Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new train line to Galway.

• 14-01-2010 10:28am

I came from the Commuting & Transport Western Rail Corridor thread and I've just had enough. There's so many campaigners there who're just there to say "No WRC" yet none of them live anywhere near where the line might serve, they're all just members of organised political advocacy groups . There's even a guy from Canada who posts there giving what he calls "facts". I tried to make the place frendlier to actual users of the line who might want to pose questions, but it's just reverted back to the "No WRC" campaigning that used to go on in the original thread.

Anyways, what I'd like to know, is there anyone here who's planning to take a train to Galway when the line eventually opens? Is there anyone posting here who will benefit from having the rail option open?

Mods, you can delete this if you want, but I ask that this not be sent to C&T, because the rail advocacy posters would spam it with political-style campaigning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 farmer12

Yea I would definetly use it. Having a rail link from Ennis to Galway would allow me to consider taking up a job in Galway and not have to worry about driving every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I would have used it but it might be a bit dangerous trying to jump on a moving train in crusheen :)

I gave up on that thread a long long time ago. While there are some good posters over there that make valid points, there is a lot of nonsense over there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it would be a great thing for students and more importantly, it would encourage Clare people to travel to Galway rather than Limerick, the Galway road is so busy (and bad) that you would have to have a reason to travel up there to go, I think I would use it, depending of course on the times of the trains, I regullarly get the train to Limerick so I can't see how getting 1 to Galway would be different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You would be far quicker taking the bus.

Journey from Ennis to Galway will be less than 45 minutes when the M18 / Gort bypass is complete. The train would take at least twice that as it has to pass through Croughwell and the fields of Athenroy. :p

More than likely much of the line between Limerick and Ennis will be under water for much of the year the way the current weather patterns are holding.

The only times that the train would be an advantage would be when the roads are flooded / iced over.

I am not against this route and have suggested that it would make an excellent line for the preservation societies for running vintage steam and Diesel trains during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

More than likely much of the line between Limerick and Ennis will be under water for much of the year the way the current weather patterns are holding.

We had a freak winter. Freaks aren't patterns. I think the line will be a runner. The roads got locked down with the flooding too remember.

Motorbikes are faster than cars, but somehow they are not as popular. The train is way more comfortable than the bus. You can eat and read in comfort and there are toilet facilities that don't require you to be a movie stuntman.

They are looking at April now for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I am. It will be handy to travel up without the car, and would consider jobs in Galway city centre then also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

topper75 wrote: »
    We had a freak winter. Freaks aren't patterns. I think the line will be a runner. The roads got locked down with the flooding too remember.

Motorbikes are faster than cars, but somehow they are not as popular. The train is way more comfortable than the bus. You can eat and read in comfort and there are toilet facilities that don't require you to be a movie stuntman.

And you dont have to try to look for parking!!!

45 minutes it may be to get from ennis to galway, but that wont be the city center and it certainly wont be the city center in rush hour traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Where did you get that from? As I understand it, the PW & S&T equipment got damaged in the recent flooding, until they sort that out they can't run the train crew training trains and until they do that they can't run public trains. So, how long is all that going to take? The ways things have been going, 2011 looks more likely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Here you go Jim. Don't shoot me, the messenger.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/west-off-track/

Now maybe you can help me! Can you explain the 'PW & S&T' jargon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭golfball37

The journey time for the proposed rail link is crazy. Well over 2 hours Limierick to galway. Well over an hour n half from Ennis?

Only in Ireland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭serfboard

glineli wrote: »
    45 minutes it may be to get from ennis to galway, but that wont be the city center and it certainly wont be the city center in rush hour traffic.

True - but most people don't work in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

If you are commuter, go for it! Big savings on money and time if you buy a weekly ticket. And there is a nicer feeling traveling across land in a train I think, you see scenery people who love their cars will never see in their lives.

Here you go Jim. Don't shoot me, the messenger.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/west-off-track/

Now maybe you can help me! Can you explain the 'PW & S&T' jargon?

