people into a false sense of security I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

There is always some prick overtaking when they shouldn't. This morning someone passed several cars at once on the Tuam Road on the Two Mile ditch and had to go back in forcing me to brake to allow him some space.
    If you are in such a hurry wake up 20 minutes earlier, stop risking our lives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I recall a certain breakfast dj on a local radio station last week commenting that if people were going to drive 30mph in this weather (the icy/snowy/dangerous weather ye may remember we had) that'd they would be better off at home as opposed to slowing everyone else down. Now I can understand if someone is driving 10mph on a clear road but you can never really tell where there is black ice...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I recall a certain breakfast dj on a local radio station last week commenting that if people were going to drive 30mph in this weather (the icy/snowy/dangerous weather ye may remember we had) that'd they would be better off at home as opposed to slowing everyone else down. Now I can understand if someone is driving 10mph on a clear road but you can never really tell where there is black ice...

i heard that too, and it really annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

To be fair, at the start of last week there were people driving on main roads that were well treated but driving on them like there was 3 inches of snow on them. And I'd say they were driving like that more out of fear than caution....and its not right that they are on the roads...both for their own sake and others.

This morning was a different kettle of fish though. Trust me, im the first to give out about the manic state of the driving in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

This morning around 9, tailbacks on the N18 were out as far as Kilcolgan, and back further again as far as I could see.

I turned back after a few minutes. Stopped in Kilcolgan to get coffee in Topaz, and could barely walk across the road it was so slippy.

Considering going in for the afternoon instead. Has the ice melted at all yet?

Thanks,
    Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

LowOdour wrote: »
    To be fair, at the start of last week there were people driving on main roads that were well treated but driving on them like there was 3 inches of snow on them. And I'd say they were driving like that more out of fear than caution....and its not right that they are on the roads...both for their own sake and others.

This morning was a different kettle of fish though. Trust me, im the first to give out about the manic state of the driving in galway.

agreed, it was more the manner in which said DJ made the remark that annoyed me, filled me with rage for about 5 minutes, then switched over the station and havn't turned it on since. Normally only listened to it for the traffic reports really, but that tool bag's attitude is just too much to stomach in the mornings now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Today was lethal west of Galway, I got a twitch on the way out the gate and guess what, never went over 30mph the rest of the way. Couldn't .

I don't think the frost was quite expected last night in fairness to the council and the salt was all washed away in the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

LowOdour wrote: »

Exactly, some people drive like that just in case, they should think twive before going out, but this morning was very dangerous anyways everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0114/weather.html

I was out walking my dog late last night and it didn't seem awefully cold. I certainly wouldn't have predicted it freezing as much as it has done. Footpaths were really dodgy walking into college this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

N6 Loughrea Jan 14, 13:00 4.4° C. 5.4° C. Wet & Treated 98% 0 km/h North-westerly No recent rainfall

N17 Tuam Jan 14, 13:10 5.0° C. 10.3° C. Treated 89% 15.1 km/h Southerly No recent rainfall

N59 Connemara Jan 14, 13:00 5.6° C. 5.5° C. Moist 95% 0 km/h Southerly No recent rainfall

That's the information up for the Galway area at the moment.

When they say N6 do they mean M6? RTE, AA Roadwatch and some others quite often get N and M mixed up. Could easily cause confusion. There is no such thing as the N6 at Loughrea anymore, only the M6. The old N6 which used to pass by Loughrea is now the R446.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think the sensor is in Loughrea, a new sensor will be installed beside the M6 in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

black ice was the dagger in the heart of them drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

According to the RTE web-site, engineers had been out on inspection at 4am this morning and the roads were fine so the gritters stayed in the depot. However, temperatures dropped rapidly between 4am and 6am which caused the severe ice on the roads and it was too late to grit.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt for one day - goes to show how important putting out a bit of rock salt is to keep the primary routes moving though when there's ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

anyone know what its like in spiddal and moycullen?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I think the sensor is in Loughrea, a new sensor will be installed beside the M6 in time.

In the meantime they should refer to the one in Loughrea as the R446. The NRA of all people should know this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Dreadful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Extremely dangerous on the N63 to Galway this morning..

Getting up the hill and around the corner passed Annaghhill School was something else..Hard work keeping front & back inline..

I was in Monaghan's on the Tuam road when an Truck tried to get up the hill towards McDonagh's. he slid down back across the Tuam Road.
    Luck traffic had stopped...:eek:

Worst I've driven in for a loooong time....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Left Galway for Castlebar this morning at 10, the roads were unbelievable. The Curraghline was like an ice rink and I saw 3 cars in the ditch and tail backs as far back as Cloghanover. Mayo roads were gritted so driving was grand. Left Castlebar for Dublin at 1:10 via Ballaghadereen, Longford and Mullingar. No problems with any of these roads. I thought there would be in Roscommon as there was thick fog and lots of snow still about. Once again, Galway County Council show just how useless they really are. It is a miracle no one (hopefully) was killed on Galway roads this morning.

Advertisement