Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat battery change

• 14-01-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i'm just wondering if anybody has replaced a battery in a 04 passat before. Apart from taking off the cover (which seems a bloody nightmare!) is there anything I should be concerned about i.e. problems with the alarm, radio etc....i've read online that some people have problems with the alarm?...anything I should watch out for??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Keep the keys in your pocket and not in the ignition and you should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If you still have the factory fitted radio, you will need the code when you reconnect the batter. Otherwise, nothing else to worry about in that respect.

They are a bit of a bugger to get out. I changed the one on my 2003 Audi Allroad which is basically the same chassis ast the Passat. There is a single bolt securing a bracket with holds the battery on place. Once you undo that and release the bracket, the battery should come out (theoretically). However, it's a tight fit and heavy so it took two people to lift mine out.

Be aware that VAG tend to make odd sized batteries. I got a Varta replacement of the same spec which was listed by Varta as fitting the Allroad. However, it was too wide and didn't fit. The only place to get a battery of the correct size was from a dealer. It actually wasn't that expensive compared to Halfords and others which was a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The following link (with Pics) is to do with the plenum chamber but to facilitate that you have to remove the battery.

I removed mine on my own as the above job needed doing so I just knelt on top of the engine to bet a proper grip on it.

Might be handy to have the radio code as mentioned although in my case the radio entered SAFE mode, then LEARN mode and then started working normally within 30seconds of reconnecting the battery

http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

Had to do that job on my Father in Law's Passat (2001). I don't recall taking the battery out though, but maybe I did.

We were wondering why the windows were steaming up all the time. Turned out the chamber was full of water. Obviously a common problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

ksimpson wrote: »
    Had to do that job on my Father in Law's Passat (2001). I don't recall taking the battery out though, but maybe I did.

You changed his battery but you're not sure if you took out the battery?!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Well its near impossible to access the drain plug holes underneath the battery tray with the battery in place as you have to take the tray out to reach them :)

You changed his battery but you're not sure if you took out the battery?!!:pac:

Read again, changed the battery on my Audi, not the Passat. "that job" was referring to what the previous poster had linked to.

Well its near impossible to access the drain plug holes underneath the battery tray with the battery in place as you have to take the tray out to reach them :)

Must have removed it then. If I can't remember it, then it can't have been as big a pain as removing the Allroad battery.

Advertisement