PW - Permanent Way
    S&T - Signal & Telecommunications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 hairless

I work in Ennis and live in Galway... and I would use the train twice a week, every week. I know heaps of people going the opposite way. Look at the Ennis to Limerick line - loads of people on that line, whenever it's not flooded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

I would definitely use it. Having driven from Ennis to Galway everyday for 5 years, as many many people do, I think it's great. OK the line may go around the houses a bit, like most public transport, but don't we deserve a reasonable train service where whole sections of the country aren't just left out!! Imagine how disappointed all the "Eurorail" travellers, who buy an access all areas rail ticket around Europe must feel when they get here having been on the TGV?! Joined up thinking is all we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 hairless

This update will appear in tomorrow's Clare People:

Driver training will recommence on the Ennis to Athenry section of the Western Rail Corridor later today, January 19, but Iarnród Éireann is still not in a position to say when the long awaited rail line will finally open.
    Earmarked to open almost a year ago, the Western Rail Corridor has been hit with consistent delays over the last 18 months.
    The signaling system where the rail line interests the N18 at Kiltartan was damaged during December’s flooding forcing the suspending of driver training on the line just two days after the process had started.
    Despite this problem now being fixed, flooding at Ballycar on the Ennis to Limerick section of the line has cast new doubt over the service. The Ennis to Limerick line has now be out of commission for 54 days and an Iarnród Éireann spokesman told The Clare People yesterday that the Western Rail Corridor will not be opened until at lease six week after this line is fully operational.
    “We are monitoring water level on the line and it is going down. We will be in a position to get people out there and inspect the damage in the next few days,” said local Iarnród Éireann spokesperson, Jim Gallivan.
    “We will have to wait and see how much damage has been done to the tracks because of the flooding but all going well we hope to have a test train out on the track before the weekend.”
    This latest flooding follows a similar incident on the same section of the line in early 2008. While the track itself is the responsibility of Iarnród Éireann, uptake of the line is the responsibility of the Office of Public Works (OPW) who say that they currently have no plans to drain the flooded section of the track.
    Despite these continued setbacks, Iarnrod Éireann are confident that the Western Rail Corridor will be operation before spring of this year.
    “We have about 45 drivers here in Limerick who need to get experience on the line and the new rig before we can start the service and there is a similar number up in Galway. The need to be familiar with the signals on the line, where to stop and when to slow down,” continued Mr Gallivan.
    “Once that can be completed we should be more or less ready to go. So we are hoping to be up and running about six weeks after the Ennis to Limerick line in operational.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The line was also blocked for almost two months last year, partly because a section of the line between Sixmilebridge and Newmarketobfergus is built on a turlough. As long as there is any amount of serious rainfall this section of track will always have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Am looking forward to the train running from Limerick to Galway. Work on the other side of Galway and live in Limerick. The thoughts of avoiding Galway traffic every morning and evening is fantastic! Just wish I would be able to take a Bike on the train. Would make commuting at either end easier!!! Also know people around Athenry waiting for this train in the hope it will give them more commuting options than waiting for the 18:05 Dublin train!

I have just been informed by a collegue that a timetable for this service had been published before christmas. :D I just spent the last 20min on line trying to find it! :mad: Does anyone know where I will find it? :confused: Or does anyone know what time the earliest train from Limerick to Galway weekdays is leaving and arriving? Also what time is the evening train leaving Galway for Limerick? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

did you read any of the posts above you ???

• Advertisement

The line was also blocked for almost two months last year, partly because a section of the line between Sixmilebridge and Newmarketobfergus is built on a turlough. As long as there is any amount of serious rainfall this section of track will always have problems.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that this problem of the turlough was known about when the line was built but, presumably on grounds of cost, was not dealt with at the time. If this is the case, I wonder if that lets the OPW off the hook and places the ball firmly in the court of Iarnrodd Eireann? Either way, you can bet your bottom dollar that the taxpayer will have to pay! (assuming, that is, that anything will ever get done about it)

Sorry that should have been "Iarnród Éireann"

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

I travel from Ennis to Galway usually 4 days a week. Would def consider leaving the car at home for a couple of these days. The wear and tear on the car, the mileage, driving on winters evenings in the lashing rain....
    I have been some evenings 40mins trying to get out of galway city alone.
    I could get some work done on my commute both ways too, or read my book, listen to my ipod or have a snooze!

actually think I might leave the car at home every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Don't anybody sell their cars yet.
    Once and if ,this line opens the important thing to remember is that
    it will only be available on a part time basis.
    Flooding in ballycar has been occuring for years and always results in
    suspension of service for a couple of weeks or months each year, depending on the rainfall.
    OPW and Ionrod Eireann continue to disagree over who is responsable to
    provide financing to solve the problem.
    Ionrod Eireann carried out some work there a few years ago to relieve the problem. They raised the rail line. Obviously the engineers got it wrong.
    Until the Powers That Be get their head out of the sand and solve this problem for once and for all the Limerick to galway line will be a third world service.The people of the west of ireland deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Greenacres wrote: »
    I travel from Ennis to Galway usually 4 days a week. Would def consider leaving the car at home for a couple of these days. The wear and tear on the car, the mileage, driving on winters evenings in the lashing rain....
    I have been some evenings 40mins trying to get out of galway city alone.
    I could get some work done on my commute both ways too, or read my book, listen to my ipod or have a snooze!
    actually think I might leave the car at home every day!

Someone who feels my pain! :pac: I bloody hate the commute to Galway. Used to work in Limerick and Id always catch a cheeky snooze on the train ride in, in the mornings. It pisses me off though, how they throw a substandard service at you and expect you to be thankful. Theres plenty of ways they could boost business, for example, if you want more commuters to use the service then throw in free parking in the station for ticket holders aswell. Thats kind of a no brainer :confused:

kiwipower wrote: »
    I have just been informed by a collegue that a timetable for this service had been published before christmas. :D I just spent the last 20min on line trying to find it! :mad: Does anyone know where I will find it? :confused: Or does anyone know what time the earliest train from Limerick to Galway weekdays is leaving and arriving? Also what time is the evening train leaving Galway for Limerick? Thanks

BOBBY wrote: »
    did you read any of the posts above you ???

I presume this comment was directed at my above post? First I would like to thank you for your sarcasm. :cool: Yes I HAVE Read the above posts! But NO they DONOT answer my question!

What I would like to know is what is the proposed timetable NOT how long the journey will take!

Thanks
    Kiwipower

Kiwipower, I heard there was a timetable posted at some stage but never found it either, they probably pulled once they realised the service wasn't going to start this month as planned. I would be very interested to see it though, dying to know if it would be at all feasible for me to use the service. If you have any luck let me know!

Greenacres wrote: »
    Kiwipower, I heard there was a timetable posted at some stage but never found it either, they probably pulled once they realised the service wasn't going to start this month as planned. I would be very interested to see it though, dying to know if it would be at all feasible for me to use the service. If you have any luck let me know!

Hi Greenacres, Thanks for your reply! I am also dying to know if the train will be feasible for me! A Collegue who travels Galway - Athlone had seen it. I think you are right about it being pulled due to delay in start date.

Will keep this site posted if I hear more. :D

Limerick to Ennis service has resumed. (until it gets flooded again)
    Iranród Eireann has renewed calls for a multi agency approach to resolving flooding problems near Newmarket on Fergus, following the re-opening of the rail line at Ballycar.

Normal services have resumed on the Ennis to Limerick line as flood waters subsided following months of disruption and bus transfers for commuters, but concerns have been expressed that the threat of future floods will make the route a seasonal service only.

Iranród Eireann says it's committed to sorting out the flooding problems at Ballycar, but only if Clare County Council and the OPW contribute to flood prevention works.

Spokesperson Barry Kenny says the company will be happy to meet with the county council to discuss the problem but isn't aware of an invitation yet

Meanwhile the re-opening of the Ennis to Limerick line has allowed driver training to resume on the new Western Rail Corridor, with the full line from Ennis to Athenry to be open by March.

The 106.5 million project includes new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell, but locals in Crusheen are still annoyed that the rail line will simply pass them by.

Barry Kenny of Iranród Eireann says they're still considering a stop for Crusheen in future, but private funding will be needed to see the new station go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

INTERCITY PASSENGER rail services are to recommence between Limerick and Galway for the first time in 30 years next month.
    Iarnród Éireannl yesterday confirmed that services on the €106.5 million first phase of the Western Rail Corridor would be officially launched on March 30th.
    The new service will provide five services each way from Monday to Saturday between the two cities and four services each way on a Sunday.
    The restoration of services follows a long campaign by West on Track, and yesterday its spokesman, Colman Ó Raghallaigh, said: “We are very pleased with the news, but work on the second phase from Athenry to Tuam must start this year.”
    He said the estimated €35 million spend on the 17-mile stretch of track from Athenry to Tuam represented “great value for money”.
    The Limerick to Galway service will serve stations at Ennis and Athenry, and new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell. It involves the renewal of 36 miles of track.
    The new service will be just under two hours between Limerick and Galway. Yesterday a member of Clare County Council, Cllr Brian Meaney (Green Party), said: “The AA route planner gives a one hour and 27 minutes journey time between Limerick and Galway by road. Given that there are stops on the line, but I would hope that speeds will improve.”
    Mr Ó Raghallaigh said: “With the train service you are guaranteed that you will be in Limerick or Galway in under two hours, whereas by road you are at the mercy of the vagaries of traffic and may spend 45 minutes on the outskirts of Galway in traffic.”
    He added: “I would hope, however, that Irish Rail will improve their travel times on the route

Looking at the departure times from Ennis and none really suit me. 07.05 is too early and 10.14 is too late!! :(

Oh well, looks like I won't be getting rid of my car anytime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'll defo use it :)
    Thinking of all my boozing sessions in Athenry and no driving the next day :):):)
    And I've often had to work in Galway as well so it'd mean no more taking my car :) All Good!

Just looked at the train times for Limerick to Galway myself. 6am train gets me in at 8:25. Fantastic arrival time. Just why it has to leave so early escapes me. Will this train be sitting somewhere for 30minutes not moving? The trip Galway to Limerick seems to be about 30min shorter! Maybe in the depths of winter it will be useful but definatly not in the summer! I presently wake up at 6am to drive to Galway for 8:30! Maybe they will look at an express train in the future??? I know there are people in between that need the service to, but an express run even as far as athenry would be fantastic for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

kiwipower wrote: »
    Just looked at the train times for Limerick to Galway myself. 6am train gets me in at 8:25. Fantastic arrival time. Just why it has to leave so early escapes me. Will this train be sitting somewhere for 30minutes not moving? The trip Galway to Limerick seems to be about 30min shorter! Maybe in the depths of winter it will be useful but definatly not in the summer! I presently wake up at 6am to drive to Galway for 8:30! Maybe they will look at an express train in the future??? I know there are people in between that need the service to, but an express run even as far as athenry would be fantastic for me!

It stops in Ennis for about 30mins. Still though. it takes the hassle out of driving :)

• Advertisement

It stops in Ennis for about 30mins. Still though. it takes the hassle out of driving :)
    It might take the hassle out of driving (Which is shy I was a big supporter of the train!) But the hassle of getting out of bed between 05:00 and 05:30 to get to work when I usually rise at 06:00 and leave the house at 06:45 during school terms or rise at 06:30 and leave the house at 07:15 outside term time makes a big difference! :rolleyes: Will have a try and see.

I think what makes no sense for me is that the train from ennis to Galway is leaving at a time when it would be quiet on the roads anway. If I was to leave my house at 7.05am I would be in Galway by 8. Then I could leave work at 4.30 avoiding the evening rush and home by 5.30.
    By train I would be leaving Ennis at 7.05 and not making it home til nearly 12 hours later on the last train back. What I was hoping for was a train that was leaving Ennis around the 8 mark, a more reasonable hour(with 3 kids the very early starts arent practical) as leaving by car at this time gets you into Galway at a very busy time into the city.
    I know you can't please all the people all the time, just pissed off that it doesnt suit me at all! 12 years commuting to Galway, maybe I just felt I needed a break from the driving!

So how is the new service working out?
    Is it running to time schedule? (I am particularly interested in what time it is getting into Galway)
    How many people are using the train?
    Does anyone know the price of a weekly commuter ticket?
    I havent had to travel to Galway for a while so have not used it. But am expecting to be back to the Limerick Galway commute in a couple of weeks so I might try it out then while the schools are still running and clogging up the roads!

My parents took the grandkids (there's not mine, I'm not that old) on it, they said it was great, my folks go to Galway fairly regularly and said that it's much more pleasant to be on the train and know when you'll get there rather than being stuck in traffic and having an idea, they'll definitely use it again, then again they are retired and have free travel, but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=686
    You may need a magnifying glass but this is the information you require. Sixmilebridge to Galway is only 19euro return which is very reasonable. Sixmilebridge to Limerick is 11euro return which doesn't really make sense, but it came in dead hand the last two days, while my car was misbehaving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement